iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it too late to mill this?

Started by Chainsaw newbie, July 18, 2021, 11:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chainsaw newbie

About a year ago I cut down a wild Cherry in my backyard with the intention of milling it. I cut it into 6, 8 foot logs, and sealed all of the endgrain with several coats of titebond. Since that day (10 months ago), it has been sitting outside covered with a tarp. I elevated it off the ground with several pieces of firewood so it's unlikely it's touching the ground anywhere. Did I screw up by leaving it so long without milling it? When I have it milled is it likely to have any rot or damage, or am I over reacting? For reference, I am likely to use this for small projects, cutting boards, coasters etc. Any responses are welcomed, I'm looking for some advice as I have never milled before. On that note, if anyone has a suggestion of someone in New Hampshire or even Massachusetts that could mill this for cheap, I would appreciate the suggestions. I could easily fit this in a Pickup truck and drive it to them in a few trips.

scsmith42

You may be ok. I'd be more worried about the tarp trapping moisture than the time. 

Throw it up on the mill and see what you get.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Southside

Agreed - my guess is you lost some sapwood, but it's Cherry and you  really don't want the sapwood anyway.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Iwawoodwork

Without pictures of the wood there is no way to give a good response. You have the wood so put a saw to it and you will find out quick enough.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

KenMac

I would cut the ends off and look at what's there. That should tell you the condition of the logs.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

beav

Prolly nothing wrong with the logs. Cherry heartwood is decay resistant and is often still good after the sapwood has rotted off(as long as it's not pin cherry).
Where in NH are you? I might be able to mill it here for you.

Chainsaw newbie

I can upload pictures the next time I head up there. The logs currently in the Tamworth area of NH, but I'm happy to drive them to wherever! How much would you charge?

firefighter ontheside

I've milled cherry that I've had laying around longer than that and I didn't have it covered.  Sapwood was bad.  The rest was good.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

beav

Without seeing the logs I can only tell you I will charge 70 bux an hour plus 30 bux each blade milled here on my lt40 hd.
As a wag it prolly will take 2 hrs.
Plus maybe a board or two!

Chainsaw newbie

Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it!! Beav, where are you, and when could you mill this?(sooner the better for me)

Southside

A friendly reminder to please read the rules about commerce and the FF.  Nothing at all wrong with this, but there is an honor system of 5% due to the FF for business which comes about as a result of otherwise impossible connections being made.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

I bet it is still good. Getting it up off the ground is a waste of time for sawlogs. Contact with the ground during the first year anyhow [ this should not happen] keeps the green wood cooler and wetter. People don't understand that sawn lumber wants to be dried and logs want to be wet and cold. This is why many sawmills water their logs in warm weather.

Thank You Sponsors!