iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Women in Logging

Started by Tombstone, May 25, 2009, 07:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarzanstree

I remember hearing multiple stories about a woman named "Jagger Jenny", when I was Falling Timber for Columbia Helicopters.  I guess she and her husband made quite the pair.  I also remember a saw shop in Sandpoint Idaho that showed a picture of a woman falling a tree.  Guess she owned the saw shop.  My grandmother on my Dad's side used to cut and skid for herself in a little town called Fox Park Wyoming;  She was a tough old gal! smiley_chop

Cody
Cody

"Tough times never last, but tough people do"

Tombstone

nhlogga,

richmond is outsida keene and swanzey area. what year is your machine?
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

nhlogga

tombstone, ol clarky is a '79. You are probably a couple hours away from farmington. any luck with the wife running the 666? if she does when she shuts the machine down hand her the grease gun. after all the operator greases the machine right? ;D
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

pappy19

Quote from: Ron Scott on May 26, 2009, 11:30:10 AM
Also many woman mill workers, foresters and wildland firefighters.

When I was working for the US Forest Service, in 1970, I was in charge of a fire crew working on some wildfires in the Salmon River area. We had been on the fire line for 3 days and they choppered us back to base camp for a shower and some real food. The base camp had a large Army octogon tent with 8 shower heads. I was in the second batch to get my shower with about 4 of my crew members. We were about done with our shower when 5 lady firefighters came in, disrobed and started soaping down. I guess my boys were real dirty cause they soaped up again and again and again, until I finally rinsed off and told my boys it was time to go. That was the first year that I ever saw female firefighters and after that encounter, we had no trouble getting volonteers for fire duty.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Tombstone

hmmmm.....I am in the wrong line of work! :D nhlogga I like that idea, I will toss her the grease gun!
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Phorester

PAPPY,  ".....after that encounter, we had no trouble getting volonteers for fire duty."

I'll bet you also had the cleanest firefighters around too.

logger t

me and wife and son all work together on our small logging job i run our jd 544d feller buncher my son runs our koering 266dl delimber  wife runs our jd 648-d grapple or our  520 timberjack clamp bunk skidder she easer on them then we are she said we couldnt do it without  her
loggert

Ron Scott

~Ron

sziva

Quote from: logger  t on August 14, 2009, 02:41:26 PM
me and wife and son all work together on our small logging job i run our jd 544d feller buncher my son runs our koering 266dl delimber  wife runs our jd 648-d grapple or our  520 timberjack clamp bunk skidder she easer on them then we are she said we couldnt do it without  her

I look for informations to timberjack 520, because we have got 520 but we havent got handbook!

Can you send me pictures your machine?

stoneeaglefarm

My wife can has worked with me in the woods, She can drop trees, limb, and is a good tractor operator besides being pretty she can do firewood as quick as me and is not afraid of getting her hands dirty. Just lucky I am.

logman81

Yup I too have a wife like that best worker I ever had.
Precision Firewood & Logging

c_silva88

my oldest daughter is always asking me to get a chainsaw for her so she can help me cut wood. she helps load my truck. once i get my skidder on my new lot im gonna teach my  girlfriend to run it.
MS660
MS290

Autocar

My wife has set in the saw booth and sawed all day, I cut she skidded timber and has helped change 24.5x32 twenty ply tires. Just this past week she came to the job with the tool truck and I had blown a hyd. line on the Prentice, a good girl for sure. And I cut for a fellow years ago and his wife skidded for us. At the end of the day he would ask her how many feet was on the landing and she would tell him and after it was scaled it was never off more then a few hundred feet.
Bill

James Arsenault

My mother worked in the woods with my father off and on for years. She always yarded, never chopped/felled. I don't ever remember her using a chain saw. When Dad sold firewood commercially, Mom did run the wood splitter.

I remember her having biceps like a man.

Ed_K

Rita has her own saw,helps me with cutting grapevines.last job was 15 ac.She hepled replace center pins& bushings on the taylor.(Never again in the woods) ;D .Yrs ago she ran a JD scraper and did dozer work,(liked the JD 850 best hated my TD6).
Ed K

Woodhauler

My mother peeled 4ft popple with a bark spud so they could haul it to rumford,maine in the early 60s! This with 2 little boys on the yard with her! Dad cut and yarded it!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

treefarmer87

i know of 3 or 4 women who do hauling around here.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

lumberjack48

The wife peeled pulp, we peeled it tree length in the woods. Professorial skidder operate'er 16 yrs, fell timber, bucked up on landing, limb an top, changed oil / grease skidder, cut cable off, retie, fix skidder tires, pulled the Funk power shift 2 times and put back in, free hand saw filer. She gets mad when i brag about her, i can't help it, she was very good at what she did. She still talks about her logging days. [she loved the woods]

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lumberjack48

We found a few pictures we thought were lost of the wife running skidder. She weighed in at 102 lbs when driving the S8 IH, she learned on a C5-B TF, all so run my C5-D and my dads C5-D.

Here she is holding her choppers standing on a Basswood Saw Bolt pile. See those noodle like chokers, thats from her hook-en left hand and me hook-en right hand, that didn't happen again.

Here shes decking Aspen tree length

Here shes using the brake, throttle and lifting the blade while pushing butts even

Here she giving me heck for not doing something right

Heres a nice drag of Birch saw bolts

The wife , firewood in the pickup, you can see my 50 gal fuel tank and saw rack behind cab,
    these are all pictures before i got hurt.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Mark Wentzell

Sounds like quite the lady. You both must miss the woods.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

lumberjack48

barbender thank you,  that was on the north east side of Little Ball Club lake, not far from your house. I logged 4 Federal blocks over there, one block i cut up to the lake, the east side.

Ron Scott

Great pictures showing how its done. I have a female faller on one of my hardwood sawlog jobs right now and she out cuts her husband, so he's doing the forwarding. :D
~Ron

barbender

I want to get back and look at that area, Duane. Right north of the area you cut there is an area of beautiful pine, I fear it blew down in our July storm :( 
You probably can't even get back to it on the forestry trails yet.
Too many irons in the fire

tlandrum

my wife has run the skidder when she had to,sorted with the 210,but her main job is driving the log truck. its funny when the men at the pulp yard or mill make excuses for why the load she is hauling is so much bigger than what they hauled in.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Thank You Sponsors!