iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Am I getting ripped off?

Started by Nick585, November 13, 2018, 08:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

Quote from: mike_belben on November 17, 2018, 09:09:50 AM
Ya have to say an offensive number in a very unoffensive way.  3 days later phone rings.  You get 90% more accepted lowballs when the seller finds you likeable. Be a polite, friendly haggler.
I failed at this one. Guy tried to lowball or rather insult me on some firewood i already had priced at a bargain. I told him I would  pile it in the front yard and burn it before I took his offer. 8)
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

My most valuable load of firewood I ever sold was priced on the phone including delivery. I drove up with the wood and with my 10 y/o son along. The guy came out and told me because it was good seasoned oak he'd pay $10-$15 less than we'd agreed. I told my son to get back in the truck, raised the tail gate and before I got the truck cranked he told me he'd pay what we'd agreed and I told him he could not buy that load of wood. I guess he figured since I'd already loaded and delivered it I did not want to take it home. he was right. I stopped on the way home and gave it away to a friend.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

PA_Walnut

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 11, 2019, 08:30:31 PMI told him he could not buy that load of wood. I guess he figured since I'd already loaded and delivered it I did not want to take it home. he was right. I stopped on the way home and gave it away to a friend.

@WV Sawmiller That is a level of rogue beyond even my own! Nice!!I like it.  :D:D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

mike_belben

Quote from: Kwill on January 11, 2019, 01:27:05 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on November 17, 2018, 09:09:50 AM
Ya have to say an offensive number in a very unoffensive way.  3 days later phone rings.  You get 90% more accepted lowballs when the seller finds you likeable. Be a polite, friendly haggler.
I failed at this one. Guy tried to lowball or rather insult me on some firewood i already had priced at a bargain. I told him I would  pile it in the front yard and burn it before I took his offer. 8)
On a $60 rick of wood that will sell on the next cold day, chewing someone out may be worth it.  Its cheaper than the therapy costs of rude lowballers driving you crazy.  
When i sold ancient equipment for an employer it was really important not to burn bridges.  How many people want parts off a euclid articulated truck thats been parked since i was 9?  had to bite my tongue alot if i wanted to taste any food on it next week.
Praise The Lord

Kwill

Mike i was recently trying to sell my boat on Cl and facebook for 500. This was boat, motor,trailer,trolling motor,fishfinder, and clean titles on all. Guy had the gaul to ask if id take 100 for it. I wasnt so nice with my reply 8)
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

mike_belben

Imagine if it was 3am, the call was from egypt and he offered you $100 for your excavator.  I lived it every day.  You gotta find your uncouple button to survive it or youll kill someone. 
Praise The Lord

Weekend_Sawyer

I have started muting my phone when I go to bed.
I do not like to be awakened by someones text or phishing call.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

GRANITEstateMP

Nick585,

What did you end up getting for you Black Walnut logs?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!