iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wisconsin Elk

Started by Otis1, September 05, 2023, 10:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otis1

@beenthere video in a different thread reminded me how different parts of our state are. We have a couple of small elk herds with some very limited hunting opportunities. Elk were historically present here, but wiped out from hunting. The elk that are here now are now were re-introduced in the 1990's. State residents can apply for a tag, according to the DNR website this year had 21,300 applicants for 4 tags. 4 tags were also given to the Ojibwe as tribal rights. I give them my $10 every year for the slim chance. 

Both the pics I have are near Clam Lake, WI. The bull elk was Oct. 2020, the cows were just a couple weeks ago. 

K-Guy

I hope the population goes p for you. They are to me the best wild meat I've ever tasted.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

B.C.C. Lapp

Very similar situation with the elk herds here in Pa.  Many thousands of applications for every chance at a permit.  Still, like Otis1 I buy the chance at a permit every year and rack up points that increase your chances.   Right now I believe I have 8, or 9.  
Tell you one thing we have some massive bulls here.  I was told by a guy that just lives to hunt and knows his stuff that the next record book bull elk will come from Pa.   Ain't that cool?

I agree with K-Guy, elk meat is delicious. Nothing I'd rather eat than elk burgers off the grill.  
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

WV Sawmiller

We are a long way from a huntable population but, in addition to a couple dozen elk that were reintroduced in WV and have reached 80-100 or so, we have the distinction of some naturally repopulation the state. They waded the river from Kentucky and came across. Maybe some of the elk in PA will swim the Ohio River and come over to our Northern Panhandle. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom King

The mile long road that comes through the middle of our place has one curve that crosses our property line on one side of the road.  A few years ago someone bought ten acres there with the idea to raise Elk for meat.  They've turned out to be good pets.

He has one male and two females.  Both females had babies this Spring, but one didn't make it.  I don't know any details.

It's been amazing to watch how fast the velvet horns grow, and shed the velvet.

Old Greenhorn

That velvet is a good cash crop.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Otis1

Elk is definitely high on my list of tasty. I believe that our transplants came from Kentucky. I don't think WI has a points system for this draw though. 

Old Greenhorn, what is the velvet used for and why is it valuable? I've never been around any elk or deer farms.

beenthere

Google it, and read about the medicinal uses for velvet, or the perceived medicinal uses.  ;) ;) :D

as quote:
In ancient China, antler velvet was used as a sexual tonic. The powdered form is now available in most western countries and marketed as a general tonic, an anti-stress aid and also as a medication for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

It's big bucks for the Asian market. Ask @bargemonkey . Not particularly easy to harvest from what I have heard. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

You can basically watch them grow 1"+ of horn a day. 20yrs ago the Asian markets was nuts for it, depending on grade you where 80-100+ a pound, didn't take long to justify buying a 10k bull and cows @ 3-5k each. The middle barn on the farm is all set up with 10' panels, gates, and a hydraulic squeeze just for cutting horns off. At the end of the day if your able to keep a large enough herd there's more money in meat and shooter bulls. Now the cost of the fence is 5-6x what it was, the CWD testing is the downfall of alot of these places especially in NY, we where losing 1 animal a year on average.

Cutting horns off honestly isn't bad, blue kote, toothpicks, cordless sawzall. A big bull in rut you wanna watch, a cow with a calf is honestly alot more dangerous and they will stomp you into the ground FAST. 

BargeMonkey

Fastest I've ever seen one die was this one with the bow.  I think there's 22 ? Of them outback right now. 

Thank You Sponsors!