Forum > Drying and Processing

slab flattening

(1/7) > >>

xlogger:
I got my new 25" planer in and been using a mdf board on my 20" planer to flatten the first side but looking now at flattening on mill like some of you do. On the bi metal blades you use what size do you find best to use?

YellowHammer:
I have tried several different metal bands.  However, without question, the best is the WM carbide.  If not used for routine sawing, but just used for flattening one side of a slab, it will last for hundreds of slabs, and more than pay for itself.  Also, you don’t need to flatten the whole slab, side to side, full face, but only need to get a good, continuous “skid mark” more than 8 inches wide, from one end of the slab to the other.  Then simply put this skid mark down on the planer bed for the first pass, and it will stabilize the slab and feed it flat though the planer.  Ball game.  

boonesyard:

--- Quote from: YellowHammer on May 28, 2021, 08:18:26 AM ---I have tried several different metal bands.  However, without question, the best is the WM carbide.  If not used for routine sawing, but just used for flattening one side of a slab, it will last for hundreds of slabs, and more than pay for itself.  Also, you don’t need to flatten the whole slab, side to side, full face, but only need to get a good, continuous “skid mark” more than 8 inches wide, from one end of the slab to the other.  Then simply put this skid mark down on the planer bed for the first pass, and it will stabilize the slab and feed it flat though the planer.  Ball game.  

--- End quote ---
This is exactly what we've been doing lately, and it works great for anything that will go thru the planer. We ordered a Woodmizer carbide 2 months ago, still don't have it, but the turbo 7s work pretty good.

xlogger:

--- Quote from: YellowHammer on May 28, 2021, 08:18:26 AM ---I have tried several different metal bands.  However, without question, the best is the WM carbide.  If not used for routine sawing, but just used for flattening one side of a slab, it will last for hundreds of slabs, and more than pay for itself.  Also, you don’t need to flatten the whole slab, side to side, full face, but only need to get a good, continuous “skid mark” more than 8 inches wide, from one end of the slab to the other.  Then simply put this skid mark down on the planer bed for the first pass, and it will stabilize the slab and feed it flat though the planer.  Ball game.  

--- End quote ---
smiley_thumbsup

xlogger:

--- End quote ---
Just to make sure before I order, is it the Razortip carbide 7° that you like?
I see where Boonesyard has been waiting for his awhile now on his, I have some Kasco 4° that I will try while I'm waiting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap