iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Requesting advice on timber sale for my land

Started by stdout, February 26, 2014, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Quote from: GATreeGrower on February 27, 2014, 02:58:38 PM
Along with what everyone else said, I'd brush up on Best Management Practices for loggers and landowners so you know how to avoid damaging your land and leave trees during cutting.  And welcome to the tree forum.

I looked on Amazon for that book but no luck.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

Bill, BMP's come from the state forestry/environmental/what ever, department.  Free from their offices.  I have a couple for Texas, but, most recommendations will work, but each state is different.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DeepCreek

Quote from: Texas Ranger on February 27, 2014, 03:41:58 PM
Bill, BMP's come from the state forestry/environmental/what ever, department.  Free from their offices.  I have a couple for Texas, but, most recommendations will work, but each state is different.

Universities and State and Federal Forestry offices frequently have oodles of free literature in the form of PDFs, including BMPs. Don't overlook freebies from neighboring state government or university sites, either. It's all valuable and already paid for with our tax dollars. 

I'm reading some now.   :P

BargeMonkey

Personally, theres more crooked foresters than there are loggers up here, and the timber theft laws where changed in NY because of the guy just down the road, if this tells you something. Get comfortable with a forester, or a logger but realize that everyones making money and sometimes things arent going to be perfect. I buy ALOT of small woodlots and my work speaks for itself, unless the landowner wants to pay the forester from his own pocket.
I recently lost a woodlot to a larger logger once the forester got done with his "smooth" speach of how bigger is better and he might "make more"...  well, it was a lot with 80k foot of saw timber and 200 cord of firewood. There was an over run by quite a bit, wasnt just a little. The homeowner was paid the agreed price and that was it, I think he got screwed on 25k foot minimum. Before the job was done he asked about having a few tops pulled for wood, and the answer was.. "wasnt in the contract"...  lots of other things that didnt seem right. Just becareful when things sound to good, they usually are.

Texas Ranger

I like small loggers, older ones particularly.  They have been around long enough that they know they don't know it all.  Reputations stay around a long time, as do names, check out anyone that  you do business with for money.  Check their background, if you can get an official background check, get it.  Foresters depend on loggers on a job, just as we depend on planters, TSI companies, and mills. Foresters know the loggers, and I am sure the loggers are aware of the foresters.

thecfarm

Not in the contract.  ::)   I had my logger bring some cedar right up to the mill for me,all limbed. This was only the cedar that was in the way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stdout

This is great information. I appreciate all the responses and I've learned a lot.

To the gentleman in Livingston who asked my location: I'm in Cherokee County a bit north of Rusk. I've got some leads on professional consultants nearby and will be making some calls.

This is a great group of people here. I'm so glad to have signed up and asked the question. I have other forest-related questions and will be posing them in a new thread later.

Texas Ranger

stdout

Thank You Sponsors!