iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ripped off

Started by semologger, March 21, 2007, 08:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

i had a dealer try rip me off today. he had a skidder i was looking to trade my 450 timberjack for and he wanted 14000 for his. mine needs motor work done to it. its getting pretty weak but it pulled in 25 semi loads last 2 weeks. so it runs.

anyways he said he would have to have around 8 or 9000 for the tradein. then mine would only be worth 5 or 6000.  but thats how dealers are their stuff gold yours is well you know.

have yall ever been called stupid to your face like that before?
thanks semo

Ed_K

Yup, they do it all the time  >:( . We're logger's, gotta be stupid  :o .
Ed K

Coon

Around here we them guys "Nuckleheads" because you DanGed near have to rap your knuckles offa der heads before the come to their senses.

Went to look at a truck a while back and the guy told me it was in really good shape and that he wouldn't be scared to drive it across the country.  I pointed out atleast 5 major things wrong with it.  The rad had a pinhole and was leaking, the release bearing in the tranny was definately weak, and the brakes were spungy.  He was asking $3000 for the truck and I told him I would give him the full price if he fixed all of the things I found wrong or give him $1000 max.  He told me I didn't know what I was talking about, that there was nothing wrong with the truck and $3000 or no deal.  I really wanted the truck because I know most of its history and the previous owner.  This guy is supposed to be a dealer that does vehicle inspections too.  I ended up walking away before his head met Mr. Knuckles.  I got into my car and phoned SGI (our provincial insurance agency) and the Highway Traffic Board before I even started the car.  A Highway Patrol Officer was only about 10 miles away and told me to wait right there for him to arrive and show him the truck he was selling.  The dealer had his inspection and dealer licenses revolked for 30 days until a further inspection was done.  He now has to have each vehicle inspected by the Highway Patrol before he can even sell it.  The Highway Patrol Board Offered me a job going around inspecting vehicles this summer if I want it.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

beenthere

Now, would ya all do it different if you were the one doin the sellin and talkin to someone doin the buyin? 

Buyer and Seller each have ta figure out what they want to pay and want to get, and if the two figures match - it's a done deal.

Otherwise, drop it and look for somethin else........the way I see it  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

One of those "you give me yours and buy mine" dealers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

What beenthere said. If both of you can establish a price that is fair to all parties, great. If not, move on and keep looking. If Coon had not been the savvy consumer that he is  ;D and bought that truck with all the defects, that would be a rip off.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gary_C

Ah this reminds me of my wife's dad. Everything he had was in "perfect shape, A number 1, not a DanG thing wrong with it!" Like the time he sent me off when it was below zero in a pickup that had "a darn good heater in it!" NOT   Or when he sent me off in a truck and said "it's got good brakes." NOT  And when I told him the brakes did not work at all, he just said "well, they might have just needed some fluid, did you pump them up before you tried to use them?"   :D

He was a great guy, but you never could believe him when he said " ain't a darn thing wrong with it!"  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

semologger

im not to much worried about it. i really didnt like the skidder he had. thats just the way it goes. i know what mine is worth. it just gave me more insentive to fix mine up. i did some work on my motor now its running really good. i prob would of made a mistake if i did trade. i know everything about mine.

he just got the skidder in. he sold it to the guy 2 years prior. so ya know hes got his money out of it.

sounds like you had fun with your father in law gary. now wouldnt you try and get your son in law like that to  :D

Steven A.

I don't know the specifics of your situation but I have been on both the buying and selling end of machinery deals and a seller of stumpage.

You know how you feel from the sellers end....
Here are some of the things the dealer is taking into consideration when he makes you an offer........

This is an older trade that has a very limited market. The seller tells me the motor is weak, I may have thousands in a rebuild in order to sell it for more than scrap price. I'll have transportation in it. My salesmans commision. For sure I'll have some cleanup and repair costs. The seller may have *forgotten* to tell me about something else he knows is wrong with it. That may be the reason he wants to get rid of it. I'll hope to sell it as is but may have to give at least some minimal warranty. I may have to let the buyer try it out for a day and hope that nothing breaks on the demo. If he doesn't buy it I'll have another demo and more money in it. Maybe another demo, more sales time, some shop time..... it may set on the lot for 2 years and I'll have to dump it on an auction.
Even if it is sold as is, I may have to warranty something that breaks right away just to keep my dealerships good name.

After all of this I have to have enough profit to keep my building heated, my office staff paid, my salesman paid, my advertising paid, my insurance paid...... and so on.
Dealers have a lot of hidden costs that consumers don't think about.

Now..... about those trees I sold.....

That logger came into my woods and gave me $3500 for trees he cut in a few days and I KNOW he will get at least $7000 for them. What a rip off! He made $3500 with just a few machines and a couple cheap helpers....... That SOB is getting rich cheating me on those logs.  No wonder he can afford to drive that new F-350.   :(

Something to think about. :)  :)

semologger

you make some good points there sir. are you a salesman or what. lol. no offence i see your point. thanks

Steven A.

Quote from: semologger on March 22, 2007, 08:24:02 AM
you make some good points there sir. are you a salesman or what. lol. no offence i see your point. thanks

I used to sell heavy equipment and now I am a consumer of it.

No offense taken, its not always easy to see the other side unless you've been there.

Thank You Sponsors!