iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

insect identification

Started by Dan_Shade, November 10, 2005, 11:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I should get some books on bugs or something  ::)

are these what I think they are?

should I burn the wood? or just the pieces with the "grooves"?  should I spray it all down with a borox solution? bleach?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

I can't see it very good, but I think what you have is earwigs.   Don't worry about them.  They are omnivorous beings and mostly eat other insects, both dead (as scavengers) and alive (as predators).  They also eat dead plant matter and probably some live stuff but are no threat to trees or lumber.

You will probably see several different but like looking individuals as they pass through nymphal stages.

They are harmless to  humans and have no interest any much of anything larger than they are.

The grooves are results of borers that have gotten into the tree.  They have gone and the wood is under no threat.  As a matter of fact, those "grooves" can add dollars to a finished piece of cabinetry in the right market.   Don't burn it.   Find a way to market it.

Here is a picture of one of many Flat-head borers and probably what caused the damage in your log.
http://www.upcrc.com/guides/wdamage/fhead.htm

It's the Grub that did  the damage.  He was laid as an egg on the bark and tunneled underneath to eat the cambium untill large and strong enough to attack the wood.  Then he tunnelled into the log and made himself a home where he slept for a while and eventually turned into an adult.  Having done that, he/she found their way to the surface where they flew away to do it again.

You can read about metalic borers, round-head borers, flat-head borers, Southern Sawyers and a multitude of like insects that all cause this type of damage in different species of trees and live in different parts of the country.

While they are pests, it's the adult form that we try to control.  To control the egg or larval stages requires steps like submerging logs while they are waiting to be sawed.

Dan_Shade

thanks tom, I think you're right.  I have learned much about nature since I got into this wood adventure, it's quite enjoyable.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

As Tom says they're just european earwigs. We never had any of those creatures up until about 15 years ago. I don't know , but I think our inspection people are pretty slack or it's a sign they are working on shoe-string budgets with skeleton crews.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DR Buck

While sawing last week I thought I found the same kind of bug.    But after a closer  look I can see my bug is shorter and only has one set of legs!    ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D :)

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!