iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to develop a 40 acre plot (ie layout plans)

Started by 2StateTrigger, December 20, 2015, 02:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2StateTrigger

Good afternoon All,

I'm in the beginning stages of bidding on a 40 acre lot out in CO.  The lot measures approx 1200' x 1300' and has never been cleared, so it's pretty darn overgrown (sorry but I do not have pics right now to post) but here's a link to the area GIS....The property in question is the nearly square lot that is about 400' SE of the road that is named Grizzy Lane.

http://lpcgis.laplata.co.us/LaPlataSL/default.aspx?AppName=Search+and+Select&MapExtent=2368829,1287655,2373361,1290056

If you look at the above link you'll see a small barn/house on the property just North of the one I'm looking at.  The access of the property I'm looking at has a 60' wide easement that runs N-S just E of the barn/house on the property to the N, so this will be the entry point into the property I might be putting an offer on.

I'm going to want to clear a driveway in the very beginning (as stated above).  I'm going to need to clear an area so as to put down a 12" thick (maybe thicker) concrete pad so I can put a mobile mill on and have it housed in some sort of pole barn or similiar.

This is a long-term project that will hopefully transform into my retirement home with horses, cattle, a small garden lot large enough to feed the family, and part-time mill.

So the big question here is:  With as large as a project this is going to be how do I start developing this 40 acres (at least an initial plan as seen from over head)?  Any user-friendly freeware/shareware/software out there that's somewhat aimed at something like that?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be highly appreciated (even if it turns out that I dont purchase with lot for whatever reasons).  My sincere THANK YOU to all those who reply in advance.

Jeff B

PS Oh, last thing here....I want to say to all Have A Merry CHRISTmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year..... :new_year: :snowball:

Molon Labe

landscraper

I assume you mean you want to generate a "layout sketch" showing the various uses that you propose - drawn in on the plat?

Print out the GIS terrain and aerial photo, have it blown up, make multiple copies, and start drawing in ideas with a red pencil?

Or see if the GIS site will export DXF or DWG files that you can import into any CAD program - there are numerous low-cost or freeware drafting programs available.  Learning curve can be steep if you are not already savvy.

Good luck.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

SwampDonkey

Have you walked the ground yet or have a topographical map to see streams and hills? From what I can tell the lot climbs over 400 feet from the SW corner to the NE corner. The building you mentioned near the north line is on a small flat plateau. The only relatively flat area on your lot is in the NW or NE corners. There is a deep gully from the east line near the upper middle that runs down to the middle of the south line.

I'd bring some mountain goats along. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chester_tree _farmah

U could have paid good money for SDs advice. Only on the FF.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

2StateTrigger

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 20, 2015, 07:27:01 PM
Have you walked the ground yet or have a topographical map to see streams and hills? From what I can tell the lot climbs over 400 feet from the SW corner to the NE corner. The building you mentioned near the north line is on a small flat plateau. The only relatively flat area on your lot is in the NW or NE corners. There is a deep gully from the east line near the upper middle that runs down to the middle of the south line.

I'd bring some mountain goats along. ;D

SD, thank you for reading the info given by the link.  I appreciate folks like you who are more knowledgeable than folk like me. 

I have yet to walk the property.  I was trying to get to the property before it started to get snowed in but didnt make it so I'll have to get to it in the spring during the run-off.  It will be accessible year-round once someone puts the driveway in.  From what I can tell the driveway from the property to the N is going to be somewhere like 600'+ just to the NW property line.  Then depending on where a house pad is located the driveway will be that much further.

One more question for you SD, might this lot be ok for a couple homes and a few other farm buildings or should I pass on this one?

Thank you again for your opinion.

Merry Christmas to All....

Jeff B
Molon Labe

beenthere

I don't quite understand wanting to buy some land for "This is a long-term project that will hopefully transform into my retirement home with horses, cattle, a small garden lot large enough to feed the family, and part-time mill." and then even think about dividing it up into smaller house lots ("might this lot be ok for a couple homes and a few other farm buildings " ).

If it is a beautiful place, keep it that way.. but this is just my opinion. You do as you wish.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: beenthere on December 21, 2015, 02:29:49 PM
I don't quite understand wanting to buy some land for "This is a long-term project that will hopefully transform into my retirement home with horses, cattle, a small garden lot large enough to feed the family, and part-time mill." and then even think about dividing it up into smaller house lots ("might this lot be ok for a couple homes and a few other farm buildings " ).

If it is a beautiful place, keep it that way.. but this is just my opinion. You do as you wish.

Could be he's thinking of a place for his kids or an in-law apartment? Or perhaps might need to cut off a chunk to help pay for its development or for a post-retirement emergency?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

OntarioAl

2StateTrigger
When I talk with people interested in rural property I advise them to consider water as the first priority  looking for both quality and quantity.
If I were to develop a property in the Colorado Mountains the potential destruction caused by wildfire and how to mitigate against it would play heavily in my development plans.
As beenthere says.X2
Al
Al Raman

SwampDonkey

If it were me, I'd have my topography map and walk the ground before I would ever consider buying it. Everything looks a lot flatter on a map or photo. :D Too risky. Couldn't imagine buying land of any kind without exploring it first. Most realtors only look out the windshield if they can even drive to it. It looks to me there was logging there. There's even a logging road into it. It's certainly wooded though. I also wonder if there is some instability on the terrain, a closer aerial view has me wondering. And hopefully there is good well water and not just the overland flowing type. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

2StateTrigger

Quote from: John Mc on December 21, 2015, 03:57:32 PM

Could be he's thinking of a place for his kids or an in-law apartment? Or perhaps might need to cut off a chunk to help pay for its development or for a post-retirement emergency?

BeenThere and JohnMc,

If this place is suitable to me by way of walking the property next spring I plan to develop the property to have at least one main house (mine).  My father is getting up there in age so I'd invite him to the property and if he take's me up on the offer I'd build him a smaller home (it's just him).  He has 16 acres just 2.5 hours from this property.  I'm ALL THE WAY out in Florida.  While we have great winters here in FL the summers just plain suck due to the high temps and the humidity that's ALWAYS up in the 80% or greater range....UGH

I grew up with dad in ABQ (close to 4 hours south) and loved the high desert, low humidity, and Rocky Mountain atmosphere where you could drive 30 minutes in almost ANY direction and find yourself in the middle of nature somewhere.  I've been in FL since 1999 and desperately NEED (not want, but NEED) to get out of this State that's surrounded on 3 sides by huge amounts of water.  Haha.

Anyways, this is the plan...well at least the beginning part of the plan.  If it comes to fruition I'll be sure to post pics.

CANT wait for spring.

Jeff
Molon Labe

Thank You Sponsors!