Forum > Health and Safety

Sleep Paralysis

(1/33) > >>

Jeff:
Sleep Paralysis, it's something I have had my entire life, but until recently, it only occurred on rare occasions. Maybe once or twice a year. Lately, I get it multiple times a week and have had it happen more than once in a night.  

Many people have never heard of it. I can tell you, it is terrifying. I'm at a point, where I now know what it is as it happens, but it is no less frightening. They say it is not harmful, but to me, I can't imagine it not being. I had an episode this morning at about 2:30 AM, and decided I didn't want to go back to sleep for fear of it happening again. So, here I sit before noon, about exhausted.

I was just wondering if others here had experienced it? From my research, they say that most people do once in their lives, but few have it like I do.

From Wikipedia:
The central symptom of sleep paralysis is being unable to move during awakening.[1]
Imagined sounds such as humming, hissing, static, zapping and buzzing noises are reported during sleep paralysis.[4] Other sounds such as voices, whispers and roars are also experienced.[5] These symptoms are usually accompanied by intense emotions: such as fear, and panic.[6] People also have sensations of being dragged out of bed or of flying, numbness, and feelings of electric tingles or vibrations running through their body.[7]
Sleep paralysis may include hallucinations, such as a supernatural creature suffocating or terrifying the individual, accompanied by a feeling of pressure on one's chest and difficulty breathing.[8] Another example of a hallucination involves a menacing shadowy figure entering one's room or lurking outside one's window, while the subject is paralyzed.

Some video examples

I find myself not wanting to be away from home because of the episodes and if I am, I warn the people I am with, and how to bring me out of it, because I have the ability to holler for help, where very very few others do, but am very selective of who I am with.  @Magicman  has witnessed episodes.

newoodguy78:
That's scary stuff. I've never even heard of it and certainly don't want to experience it.  Does the position you sleep in seem to effect the frequency of episodes? Could it be stress related? It's a bummer for you and your wife but at least you have someone there if it happens. Best of luck figuring out the cause and hopefully you can get some answers.

Babylon519:
Jeff, there must have been something in the air last night - I live just across the big lake from you. At 3 am, I had a dream I was being attacked from behind, and swear I had my right shoulder kicked at. I remember striking back with my left arm and - next thing I know - I'm on the floor beside the bed in a rowing position. I had hurdled myself straight off and away from the mattress. I actually started laughing at the weirdness of it all, but there's no going back to sleep after that!

I experience panic attacks regularly, whether I'm awake or asleep. If I wake up that way, I'm afraid to fall back to sleep. It's a vicious circle; sometimes the brain plays dirty. I think the sleep paralysis you describe would be even worse. I have borderline sleep apnea, and I wonder if I'm getting these attacks when my breathing has shut down for a moment. Doctor said losing 30 pounds would probably help.  :)   - Jason

Jeff:

--- Quote from: newoodguy78 on March 15, 2018, 12:53:02 PM ---Does the position you sleep in seem to effect the frequency of episodes
--- End quote ---

It absolutely does. If I end up on my back, it can be almost guaranteed to occur.  I had a home sleep study done last spring, and of course it didn't show up that night. They said I had a slight episode of apnea but nothing to be concerned about.  Most of the time I will go out and sleep on the couch as I can put my back to the back of the couch and guarantee not rolling on my back.  

Until the last 6 months or so my sleep paralysis had never manifested anything beyond not being able to move, Its gotten to be a bit more scary of late.

I've debated this a bit with doctorb.  This is not a normal dream. I can even see. I can also instruct the person trying to wake me out of it, if I have help, to keep trying if it isn't working. The bad part is is (tom) that this is an altered state of consciousness. A blurred line between awareness and REM sleep, where dreams can be as real as can be and so can sensations.

Last night I was on the couch, and had it happen. I called for help from Tammy. I could hear her coming, but she stopped in the kitchen. I then heard her coming again. I could feel the couch move as she sat down beside me, at least I thought it was her. But she didn't try to wake me up. I then knew that this was part of the episode. I then heard Tammy actually coming. When Tammy hears me, she comes fast.  Before she got to me I was feeling whatever it was on the couch, poke me in the side with something that felt like a dull pin, and I could feel the couch go back up at the very same time Tammy began to shake me.

I've tried to ride these out with out hollering for help, but its so far impossible for me as the whole deal is unnerving and you just want out of it. And like I said, I am very lucky to be able to do that. I've not even found a case study where anyone else could call for help.  There are times when no one is around and I have to ride it out. You try everything you can do. Bite your lip, try to rock or roll out of bed somehow, something.

I always thought this was a pure mind waked up before the body thing until a few years ago. There was something that happened that night, and this was before I found out I wasn't the only one out there with this. I was in bed, and could not move.  I tried to rock myself hoping I would roll out of bed. I tried and tried. Eventually I succeeded. I rolled out of bed and woke up when I hit the floor, and found, that I was still in bed.

Southside:
Jeff -

I have no experience to offer here, but truly pray that you find relief from this soon.  Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap