iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beaver dam troubles..

Started by chain, May 09, 2014, 12:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Looks like I'll have to bust beaver dams again this spring. Can't let up on them, they've stopped-up drainage pipes, built dams across water ways, and of course, are in to cutting some of my freshly planted cypress seedlings! >:(

I'm thinking about investing in a shallow draft outboard such as the 'Mud-Buddy' or 'Go-Devil' to power a craft to break the major dams. On the pipes that are stuffed with limbs, logs, and all sorts of debris, I have the option of raising the flap of the discharge side to allow flood water to push out the stoppage, maybe.

Anyone with experience in the shallow draft out board motor, I would appreciate your advice. Will be running in from 3' to to 6", brush, water weeds and mud to compete with.

Magicman

They run shallow draft boat motors in South Louisiana, but they are mostly (homemade) inboard jobs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

air boat!? not sure, very beautiful creatures with  a very destructive nature,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

bringing the builders in check will be easier than trying to undo their handy work :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

curdog

Not sure about the motor, but I've had real good luck with 330 conibears and buckshot. Beavers can be a real pain.

gfadvm

Snares are cheap and very effective for my beaver problems. My snares are $13 a dozen from The Snare Shop .com

chain

Somewhere down stream there has to be a good sized dam..or two. I saw two beaver swimming up stream the other morning scouting out new territory for a dam. A wet spring as such we have this year they just have to go up and stop every trickle drain they can find and keep backing water.

I regret  selling my old beaver dam-buster boat and motor; once the dams are broken the beaver kinda go nutty and stay out of their dens patching up and vulnerable to the means I use to control. I've tried about every type of water level control, even putting a pipe in middle of dam but turtles will soon get stuck and stop it up.

PoginyHill

An old thread, but a continuing problem. Beavers took up residence in a small pond adjacent to a main road in my woodlot. Here's an account of my short struggle with them.

Removing a beaver dam and watching them rebuild it. - YouTube
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Chuck White

We have a road that has been flooded by beavers, now for the second time this year.

It'll be opened up again within the next few days, hunting season is just around the corner and this roadway is our only access.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Remember - they don't have wheelbarrows so all that mud and leaves used to build/seal those dams was carried in their 2 front paws against their chests. There can't be a harder worker anywhere!

Where I grew up in N. Fla they built a dike along the low side to raise the height of the pond at least a foot. Their dike was at lest 1/4 mile long!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Last year they flooded the road here, but DOT finally removed them. One hung around last winter, but cut all its stems below the crossing and never blocked the bridge. That water level is 4' above natural flow. :D

Got'r plugged pretty solid. :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

Around here, at times the state DOT will send an operator with a gradall out to open up beaver dams, only to have to keep going back. They won't pay a trapper to remove the beavers and then remove the dam. I don't know what they currently do.

Jim_Rogers

In my hometown in MA they had a beaver problem and solved it with a device called a "beaver deceiver".
I believe it is a wire mess thing like a basket that they put in the water upstream from the culvert to prevent the beavers from damming up the actual opening.

I'm not sure if it ever worked but the newspaper did an article about it, showing the deceiver in a photo.

It's my understanding that beaver move upstream after they build a dam. And that they build it where they hear the babbling brook noise.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

I can still recall one of my Uncles having trouble with beavers, way back in the 60's.

He tore the dam out several times, but they would rebuild within a couple of months each time.

I remember hearing him say "I know it's illegal and cruel, but I'm going to get rid of them"!

He waited until January or February when it was brutally cold, and tore out their dam, and doing it that way the beavers food stache was frozen in, also the beavers had no place to go, and they froze to death.

He did get rid of them, but the after thoughts remained for quite a few years!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Maybe we can try feeding them sugar and rot their teeth out? ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!