iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Came to a non screeching halt.

Started by Southside, May 11, 2021, 10:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

So today I had a 240V, 5 HP electric motor come to a non screeching halt.  No noise, no heat, no magic smoke, went from fine to  think_not  Didn't even trip out the overload breaker as the indicator light never went out.  

Pulled the motor and she is locked up solid - can not move it at all, took a big whiff where the taps go in and around the capacitors and can't smell anything, no discoloration from heat anywhere, she is just dead stuck.  Still under warranty so I don't want to tear it apart and will call in the mfg in the AM.  

Anyone ever experience this or have any idea what might have happened?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Smaller scale but the same thing happened to my DeWalt hammer drill.  Working great, then nothing.  No sparks or smoke or smell.  I still need to pull it apart.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mike_belben

Maybe you scattered some part of the armature or had a stator magnet/coil come loose or something mechanical inside.  Death by interference?  Big ball of copper yarn inside?
Praise The Lord

Southside

Loose magnet was my gut feeling. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

muggs

Southside

Makes sense, but no smell, no noise, no slow failure - just stop.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Youll hear a bearing coming 2 towns over when the armature starts smacking the stator.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!