Started by leeelmer, July 14, 2020, 04:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leeelmer

New member long time lurker.
So here is the basic plan.
Timber frame small home.
All my timbers are 10"x10" pine.
Posts are going to be 10x10 top plate(I think its called) 10x10
Ridge support beam 20"thick by 10" wide. (so rafters would notch on top of ridge beam, not tie into the side of it)
Rafters are 6"x10"
Roof pitch is 10-12pitch
 Now my question is on tenon size for my 10x10 posts(to tie the top plate that is sitting on the post to posts)
I was going to go 3"thick, full width(so 10") but I cannot for the life of me figure out the length of tenon recommendation
I was thinking 5" so it would go half way threw the top plate beam, but I am open to any suggestions you guys have.
 I was going to use 1" oak pegs and draw bore all the holes, 
The house will be 32'wide by 40' long.
5 posts down long side
5 post on gable(short side)
So 10'feet spacing on long side and 8' spacing on gable or short side for all the posts
11' tall walls(but cut 12"off for the floor)
Timber framing is a very lost art around these parts of Alberta Canada(at least for houses) Some old barns still standing that are timber framed

Edvantage

This sounds like my project. Except my walls are log. My ridge beam will be 10×20, rafters 6x12 4' o.c. house is 32x40.  I milled 500 2x6 pine for my ceiling. On top of that will be 2x12purlins. With rafters for 4' overhangs. Maybe spray foam the 2x12s 10"? Going to check price on that vs rigid foam. Hoping to make the pine into t&g next week. Just Finished milling 6x12 hemlock rafters and 2x12s.  The center column from basement to ridge beam is 27' red pine. I milled 16 flats on it 17" acrossed flats. My spiral stair treads will bolt to the flats. I still need to figure out the wood joinery for my loft floor beams to center column. My problem is making adjustable connection for log settling. 

Thank You Sponsors!