iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Protection Boots

Started by nativewolf, June 26, 2021, 10:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Chainsaw protection boots have been a topic of concern to some people so I thought I'd do a thread and include some products we have found.  I distinguish chainsaw protection boots as those that offer some degree of cut protection.  They should also have steel toes as chainsaws cut right through composite toes .  Composites are great for crush protection in the winter but not much use for chainsawing.   There are lots of great safety boots out there these are just niche.

Haix- purchase online or via a reseller.  Three versions make the cut the protector prime, the protector ultra, and airpower xr 200.  $310-365.  I've worn them for 2 years and can comment a bit.  Mine fell apart after less than a year, separating between soles and uppers near the toes.  Replaced on warranty but did again.  Others have had the same issue.  Comfortable enough though.  Warranty was honored with no fuss.  Very bright Euro colors, good for woods but not so good showing up at an old farmers hourse.  Fire Fighter Boots | EMS Boots | Law Enforcement Boots | HAIX Bootstore

Labonville - Our newest boots and it was a surprise to me to find they offered a cut proof boot in traditional leather finish with a loggers boot heel.  Fairly comfortable.  Hard to keep waterproofed.  Not falling apart after about a year of use.  $290 which is still expensive but a bit less.  

8" Kevlar / Poly Steel-Toe Boot

I have not worn these but came across when searching:  

https://www.us.arbortec.com/collections/class-2

It is a chainsaw boot made by arbortec    .  I think that these offer the highest protection, the haix are Class 1 I believe and these are Class 2.  Not sure the class rating on the labonville.  One advantage of these would be that they offer greater color choice, still Euro bright but also more traditional colors.  They also offer a class 3 boot which must be a bit like chaps on the boots.  I'd be very interested if any forum members had tried any arbortec boots.   Vendors are offering the boots for the same price range as upper end Haix.  

Stihl 
Stihl offers a performance forestry boot that has cut proof protection.  I cannot find out if it has a steel or composite toe.  Listed on website for $299.  I guess a stihl reseller would sell you a pair.  

Phanner 

Several users have the Phanner chainsaw pants, we like them but they do get dinged up in the woods and we had to replace after a year.  Still, we like the pants.  

https://pfannercanada.ca/product-category/footwear/boots-shoes/

These are the boots.  Bright?  wow...sunglasses needed.  Very pricy for the 2 class 1 protection boots but they also offer class 2 for a bit more.  More heel than the Haix, I'd be interested in trying a pair on but not so much that'd I'd order and have to go through the returns.  

I'll post some more later.  Just thought folks should know there are a few choices.

Liking Walnut

Clark

Good topic, NW!

I'm on my second pair of chainsaw boots so I can offer limited insight.

Of the 6 pairs of Haix Airpower in the shop all of them have experienced the same failure between the leather upper and the rubber sole. Fairly comfortable boot and I would gladly have bought them again if it weren't for that little (or big!) problem.  

I switched to the SwedePro kevlar chainsaw boots. Very much a traditional logging boot style with some kevlar stitched in. They look very similar to your Labonville boots. I forget what level of chainsaw protection it has but there is also a steel toe in it. Very comfortable and they appear built to last. I'm only about 3 months into this pair but so far so good.

There are several varieties (Arbortec Scafell lite, Arbpro Andrew Cervino, Pfanner Sirius, and possibly the Haix Protector Prime) that cosmetically look slightly different but I think are all the same boot. There are currently 2 or 3 pairs of those running around the shop but they haven't been used for very long so I don't know how they will hold up. 

If I had to recommend a boot right now I think it would be the SwedePro/Labonville boots. 

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

John Mc

The Haix XR200 boots are class 1 chainsaw protection. They are also a leather boot with a traditional look. These are also the most comfortable work boots I have ever owned. They are as comfortable as the best pair of hiking/backpacking boots I have ever owned. I've had a pair of these for about 6 years now, and have not experienced any problems with the sole separation others have reported. (I do avoid drying them by the fire in colder weather. I had a pair of hiking boots which experienced sole separation which I'm told was caused by warming my feet and the bots by the fire.) These can be resoled by Haix

The Haix Protector Ultra and the Protector Prime are both Class 2 chainsaw cut protection. I've never owned a pair, but am considering the Ultra for my next pair of boots (The Ultra has 8" uppers. The 9" height on the primes is taller than I want to go.) I've had such good luck with the XR200 boots, I figured I'd give the Ultras a shot. Has anyone had the sole separation issues with the Prime or Ultra boots, or is it just the XR200 with that issue. (Haix does not resole these Vibram-soled boots.)

Haix does have factory sales from time to time. They also sell factory seconds (with cosmetic defects) for about 25% discount, when available.

Labonville makes some great stuff. However, the Labonville boot does not seem to have any certification for chainsaw cut protection - at least not that I've found in the description. They are also available only in a EE width - not an option for me, since I wear a C width boot.

I was not aware that Pfanner sold chainsaw boots. Some of them (including a couple with class 2 protection) are fairly reasonably priced. I'll have to check them out. I just wish there was a dealer near me so I could try them on (same goes for their chainsaw chaps/pants - I'd like to lay eyes on them before I buy.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Coopthecutter

Even though they come with a hefty price tag and don't have the greatest longevity, Haix protector primes are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. XR 200s were a close second.  I've never tried the other boots NW listed but I've worn every Red Wing Georgia Thorogood etc and they don't come close to Haix comfortability. My local cobbler can resole the protector primes for about $130 (Haix won't resole PPs) so to me it's worth paying a premium to be comfortable. I've heard there's some HIGH dollar boots out there ($500 or more) that last longer than a year and are very comfortable but I've yet to try any of those

John Mc

Coop - How long have you had your Protector Prime boots, and how have they been holding up?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Coopthecutter

Quote from: John Mc on June 27, 2021, 06:56:43 PM
Coop - How long have you had your Protector Prime boots, and how have they been holding up?
I've had them 7 months, they are doing pretty good by Haix standards. The sole has plenty of tread left but it is begining to separate slightly on the inside of the left boot, towards the front on the arch. That started happening around month 3, I sent a picture to Haix and they sent me a new pair within two weeks free of charge. The speration is minimal and doesn't effect the performance of the boot in any way. I wore XR200s for 4 years before I got the primes and I was lucky to get 8 months per pair out of them. I don't think you could ever accuse Haix of making a durable product, but show me a more comfortable boot that lasts longer

John Mc

Coop - do you log professionally, so you are using the boots full time, or just occasional use.

I'm not logging professionally, but my boots are out working in the woods far more than any of the other landowners I know in my area. I'm not sure why I've had such good luck with them when others have had issues. My six years of part-time use probably adds up to 1.5 to 2 years of 40 hr/week use.

I did have some Merrill low-cut hikers (not for chainsaw use) that were constantly coming apart. I could barely get a year out of them. I kept buying them because they fit me well. Finally heard that Merrill had some known issues with their adhesive. They seem to have resolved it, since my current pair is 2 years old and doing very well.

barbender

I'm hoping Haix has figured their adhesive out, too. I think I'm at about a year on my current XR200's and the sole hasn't seperated yet👍 They fit well and are a sturdy boot, but I don't find them overly comfortable (they are very stiff). One question, does the Kevlar cover the composite toe cap making the material a moot point? I keep buying them because they check all of the boxes for me. Chainsaw cut protection, safety toe, uninsulated, AND Gore-tex waterproof. If I'm paying $300 for boots I want all of those, and if I can get two years out of them I'm satisfied.
Too many irons in the fire

Coopthecutter

Quote from: John Mc on June 27, 2021, 08:36:19 PM
Coop - do you log professionally, so you are using the boots full time, or just occasional use.

I'm not logging professionally, but my boots are out working in the woods far more than any of the other landowners I know in my area. I'm not sure why I've had such good luck with them when others have had issues. My six years of part-time use probably adds up to 1.5 to 2 years of 40 hr/week use.

I did have some Merrill low-cut hikers that were constantly coming apart. I could barely get a year out of them. I kept buying them because they fit me well. Finally heard that Merrill had some known issues with their adhesive. They seem to have resolved it, since my current pair is 2 years old and doing very well.
I work for a land clearing company so any given day I'm truck driving equipment operating and cutting timber. I used to cut timber full time and that was when I was only getting 8 months out of my XR200s

Skeans1

For what you guys pay for those boots I sure as heck wouldn't be buying another set. My calked boots are Wesco they have 5 years of full time falling use and still kicking do they have all the fancy features of the euro boots no. Can they have a safety or steel toe yes and some guys put on Kevlar on the outside, but remember that's a last line of defense if you're cutting into your boots you guys should look at how you handle a saw. 

These old girls are a spring heel Wesco calked boot for timber use as you can see the toes are curled from years of working low something I'm not sure you could do with a safety toe or not. That said a lot of the ground I've been around use to require safety toes now they don't they're a hazard to the guy wearing if something falls on your foot well wearing steel toes you can loose your toes.

Block Heel Nick's loggers these aren't a saw boot they're a good equipment/truck driving boot once broken in

John Mc

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 28, 2021, 07:12:13 AMif you're cutting into your boots you guys should look at how you handle a saw.

The same could be said about chaps. I've never even nicked my chaps or my boots. I still wear them, because no one plans to have an accident.

Coopthecutter

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 28, 2021, 07:12:13 AM
For what you guys pay for those boots I sure as heck wouldn't be buying another set. My calked boots are Wesco they have 5 years of full time falling use and still kicking do they have all the fancy features of the euro boots no. Can they have a safety or steel toe yes and some guys put on Kevlar on the outside, but remember that's a last line of defense if you're cutting into your boots you guys should look at how you handle a saw.

These old girls are a spring heel Wesco calked boot for timber use as you can see the toes are curled from years of working low something I'm not sure you could do with a safety toe or not. That said a lot of the ground I've been around use to require safety toes now they don't they're a hazard to the guy wearing if something falls on your foot well wearing steel toes you can loose your toes.

Block Heel Nick's loggers these aren't a saw boot they're a good equipment/truck driving boot once broken in

Just checked out Nicks website, those boots do look pretty tempting and if ya get 5 years out of them they are definitely worth the money. Personally I wear Haix for comfort, as far as the chainsaw protection goes I have the same thoughts as you on that subject, although I will say cutting hardwoods on the East Coast we tend to chase a lot of low stumps and if you bore cut and are lazy/careless/tired but I'll just cut this one last tree and call it a day, you tend to put yourself in more situations where hitting your feet is a possibility. I have yet to test Haix chainsaw proofing as of yet

barbender

I think we stand a lot more of a chance cutting our feet with the 18-24" bars we run in the east. Comparing West coast practice to pretty much anywhere else in the U.S. is apples to oranges really. I mean, Skean's shorty bar is a 28", I don't think that at 6'5" I could even run that thing across my toes😁

Skeans1

Quote from: Coopthecutter on June 28, 2021, 11:26:41 AM
Quote from: Skeans1 on June 28, 2021, 07:12:13 AM

These old girls are a spring heel Wesco calked boot for timber use as you can see the toes are curled from years of working low something I'm not sure you could do with a safety toe or not. That said a lot of the ground I've been around use to require safety toes now they don't they're a hazard to the guy wearing if something falls on your foot well wearing steel toes you can loose your toes.

Just checked out Nicks website, those boots do look pretty tempting and if ya get 5 years out of them they are definitely worth the money. Personally I wear Haix for comfort, as far as the chainsaw protection goes I have the same thoughts as you on that subject, although I will say cutting hardwoods on the East Coast we tend to chase a lot of low stumps and if you bore cut and are lazy/careless/tired but I'll just cut this one last tree and call it a day, you tend to put yourself in more situations where hitting your feet is a possibility. I have yet to test Haix chainsaw proofing as of yet
5 years is nothing most guys go a lot longer on boots. As far as comfort goes nothing beats a custom set of boots I've done the Danners and whites off the shelf boots they would kill my back/knees.
Are your feet in anymore danger then what we do walking down the log limbing and sometimes bucking well standing on the log still? 

barbender

Yes, when you are tripping around limbing the smaller stems from the ground that we contend with.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 28, 2021, 07:12:13 AMThese old girls are a spring heel Wesco calked boot for timber use as you can see the toes are curled from years of working low something I’m not sure you could do with a safety toe or not. That said a lot of the ground I’ve been around use to require safety toes now they don’t they’re a hazard to the guy wearing if something falls on your foot well wearing steel toes you can loose your toes.

Canada West boots makes a similar boot. Model 14366. You can't buy direct unless in their outlet in Winnipeg. $350 at Leather King, no steel toe. Pricey? Not really for a Canadian made leather boot. A pair of hike boot sis $300.

Viking boots is what I wear though, thinning and chainsaw work, with chaulk bottom, kevlar. They are about $290, model 69. Need water proof because softwood back east here grows on wet ground, unless plantation on an old field.

Canada West Lace Work | Canada West Boots
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Big_eddy

I was looking at these from STC - but they have composite toes which made me shy away. I too believe a steel toe is much more protection than a composite toe - especially for my typical usage bucking firewood logs off a pile.

How does a composite toe achieve a chainsaw protection rating?

STC

dgdrls

Does anyone have experience with the
steel toe covers??

Seem like a good solution

D

Greyhound

A few years ago, I broke a bone in the arch of my foot, so I picked up some of the Pfanner Matterhorns.  They are very stiff to protect my arch, super comfortable, but pretty heavy.  They seem to be holding up well, but I'm no pro, so they definitely don't get used every day, more like a couple days per month.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: dgdrls on June 29, 2021, 08:51:24 PM
Does anyone have experience with the
steel toe covers??

Seem like a good solution
Too much :D  We had a rule that nobody was allowed in the steel room (stock storage area where raw material was cut for jobs) without steel toes. Composite toes didn't count. So when I wanted to go check stock, or troubleshoot one of the machines in there I had to put those 'clap-traps' on. I hated them. Made you sound like a Clydesdale walling on a cobblestone road. We also required metatarsal covers in there, so the folks assigned there would get the proper boots (company paid), but temp folks hade to use the strap-on variety. They flop around a lot. I am not a fan. But if you need them, you need them.
The last couple of weeks I have been felling and limbing a lot of small trees and found that quite often as I walked up the tree clearing limbs, I lost track of my feet and would have to hesitate and move my feet so I could figure out where they were in relation to the bar tip. There were a couple of times I popped a limb off only to find my foot right underneath it. It made me work a bit more careful going forward keeping in mind where my feet were, or might be.
Also did this a couple of weeks ago just testing a saw after adjustment.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

I would think those steel on adds would catch every piece of brush that they would come in contact with.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chep

I have blown through about 5 pairs of the labonville leather saw boots over the years. Cant ever get more then 1.5 year put if them then they fall apart. I really liked the low heel option as tall heels mess with my back. Why they only had ee wide I have no idea? Way to wide for my foot. Not bad at first then they stretch and are to sloppy. Had to wear a heavier sock

I have the haix airpower 200. Saw pro and safety toe. Going on 2 years. Chopping, climbing,milling. Awesome 3 season boot. Not for deep winter. I spend a lot of time on spurs climbing and they have been great for that to. 
I am really hard on my footwear and the haix have been a real surprise! 

Tacotodd

Tom, that's how you know that it's time to backup and regroup as to how you do things!

+1 on the low heel @chep
Trying harder everyday.

John Mc

Quote from: chep on June 30, 2021, 11:13:26 AMI have the haix airpower 200. Saw pro and safety toe. Going on 2 years. Chopping, climbing,milling. Awesome 3 season boot. Not for deep winter. I spend a lot of time on spurs climbing and they have been great for that to.

I've not spent any time on spurs. I would have guessed that you would want their Prime or Ultra boots for that, since they are taller, and I believe slightly stiffer. I guess that is not really needed?

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Tacotodd on June 30, 2021, 11:21:38 AM
Tom, that's how you know that it's time to backup and regroup as to how you do things!

+1 on the low heel @chep
Yup, first time in half a century and that was close enough. It was a 28" bar and the chain was just spinning to a stop. I always run the chain through a couple if cuts after I sharpen just to make sure it cuts well. Boots were only a month old.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: John Mc on June 30, 2021, 11:42:01 AM
Quote from: chep on June 30, 2021, 11:13:26 AMI have the haix airpower 200. Saw pro and safety toe. Going on 2 years. Chopping, climbing,milling. Awesome 3 season boot. Not for deep winter. I spend a lot of time on spurs climbing and they have been great for that to.

I've not spent any time on spurs. I would have guessed that you would want their Prime or Ultra boots for that, since they are taller, and I believe slightly stiffer. I guess that is not really needed?
I have spent very little time with my spurs on ( it's not pretty, seeing an old guy do that which doesn't do it all the time), but have done it when I need to. I did however spend a fair amount of time on antenna towers and in both cases it seemed to me what was most important was having good strong steel shanks.to spread the  load on your arches. Not much else counted except having it all snug but not tight. But real climbers here might have a better take. I do know that there is nothing more miserable than being on a tower for a couple of hours without steel shanks In your boots. Climbing spurs should be about the same I think.

dgdrls

Quote from: thecfarm on June 30, 2021, 05:37:39 AM
I would think those steel on adds would catch every piece of brush that they would come in contact with.
What brush?  ;)
D

thecfarm

Limbs, brush almost the same thing.  :) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Give'm some wild raisin and mountain holly thickets to wade through, cut'n black spruce. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dgdrls

I think my humor was too subtle,

Agreed, brush could be a deal breaker
stay safe folks

D

John Mc

Quote from: dgdrls on July 02, 2021, 06:28:12 AM
I think my humor was too subtle,

Agreed, brush could be a deal breaker
stay safe folks

D
Having spent some time living and hiking in Central NY, I knew where you were coming from.

eastcoastsoxfan

My feet needed a break from the rubber vikings so I just bought a pair of the stihl (stc) one's at local dealer, $279 cad.
It was nice that I could actually try them on.
Usually I'm 10.5-11. they run a little big, 10s fit nice. 
They're comfortable, think they'll be more comfortable as they get broken in, not as heavy as my danner pronghorns hunting boots.
The toe is composite. They say waterproof... we'll see!
I'm in the woods most everyday and usually running a chainsaw, I'll update on they hold up.

SwampDonkey

I'll stick with my Viking 69's with chaulks. In brush and rolling limbs and sticks and slippery wood I'd be on my ashes more than standing without good chaulks. I gave up on leather boots years ago in the wet softwood ground. My knees and feet couldn't take that anymore. The boot bill just goes on the T2222 tax form for my spring bonus. ;D

eastcoastsoxfan

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 09, 2021, 06:01:37 PM
I'll stick with my Viking 69's with chaulks. In brush and rolling limbs and sticks and slippery wood I'd be on my ashes more than standing without good chalks. I gave up on leather boots years ago in the wet softwood ground. My knees and feet couldn't take that anymore. The boot bill just goes on the T2222 tax form for my spring bonus. ;D
I'm cutting big ones after a harvester, I had caulks 20 years ago doing pct, I'm thinking I might add caulked vikings for wet days, that slippery wood was extra slick in the rain today

mudfarmer

Could not find the viking 69 anywhere that would ship to the US and found posts on FF back to 2015 saying the same  :-\

Have some Husqvarna on the way from Bailey's that look like a Viking?? Caulks and felt insoles, chainsaw rated, steel toe, waterproof, sounds good if they fit ok and last. @DeerMeadowFarm was someone that posted about them way back I think and maybe could offer an opinion.

Listening to SwampDonkey's experience and having been running clearing saw in wet beech thickets I really tried to get the viking but a lot of posts about them being uncomfortable if you get the 65 instead of 69 and that was all that seemed to be available. The border is closed or this would be a simple problem to solve I guess.

thecfarm

I wear the viking VW64. If I am outside working, they are on my feet. Even in the garden.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: mudfarmer on July 15, 2021, 06:52:45 PMHave some Husqvarna on the way from Bailey's that look like a Viking?? Caulks and felt insoles, chainsaw rated, steel toe, waterproof, sounds good if they fit ok and last. @DeerMeadowFarm was someone that posted about them way back I think and maybe could offer an opinion.

Yes I have the Husqvarna rubber saw boots with the laces in the back. Every time I put them on for the first time of the year that I use them they feel weird but honestly they are very comfortable to work in. They are my go to boot for cutting in very wet, snowy, or muddy conditions. Unlike Ray I don't wear them for ordinary outdoor garden, as they are heavy and I prefer my Lacrosse Burly's for that. I have two pairs all the time; one for hunting and one for everything else. When my everything else pair gets too worn or the leaks are no longer patchable (I use rubber tube patches) then I retire my hunting pair to everything else work and get a new pair for hunting. I get 3-4 years out of them.
My everyday leather boot however is also my chainsaw leather boot. Oregon Fiordland. These are heavy as well but I have NEVER had a leather boot more comfortable than these. I have replaced the laces with 550 Paracord once they wore out and they are still going strong. I also repaired the black toe cap with that rubber imbedded paint-on toe cap stuff once the original one was scuffed through to the actual boot leather. I think I've had them for 6 or so years and while I don't wear them every day, I wear them quite a bit. I probably should buy another pair before they stop making them and put them on a shelf in my closet!

SwampDonkey

I use these for hiking and gardening.

W.M. Moorby 2816 with Vibrum sole. Made in Canada by Canada West Boots of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The soles won't fall off these. I was in Mark's Work Wearhouse the other day looking at shoes and boots, they have no clue what a good boot or shoe is. Nothing but junk. I'm after a casual shoe by the same company, which is on summer vacation fro 3 weeks. The other company with a similar shoe is also on summer vacation, plus it would be a 4 week back order on top of that. So I am patiently awaiting the kind lady, who runs a boot shop, to let me know once vacation is over if I can get some decent shoes. Lordy, it's come down to this!! ::) :D :D

SwampDonkey

These are my going to town shoes. Samuel Hubbard. :)

Dress Fast Men's Leather Shoe

mudfarmer

The Husqvarna boots have been working very well for me, no regrets would buy again. Natural rubber and made in Canada. Sizing is good, go up a full size for felt liners. Bailey's has the caulks

John Mc

I had some Jonsered rubber chainsaw boots. They were OK when I had to work in wet conditions, but if I had to do any significant amount of walking, they were incredibly uncomfortable. They would rub my shins raw. I tried wearing heavier, longer socks, but it made no difference. I'm not sure if the felt liners would have helped. I never found out, since I did not buy them big enough to fit with the liners in. I ended up giving them away to someone who lives on 10 acres, so does not have as much ground to cover (she also has smaller feet, so can fit felt liners in them).

Kodiakmac

I bought a pair of Canada West Foresters last year.  I am quite happy with them.  Large, strong pull tabs; triple E width.  Leather is quite thick and took some breaking in, but they're a good solid boot.

Models 14394 and 34394 are straight loggers boots.  14366 are caulks.

Canada West Lace Work | Canada West Boots
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

dustintheblood

And the fun begins.  Shopping for new work boots is easy they said.

Not so much.... apparently my dutch self with size 14 makes Christmas shopping for myself not easy  :D :D :D :D

My Haix are still performing like rock stars, but for decently priced, north american made, general-around-the-sawmill workboots, this is getting ridiculous
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: dustintheblood on December 19, 2021, 06:20:26 PM
My Haix are still performing like rock stars, but for decently priced, north american made, general-around-the-sawmill workboots, this is getting ridiculous
ain't that the truth!  I get a stipend every year toward new boots.  I have simple needs, 10.5 EEE, North American made, safety toe, waterproof. Local boot store had 45+ different boot styles...only 8 met requirement number 1  :(
I ended up with a pair of Thorogood (made in USA), mid height boots.  I use these while working in the shop, running equipment, and in my wood yard. On month 2 and they broke in good, seem to be wearing well, and I'm happy, and so aren't my feet.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

John Mc

Quote from: dustintheblood on December 19, 2021, 06:20:26 PMMy Haix are still performing like rock stars, but for decently priced, north american made, general-around-the-sawmill workboots, this is getting ridiculous

Too bad. Haix just had some great sales on their chainsaw boots. (Though even the sale price is a bit much for just general purpose, around the shop boots.)

barbender

For a general shop boot, I just got to "wear test" a pair of Haix boots. They aren't saw protection boots, but just a nice pair of safety toe, mid hieght work boots. Comfy out of the box, Gore-tex waterproof. I think they are around $200.    On another note, I'm hopeful Haix got the outsole delamination problem cured on the XR200 chainsaw boots. I just got to around 18 months on my current pair, the other ones failed around a year.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: dustintheblood on December 19, 2021, 06:20:26 PM
And the fun begins.  Shopping for new work boots is easy they said.

Not so much.... apparently my dutch self with size 14 makes Christmas shopping for myself not easy  :D :D :D :D

What kind of boot do you want? Canada West makes boots and places like Herbert's Boots at Alliston or Innisfil, Ontario retail them. Have a look at the Canada West Catalogue and call'm up. Canada West Boots Catalogue

Stoneyacrefarm

I just took advantage of the Haix boot sale. 
It was like a Black Friday special that ran for a week. 
Certain pairs of boots would go on sale for a 5 hour window. 
I bought a pair of XR 200's for one of my helpers and bought a pair of Missoula's and Protector Ultras for myself. 
It worked out to be buy 2 get 1 free. 
I couldn't complain too much. 
My Protector Primes are going on year 2 with no issues so I think the sole separation issue is fixed. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Walnut Beast

barbender

Why do saw boots have to look like they were designed by Elton John?

Walnut Beast

All the  boots like that are red they have. I think it's pretty cool 😎

barbender

I don't even like the orange laces on my Haix XR200 saw boots. I would try their taller boots but they only come in neon colors🤦‍♂️

Walnut Beast

I hate to tell you I would like them to 😂. I hear you though! A neutral brown is tuff to beat

KWH

So you can follow the yellow brook road?

230Dforme

Good afternoon 
Barbender, because they were designed by Elton John 😳
If I showed up in some of that euro stuff around here in the Adirondack Mountains of New York 🙈,
well anyway, Filson, LL Bean etc for me

barbender

Right, you wouldn't want to walk into some of the traditional logging town bars around here wearing those for sure! Like the one town with a total logging history, I stopped and got fuel there one day. It was mid-winter and I had a big beard. I went in to pay and one of the gals working in there reached over and picked a piece of sawdust out of my beard😂 That's the kind of place you don't wear neon colored boots, man!😂

230Dforme

BB
For 30 years I've had one of those brown tin cloth
jackets from Filson, great coat, when I take it off, I
just stand it upright in the room 😁, stiff
Also the duck hunter canvas / wool hat, serious hat,
only the best 

240b

Ive had probably dozen pairs of swedpro boots, they last a year at best. the labonvilles about the same but only had 3pairs of those.  The euro hiking boots just don't work for me they are constantly full of sawdust, dirt etc..  
   The viking rubber boots are horribly stiff.(unfortunately i have a pair)   I got a pair of real Nokia boots from Sweden (the good ones they don't import to north america). They are actually flexible an the tread is soft an grippy.  These are wearable if I have to cut softwood.
    Day to day I wear hoffmans leather top rubber bottom boots. For working in hardwood they are perfect. limbing spuce on the ground probably not.
    Ive three pairs, one pair caulked. You can call an talk to a human in Idaho. 
They repair stuff. The quality is excellent.
     For hiking/walking  Limmers from nh. The real ones, made for my feet. 
 Im looking at wescos for next summer now.   The wife likes to comment on my 
boot collection.....   

teakwood

You have more shoes than her :D! 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Skeans1

Quote from: 240b on January 20, 2023, 06:58:09 AM
Ive had probably dozen pairs of swedpro boots, they last a year at best. the labonvilles about the same but only had 3pairs of those.  The euro hiking boots just don't work for me they are constantly full of sawdust, dirt etc..  
  The viking rubber boots are horribly stiff.(unfortunately i have a pair)   I got a pair of real Nokia boots from Sweden (the good ones they don't import to north america). They are actually flexible an the tread is soft an grippy.  These are wearable if I have to cut softwood.
   Day to day I wear hoffmans leather top rubber bottom boots. For working in hardwood they are perfect. limbing spuce on the ground probably not.
boot collection.....  

I have Wesco caulks for falling timber they last a long time as long as they're taken care of. Another good option is Nick's and there's a few others around that area as well that custom build boots.

240b

Quote from: teakwood on January 20, 2023, 07:04:24 AM
You have more shoes than her :D!
Oh, I wish that was the case! 
Quote from: Skeans1 on January 20, 2023, 08:21:20 AM
Quote from: 240b on January 20, 2023, 06:58:09 AM
boot collection.....  

I have Wesco caulks for falling timber they last a long time as long as they're taken care of. Another good option is Nick's and there's a few others around that area as well that custom build boots.

Custom built boots are the best!  

Nealm66

Not sure if Viking boots were mentioned but I've wore them a lot and the hold up about the best for steady timber falling on steep arss ground. They're heavy and we call them clown boots.

steadfast

I've been wearing a pair of Haix protector primes that I really like so far. Feet have been dry. I need to treat the suede to waterproof them again.

Thank You Sponsors!