Forum > Forestry and Logging

please help...hire orester or not?

(1/50) > >>

I don't know if this is the right forum but here goes....

Last week I was approached by a logger that wants to cut hardwoods (maple, red oak, white oak, cherry. ash) from approx 65 ac in 4 parcels.  Some of this bush has been logged approx 25 years ago and other other hasn't been cut since 50 years.  He wants to take more or less everything over 18" diameter and say it will be ready again in 15 years if I don't allow the neighbor to tap it again.  Neighbor has had a maple syrup pipeline in one 15 acre parcel for 7 years and the logger says it has cost me $10,000 in lost value because the wood is now stained.

I told him I was thinking about hiring a forester to mark the trees and he said it was a bad idea because they only ruin your bush.  He said they mark way to many small trees and leave too many big ones and their #1 goal is for them to come back in a few years and charge again for marking.

The logger has given me several references.  I have talked to two of them and both are happy.  They say he pays before he starts falling and he does a good job.  Talked to a forester and he said a diameter limit cut is a bad idea because be may wind up clear cutting small sections where all the trees are mature.  I went to look at a job he did and it seems like he opened the bush up nicely to let sunlight in.  Not clear cut by any stretch.  There is alot of brush lying on the floor but this is the owner's responsibility to clean up.

The logger is offering $30,000 CDN dollars for an estimated 35,000 bdft over approx 65 acres.  The logs are destined for over seas.

Interested in any thoughts, opinions or advice you all may have.

Thanks

mike_belben:
boy youve got a hot button question there and i dont think any blanket answer will work.  it could go east or west and you probably wont know until after the timber is gone.  

your age, the forests maturity, and your market timing suggest a pretty big harvest is wise right now, the prices are up and you arent getting younger. but the quality of the wood vs the offer price and local market conditions require an experienced eye to determine with certainty if it is a great, fair, or poor offer.  this is part of what a forestor is for. just like loggers,  there are good, bad and indifferent forestors too.

good on you for the diligence, it will pay off.  youve seen his jobsites, called his references and are still seeking more education.  seriously, good for you. not many do all that and it can cost them dearly.  i think you are just the person to read this exceptional publication.  it is 100 pages and will learn you up fast.  click the brick colored link to download the PDF

Your Woodlands Portfolio - Woodland Owner's Forestry Guide | Tennessee Timber Consultants, LLC

Blue Noser:
Listen to the forester.

BargeMonkey:
 Ive got a mixed opinion on this, 80%+ of what I buy is private stumpage similar to what you've described so im not going to say you HAVE TO have a forester BUT ive seen so many people get ripped off and your left holding the bag or having a mess. How much is the forester going to charge ? Be my first question. 

Southside:
Would you blindly invest your retirement money into an account run by someone you have never done business with? Who tells you the other guy is the one after your money, and you really don't know the financial world inner workings? 

That is what you are facing. Could be the best move you ever made. Without someone representing your interest, it could be a disaster.

Personally if I am in unfamiliar territory then I find it worthwhile to hire a professional guide. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap