iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzley G1026 Shaper

Started by Qweaver, March 16, 2006, 01:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I've been looking for a used 220v shaper for months now with no luck.  I've found several 3 phase machines but by the time I change the motor or add a phase converter the price is too high.  So I'm on the verge of ordering a new machine and the Grizzley G1026 3 hp 220 volt machine seems to meet my needs.  I will be making several thousand feet of T&G to make the cealing, flooring, interior paneling and exterior ship-lap for the house. 
I did buy a Dewalt DW618 router that I plan to mount as a table router but trying to make T&G with it would be a losing battle, I think.  Other than two years of high school woodshop 45 years ago, I have no experience with a shaper.  Is there an experienced woodworker out there that can give me some advice?  The G1026 with the required cutters will run about $1300 delivered.  This seems fairly reasonable considering the amount of work that I have to do.  I'll probably sell it when this job is done and recoup some of the cost.
TIA

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

mur

Hi Qweaver:
The shaper will do all the things that you want to do.  My one bit of advice would be to plan for a power feed to go with the shaper.  Much safer and you keep better control of the wood. 
Don't dream it, be it.

Larry

I have the Delta HD 3-HP shaper...same as the machine your looking at.  Ran flooring, t&g, enough casing for 3 houses, deck railings for maybe 10 decks, cabinet doors, walk doors, and it is still like a new machine.

A power feeder is really a great accessory...I don't have one but do have access to one I can borrow when needed.  Essential for flooring and some jobs to keep your fingers attached.  Other jobs like t&g and railings it is not needed, provided the cutter can safely be shielded.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Qweaver

Well, I ordered the G1026 and a set of T&G cutters.  I could not find a power feed tho'...guess I'll have to give Grizzly a call.  About what does one cost?
Thanks for the info.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

isawlogs

I saw one the other day at Busy Bee tools for 500$ CDN  or some where around that .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chet

Grizz has a bunch of power feeders. As for their cutters I haven't been real impressed
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Faron

I would really recommend the feeder.  Besides being safer, that will let you run the tongue cutting operation against an outboard fence, making your T&G a lot more accurate.  Whatever you do, though, don't try that without a feeder!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

chet

Personally I don't have a power feeder. I'M too cheep.  :D  With proper choice and use of feather boards I can safely do the operations your referring to.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Qweaver

Chet, what cutters do you recommend?
Also, is the G4176 1/4 HP Power Feeder OK for this job?  Those suckers are really costly!

chet

I have never seen or used any of thier power feeders, so I really can't say. As for cutters, I have a bunch of differant brands., including some Grizzleys. I usually will by a cheaper brand cutter if I won't use it too much. But those that will get heavy use I get the better ones. Normally Eagle America, Jesada, Whiteside or Amana.

Brad_S.

I have a Grizzly power feeder. It's essential for the volume you are talking about. 1/4hp has the power you need, downside is changing speeds requires physically changing gears. Bit of a pain, but otherwise fine unit.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Qweaver

I guess I'll order the G4176 today unless someone else has a better suggestion.  Thanks for the info everyone.  I hate buying anything without some idea of how good it is.
Quinton

jgoodhart

Have fun with your new shaper, I have the same machine just 5 years older and it works great. The Grizzly T&G cutters I don't care for because the T&G is tapered and it's hard to get a good tight fit. I would look for cutters that have a square T&G.

I have been checking around for a used power feeder and most sell for just short of a new unit so I have been looking a the 1/4 hp grizzly also for use on my shaper and table saw, pricey little buggers ain't they.

Don_Papenburg

Get a power feeder that will take the wood through at a slow pace . This is real important if you have figgured wood  or wild grain changes. 
If it has been 45 years since wood shop  you will need the power feed to save on aches and pains of pushing and holding wood for hours .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

scsmith42

I have a Grizzly 3HP shaper - no complaints in 3 years of ownership although if I had it to do over I'd probably spring for their 5HP machine instead of the 3HP one.  I have the Grizzly G4173 "Baby power feeder" mounted to the shaper - it's a variable speed unit that I recall cost me about $250.00 and thus far it's worked ok.  Definitely recommend it.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!