iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can a stump grinder be used on rounds?

Started by rholaway, February 03, 2019, 04:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rholaway

I recently cut down 8 large eucalyptus trees and have all of the logs cut down to 1-2 ft rounds ranging from 24-55" diameter. I am planning to split about 30% of them for firewood, but with several hundred rounds on the property, I am looking for other cost-effective options to get rid of them. Short of a tub grinder or big Mobark chipper, is it possible to use a stump grinder to ground down freestanding rounds?

Clark

It's highly unlikely you will be able to use a stump grinder to grind portions of a log...or anything that isn't securely clamped to the ground. 

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Old Greenhorn

First, welcome to the forum!
 Second, I don't think this is an advisable thing to do. I have not tried it with mine, nor would I try. But if you do give it a go, please take a video so we can see how it turned out.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

I don't think he liked the answers he got, hasn't been back since. I just didn't want to see him get hurt.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

maple flats

I just hope he didn't try it with horrible results. It sounds dangerous to me, especially since stump grinders are pulling pretty much towards the operator.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!