iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of wood is this?

Started by shinnlinger, April 09, 2014, 04:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hello,

I was recently in a house that has every room finished in a different species of wood that was built around 1888.  The owner asked me what species this was, so I figured I would ask you all...

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Texas Ranger

Only a guess, not much to go on, chestnut.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

When I click on the link over head of the photo I see a big fish, held by a fellow with a big smile. :D :D

Hmmm.....basswood. :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Looks diffuse porous from here.  That rules out a lot of stuff.  Could be basswood. Hard to tell with the finish on it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

It's not as funny now when you edit the post and take the fish out. ;)

All kidding aside, about impossible to pinpoint unless we were there. All that finish and no end grain, can't tell ya much. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

coxy

Dodgy Loner

Could be a lot of things. Really no way to tell from the pictures. Sorry.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

Thehardway

Something about it says cherry or mahogany stain over poplar to me.  Also has some visual characteristics of some types of teakwood.  As others say hard to tell from just those pictures.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

pol_bishop25

It's too hard to determine the wood by these pictures. I might be able to guess it, if you can post any picture, which shows the material inside? Otherwise, you can rely on a lucky guess.

mesquite buckeye

Is there a place you could shave the end grain where it wouldn't show, then take a closeup?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

BradMarks

My first thought was mahogany, but as others said, with the stain/finish who knows.

Thank You Sponsors!