iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How bad did I get ripped

Started by chainsaw_louie, December 17, 2006, 10:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

I needed a new chain for my 24" bar / 84 cutters and didnt want to wait and buy from the Madsens or Bailey's so I went to my local mower/saw/etc shop.  They had Stihl brand chain - 3/8" full comp, chisel, round gullet for a whopping total $39 incl tax.  I bought it but I sure wasnt happy about it.  I have heard that Stilh is the most expensive chain but that is a lot expecially when Madsens is selling 2 for 1 and Baileys is about $14 plus s/h of course.

Ouch!

Tim

sawguy21

That is about right... in loonies. :D I have no idea how the mail order houses can flog the stuff so cheap.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

That is about par for the course,I would say.A couple of things to remember.The dealer is pretty much bound to the price they sell stuff for as dictated by Stihl.It is Stihl chain,good stuff,no doubt.I question if it is that good although I have a few loops myself.

The price at Baileys ,for Oregon chain ,would be perhaps half that amount ,perhaps cheaper,on sale as is now,for an 84 driver loop,at $14.95 as per the catalog setting in front of me as I type.

sawguy21

Stihl does not tell us what to sell it for but they sure dictate our cost.

beenthere

Over the internet, there isn't the expense of having a chain on hand like there is at your local shop. That shop has light bills, heat bills, taxes, etc. etc and someone there while the store is open.

Now, there must be a good story behind why you needed to have that chain sudden like.  :) :) ::) ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawmilllawyer

:P I just checked my receipt because I bought a 25" loop with 84 drivers. .063 for $26.73 plus tax, total about $30.00. But that is down here where things are cheaper.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

chainsaw_louie

Thanks,  in the end, it was my decision to get it now rather than wait for it to travel across the country on the UPS truck....so I paid for my impatience.  I dont mind paying a premium for the stocking/lights/heat etc but 2x seems excessive and I would like to patronize these local guys but they sure dont make it easy - or maybe its the mail order places that are to blame for making me even think that I could get it cheaper.

DR_Buck

Bought my last two 24" loops from Baileys for $14.95 each plus $7 S&H.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

SawTroll

Quote from: chainsaw_louie on December 17, 2006, 10:34:26 AM
I needed a new chain for my 24" bar / 84 cutters and didnt want to wait and buy from the Madsens or Bailey's so I went to my local mower/saw/etc shop.  They had Stihl brand chain - 3/8" full comp, chisel, round gullet ...

...but RS/RSC is also the very best chain, so cheer up.....8)
Information collector.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on December 17, 2006, 01:31:52 PM
Over the internet, there isn't the expense of having a chain on hand like there is at your local shop. That shop has light bills, heat bills, taxes, etc. etc and someone there while the store is open.

Now, there must be a good story behind why you needed to have that chain sudden like.  :) :) ::) ???

Beenthere? I'm sorry, but I have trouble following your explanation. I can't believe that a business on the internet doesn't have the same expenses as the local shop. Unless it's a place called cyberspace. I'm sure there is shipping to keep their shelves stocked, heating and light bills, payroll and taxes being payed by someone. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 17, 2006, 11:51:49 AM
I didn't know that,I thought they had set prices that dealers were bound to.Thanks for clearing that up.

No,you certainly have to make a profit ,why else be in business.It's good chain,I'll say that but not that good,just my 2 cents worth.

SwampDonkey

Oregon chain here is about $20 plus taxes, I find it's as good as manufacturer's chain. I like it even better because it has a line on the teeth for those of us free hand filing. I'm talking chain for a 16 " bar, the one I use to buck up firewood and clean up along the road at the woodlot.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Al, no. I can get a thinning saw from Steve's for $200 cheaper than at Curries. Same saw.

Cut4fun

Something to ask next time you are there, I have heard at stihl dealers that if you buy 2 chains, the 1st one is full price and the 2nd one is half price.

Ianab

QuoteBeenthere? I'm sorry, but I have trouble following your explanation. I can't believe that a business on the internet doesn't have the same expenses as the local shop. Unless it's a place called cyberspace. I'm sure there is shipping to keep their shelves stocked, heating and light bills, payroll and taxes being payed by someone

A 'shop' on the internet may only exist in cyperspace  ::)

The guy could be operating out of his basement with minimal stock, ordering gear from a manufacturer as needed, only working the evenings after his normal job. So no rent, wages etc that a normal shop has. Hard to tell from a web page how big or well stocked a 'shop' is.

Also a lot of people selling the cheapest are just fooling themselves that they are actually making money. There is a difference between turnover and profit.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

There are lots of local shops run that way too. You never know what some shops have until you walk in the door and hear the words 'Oh, but we can order it for ya' ;) One shop told me that all summer and never did order the filter I wanted. I wasn't in a pinch for the filter, but they didn't care anyway. Quite a few chainsaw shops are operated out of a basement or shack across from the house. Or as a side line from a filling station. ;D

I know one fella who is retired and has a shop. He's the owner. His son drives school bus part time and does all the repair work in between.  ;D

I agree on the profit margins. Same applies on ebay auctions, if you wanna give stuff away, fine. But, I'll bet you'll soon find a way to make up for it on another item.

I'll bet the part time, after work fella makes it look like a business with expenses on his tax form. He still has expenses, I don't care how he runs it. ;)

I guess the problem with most responses/statements in a public forum is that it's easy to pick them apart and find exceptions. ;)

sawguy21

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 17, 2006, 06:39:36 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on December 17, 2006, 11:51:49 AM
I didn't know that,I thought they had set prices that dealers were bound to.Thanks for clearing that up.

That is price fixing which is highly illegal. Interestingly, we buy boxed loops of our most common sizes from Stihl. We find that cheaper than making our own chain when we factor the labor in and it sure speeds up service. We still carry bulk for the less common lengths.
We offer the 2nd chain at half price and also do it with the purchase of a new saw. It only pays because of our volume, a small mom and pop shop could not afford it.

rebocardo

>  can't believe that a business on the internet doesn't have the same expenses
>  as the local shop.

Who waits on you at the local counter, a stock picker that makes $8 an hour part time or someone that actually has used a chainsaw making $15-$20 an hour?

A local dealer probably does not stock 1000+ of the same loop.

A local business has to pay a lot more tax per sq foot then someone located in the boonies on acres of land located by a railroad track where they can off load a cargo container of material straight from the OEM.

I have sold over the internet, as a business, from a retail office and from my bedroom, the bedroom is much cheaper :-D

I do not think you got ripped, that is about what I pay at my local Husky/Stihl dealer.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: rebocardo on December 17, 2006, 10:00:55 PM

Who waits on you at the local counter, a stock picker that makes $8 an hour part time or someone that actually has used a chainsaw making $15-$20 an hour?

I assume a small engine repair guy with chainsaw experience, not necessarily making a living at cutting wood. Although, some do on the side. We lost one such fella last year to a logging accident.

A local business has to pay a lot more tax per sq foot then someone located in the boonies on acres of land located by a railroad track where they can off load a cargo container of material straight from the OEM.

No question. But why assume all internet businesses are run in this fashion? Does Amazon? They sell tools also.

I have sold over the internet, as a business, from a retail office and from my bedroom, the bedroom is much cheaper :-D

:D :D :D

SawTroll

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 17, 2006, 06:43:29 PM....
I like it even better because it has a line on the teeth for those of us free hand filing.  ....

So does the Stihl chain, at least the RSC......
Information collector.

SwampDonkey

I do like Stihl thinning saw blades. They have the line on the teeth and some now are coming pre sharpened and set. When I first bought a thinning saw blade you had to set them and sharpen them out of the box.

KnotBB

Has anybody noticed that you don't find Sthil products in the big box stores?  But you do find Huskys.  Sthil decided to support their dealers instead of undercutting them through the big chains with what are considered commodity saws.  Husky opted to go for the big volume.  In this area Sthil and Husky are the favorite saws of fallers and loggers but my local saw shop quit handling Husky (they still repair them) because all they'ed hear was, I can get that saw at XXXX for $50 less.  If we don't support our local dealers there won't be any after awhile.  Just a thought.  If they had more customers they might be able to lower their prices and/or be in business when we need them right now.

I've tried a Sthil chain and can't see any difference but was told the Sthil chain had all the stretch out of it!  lol.  Worked fine till I ran out of adjustment and had to take a link out. 
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

sawguy21

If you need to do that the chain is excessively worn and should be replaced even if the cutters are still good. The cause is usually dirt or lack of lubrication.

SwampDonkey

Can't imagine someone bothering to do that (remove a link) unless they are 50 miles in the bush that day. Otherwise get a new one. $20 your old lady would blow on a trinket to collect dust on the shelf. ;) I'm gonna get it for that comment.  :D

But, getting back on track. I'm in full support of a local shop any day. We can't buy parts online for Stihl or Husky that I know of. Although, I refuse to pay $10 for a darn lock nut for the blade. Anyone got a source? There are 4 in a package I think, and they want $10 for one. Most outrageous thing i ever heard tell of. Of course I can remember the old Deere trimmer I had that I used to cut light bush. The lock not got lost by my brother. Always losing stuff. Anyway, I do remember that thing was $10   20 years ago.  ::)

cheers  ;D

Al_Smith

What in the world is a locknut for a blade?Circular saw,perhaps?
A Stihl bar nut is just an oversized metric nut .The older one were just metric flange nuts,which you could buy by the box if you wanted to through McMaster -Carr or any number of hardware suppliers.

Thank You Sponsors!