iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moose hunting

Started by Vautour, October 02, 2020, 05:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vautour

Finally got to try my trailer log arch in action last week..as i was roughing it up in the woods this buck came out looking for a fight but met his match as my nephew was in the crow's nest with a 300 mag with 200gr bullets    

the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

moosehunter

That is a trailer load of my favorite meat! Congratulations to your nephew and all that get to share in the bounty. 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

SwampDonkey

Good stuff. It looks like 3,904 moose were harvested this year in New Brunswick. I know we have all kinds of moose. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

goose63

On my way home from Fargo yesterday I coulg of got one on the north side of town going north by I29

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Nebraska

Looks good  8) a moose hunt is on my list...someday.

sawguy21

I 'harvested' a cow with the company truck one night. ;D Fortunately I was able to drive it to town althogh it was DanG cold with a broken window.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Nebraska on October 02, 2020, 11:19:22 AM
Looks good  8) a moose hunt is on my list...someday.
me too. I also want to do a griz
Necessity is the engine of drive

gspren

I hunted deer in northern Maine several times and saw more moose than deer, it's quite a thrill to be sitting and waiting on a buck deer and have a big bull moose go past at 30 yards. I did get two nice big bucks in Maine, but not that big!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Southside

Used to get asked a lot where the best place was to shoot a moose.  My answer was "Standing in the bed of your trailer", the work begins when the critter drops.  Saw many that were shot 200 yards across a clear cut, down hill, on the other side of a bog....  Even saw a couple of guys who removed the hood of the pickup to act as a skid to get the critter back to the road.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Looks good. 
My step son is a guide and they got a 750# one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ricker

I got a 700 pounder at the butcher.  Didn't have to do any shooting or work getting out.  Guy I know was drawn for a permit but his freezer is full as he had paid for a half a beef critter the week before getting drawn.  He said if you want to pay for the butchering you can have the meat, that was a quick sure will.  

gspren

Quote from: Ricker on October 03, 2020, 08:02:02 AM
I got a 700 pounder at the butcher.  Didn't have to do any shooting or work getting out.  Guy I know was drawn for a permit but his freezer is full as he had paid for a half a beef critter the week before getting drawn.  He said if you want to pay for the butchering you can have the meat, that was a quick sure will.  
Now that's a deal! I've never shot one but I've eaten it a few times and it was great.

sawguy21

As long as it is young and properly prepared. I have only had moose I actually liked once, she cut it into strips and marinated then cooked slow on the grill. I have found the meat too tough and gamey for my liking but I have not had a lot of wild game.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ricker

It sure is a deal.  $1.05 a pound to have it cut up, can't beat it, especially when a decent beef steak these days is at least 8-9 bucks a pound. Add a couple deer and the freezer will be filled nicely coming into winter. I will give him something to let him know we appreciate it.

KEC

I think many people would like deer and moose, etc. better if they went into it not comparing it with beef. Yes, venison can be chewy, but properly cooked (never cooked too long) it is fine fare. If you insist on it not being so hard to chew, cook it in a pressure cooker. A pressure cooker will make the neck or shank of a buck run ragged late in the season so much easier to chew. I heard once of an old boy who shot a 16 pointer. Someone said it must have been tough eating. The old boy to him "it wasn't near as tough eating as the deer you didn't git."

Southside

Cook it very, very, slowly, at a low temperature, off set heat is best, and it will be tender. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Skip

Read in the local Farm and Dairy where a young man from Ohio got killed by a Grizzly in Alaska during moose hunt . In the process of packing the moose out . Said he couldn't get to his gun in time .

petefrom bearswamp

Did 4 moose hunts at a fly in camp in the late 90s.
Always either quartered it or boned it out in the field and packed it out.
I disagree with the low and slow method of wild meat cooking unless making stew.
Bacon grease, high heat and flash fry leaving it nice and red inside.
IMO any wild meat is good, but like lovin' somes better than others.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

KEC

I've used the low and slow method with good results. I have cleaned a fair number of skulls and found that cooking the flesh a high heat can make it very difficult to remove from the skull. cook it on a low heat and it will come off much easier. Don't let it boil. To each their own. 

K-Guy

I'm pretty much ready to try any kind of wild meat but have only had turkey, deer, moose and elk so far. I found the turkey tough and stringy and will stick with store bought. For deer I have learned that deer from softwood forests don't taste as good as deer from hardwood forests. Moose is delicious but elk is king. 

My wife hates it when we see a different animal and one the first things I say is " I wonder what it tastes like?"  :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

gspren

When someone tells me they tried venison once and they don't like it I say if your first taste of beef was an older breeding bull you probably wouldn't like beef. When I shoot an older deer I get sausage, bologna, and burger for chili, spaghetti etc. I prefer younger bucks and does for the normal cuts.

Walnut Beast

Deer backstrap and tenderloins from deer around here I would rather eat than beef tenderloin ( filet mignon) from the stores. The last several beef tenderloins from the store. 16.98-22.98 out of the case.  Didn't hold a candle to my backstrap and tenderloins from my deer 🦌. These deer around here are eating the two crops of corn and beans every year and they are like really good beef. Now if it was beef that came from a managed operation like Southside then that's a different story

Ricker

For both deer and moose I find the biggest thing is not to over cook it.  Well aged or not, best cut or the worst, cooked beyond a medium rare is going to make chew like a leather boot. 

Southside

Feedlot beef put on most all of their fat from soy and corn, neither of which transfer any flavor to the fat and that is there the flavor is with a commodity beef.  Now your deer eat green corn stover, leaf, grain, along with green soy leaves, pods, beans where they get plenty of chlorophyll and the mineral and flavor that comes with it, along with the acorns, ferns, buds, etc.  All bring different mineral profiles to the fat which creates the flavor.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!