DH Kiln Information

Started by Ga_Boy, March 05, 2004, 03:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I am in the initial phase of my DH kiln operation, I am drafting my business plan and researching equipment.  Thus far Nyle is the front runner as this unit will dry a load of hardwood in 30-35 days vs the 60 plus days for the Ebac.  I have heard of a unit called Dehum, research indicates this is a European unit.

Does anybody have any information on the Dehum product line?

Am I correct on the above statements for the Nyle and Ebac units?
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Ga. Boy.  

Wooee-e-e-e-e!  You need to fill out your Bio.  That's pretty confusing flying the Georgia flag from MD. :D  Do those boys know you are up there?   Got Grits? :D :D

Ga_Boy

Yes sir and yes sir, want some???  8)

Tom

Got some. ;D    I'll keep you in mind if I ever get lost enough to end up on the other side of North Carolina though. :D :)

DanG

Hi, Ga_Boy. I'm a Georgia boy, myself, born & raised in Thomasville. :)

I think you need to do a little more research. You probably won't find a great deal of disparity between the small kiln manufacturer's products. But, mainly, you can't just pick a kiln and say it will dry "a load" in x number of days. There are just too many factors involved.  Talk with each of them and learn what features each has that might be an advantage to you. Each of them has models that are comparable in capacity, so you need to make your choice based on other features, as well as price.  Frankly, the 30-35 day time frame sounds a bit slow, and the 60 day one sounds like a solar kiln in the Michigan winter. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don_Lewis

I don't think these forums are appropriate places to plug ones product over another but rather should be a place where people get answers from peers. You can always get answers from the manufacturers.  But, when picking a dehumidifier, you should base it on several things. First is water removal rate. For example, 3000 Board feet of green Red Oak will have about 6000 pounds of water that must be removed during the drying cycle. One system might average 250 pounds (pints) of water a day and another might average 100. Simple arithmetic will answer the time question. Another thing that should be done is to talk to people that have been running the various systems for a long time. Not a few months but a few years. Nyle is the only USA manufacturer of this type of equipment but there are imports that come and go from the market. Talk to people who have the various brands and see what their experiences have been.

shopteacher

I agree with Don that plugging one product or bad mouthing one over another is not really appropriate. However, I think good information on a product is quite appropriate and if done in a tasteful manner not only brings to light information for a potential buyer, the other members and possibly the manufacture( who might want to make a change in the product due to good feedback).  I think we all want to avoid buying the elusive "lemon" or the known "Edsel" . We do have a members only section.  People are searching out information on what to expend (sometime) large amounts of cash. A recent post was asking for info on skid steers and I haven't read anything neg. about anyone manufacture, but what most liked about a certain brand.  However, if  XYZ Skid steer has a known problem with hyd. pumps I think it's right to share that info with a member so they can make an informed decision on whether to purchase it or not. .  Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Norm

That's a good point, I run the Nyle L200 and like it fine. The ebac's I've not run so would not be able to give first hand information on em.

I like to call the manufactures' and talk with them. I get a fast feel for how they will be to deal with if I buy a product from them. Service after the sale is also very important in a purchase of this amount. My personal experience with Nyle in these areas has been good.

shopteacher

Norm,
    Do you charge the your kiln with green off the mill or air dry first?  Any idea what it cost you to kiln a load of say red oak?
How many bd/ft per charge?
     Looked at your web site, very nice.  

Norm

Glenn I am a complete rookie so keep that in mind.

I only use my kiln to finish off air dried wood. I won't put anything in until it's below 20%. I have not kept track of the electricity cost but would compare it to running a 5 ton AC unit. The one thing I would do different is the design of the kiln chamber. Mine will only hold 2-3 thousand bd ft. and that's if I stack it very carefully. I use a pallet dolly and load only 4'-5' high. It takes me about 1-2 weeks to finish off a load of 20% white oak that's 4/4. The toughest wood to dry. Something like walnut or cherry is less. Nyle sells plans for a reasonable amount and have some good ideas. I wish I'd followed their design more.

Thanks for the kind words on our web site. It's an extension of the day job one that my son built for us. I really should add pictures and such but have been too lazy to do so.

shopteacher

Thanks Norm.  I'm still looking for a chamber for the vac kiln and would like very much to get one operational, but need to get something up and running this summer.  If I can't start the vac then I'll either put together a solar or dehumidifer unit.  

Ga_Boy

Gentlemen,

It appears we have a quandary.  The data I cited comes from users with years of experience.  Good, bad or indifferent; the numbers are what they are.  As to one unit taking twice as long as another to dry a charge; for me, time is money.  I ain't doing this for my health.  I have spent considerable amount of time with both manufactures, both seem eager to please a prospective client.  

With that said, manufactures for most any product over hype the capabilities of their product.  This is why I have spent a good three weeks of my time seeking out experienced users and asking their opinions.  Some people are Ford people and some are Chevy and most will defend their choice to the end; the facts are what they are.  For this particular decision I am manufacture ambivalent.  I just want a unit that will function as it is designed and allow me to make some money.

Let's consider the intent of my question.   I am looking for people with experience with the Dehum model.  Are there any out there?

Norm

Seems the answer to your question is nobody is running an european unit. I have never heard of one let alone seen one in the US. Of the 20-30 dh kilns I have been to 95% of em run Nyle's.

I may not have years of experience but I've had one for 3 years and have been around long enough to know when someone gives you good advice to take it and say thank you.

Don_Lewis

Back when Nyle started in the late 1970's there were several brands of European dehumidifiers sold over here. Most were poorly designed and had many problems. Some were large systems that people had paid tens of thousnads of dollars for and they could not keep them running. Nyle got its first exposure in the industry outside of the Northeast, by proving that it could make them work. There are at least a dozen dehumidification kiln manufacturers in Europe, some in China and some in Japan. Maybe more. Very few are sold here and though every once in a while one is sold.  I don't know of anyone who uses the name "Dehum".

dewwood

Don,

I appreciate your input on this forum.  As you stated, you do not try to push your product.  Your posts are informative and well received.

Thank you,

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Ga_Boy

Norm,

I couldn't agree more with your statement about saying thank you.

Dan G.

I grew up in Sunny Side, Ga. It's a little less than half way between Griffin and Atlanta on 19/41 hwy.  Where I am in Maryland is almost exact copy of Sunny Side, kind of strange to find so many similarities up here.

To all;

Thus far I have run across one person; up in Michigan; operating the Dehum model.  He seems like to like it well enough.  I was hoping for an as second or third to user to chime in with their two cents worth.  However, as pointed out there does not seem to be that many.

For my application the Nyle unit is in the lead.  In my conversation with Nyle, the salesman stated that plans for the chamber to include diagrams for a cart and track system is included the sales price of the L-200.  The casters for the carts are $35 USD each and eight casters are required per cart.  I have run across one operation that rigged a cable and pulley system to load the chamber.  I thought that was a neat idea; I am considering this for my application.  

Are there any thoughts on using a secondary heat source (propane or wood/oil fired boiler) to bring the chamber up to temperature?
I have run across some outfits that use a secondary heat source; although most are in the upper mid-west.

One more thing, I very much appreciate the information that is offered so freely here, please keep it coming and thank you to all.

Mark

Don_Lewis

A secondary heat source will warm the kiln faster and for less money than the electirc heat system. But, the investment may be too high. It doesn't make much sense to spend $3000 to save $30 a month.  But if you have a boiler for another reason (such as heating the shop or house or several kilns) it can make sense. It is a matter of time and money and a fairly easy one to analyze.

Norm

Mark if the outside temp. is low I put my Nipco in the doorway and run it just enough to heat the chamber up. During the summer it doesn't take very long to heat the chamber with the unit itself.

My mom would smack me in the back of my head if I didn't say your welcome and of course welcome to FF. When you get a chance tell us about where you live and what your plans for milling are. But watch out for that sawdust, it a strongly addictive substance.

Ga_Boy

OK Gents,

I broke down today and spent my lunch half-hour and filled out my profile.

If I seem a half bubble off center, it's cause I spent too much time at depth way back when.... :)

Larry

Been sorta biting my tongue on this thread but a kiln is a large investment and you should have all the facts before you purchase.  Owl Creek sawmill in Union Star Mo. has two old Ebac LD-3000's and a brand new Nyle L-200 with a Woodmizer sticker on it, Frieden Hardwoods in Pomona, Kansas has 2 newer Ebac LD-3000's and a brand new Nyle L-200 with a Timberking sticker on it, and same story with Kansas Hardwoods out near Topeka Kansas.  I am running an Ebac LD-800 and want to buy a Nyle.  Nuff said.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.