iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood Industries lumbermate2000

Started by surfsupinhawaii, October 27, 2006, 10:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfsupinhawaii

Hi, I am new here and really like this site.
     I am a G.C. in Nevada city and I have just cleared the property for my aunt. I am going to be building a log cabin home for her. I cut down quite a few pines and cedars. I cut them into 8, 12, and 16 foot lengths. They were pretty hard to move, but I was able to get them where I wanted them. I was cutting them to this length in hope that I would get a mill . I guess I bugged my wife enough to get her interested enough to go to the bank and get a loan for a Norwood industries lumbermate2000. I am going to order it in a  day or so. I just wanted your feed back on what I am going to get. It will have 10 leveling feet, 4ft extension, trailer package and a 15hp kohler engine. I am new to this, but super excited. Has anyone any suggestions or remarks on this mill. Should I cut the logs now, I just cut them about a week ago, and what is the best process for drying the wood it will snow here in about a month . Thanks a ton, I have  a lot more questions, but I will keep it at this for now.

Jeff

Welcome to the forum surfsupinhawaii! You should be very happy with your Norwood as many of our members own them including one of our Forum admins, best of all they are a Forestry Forum sponsor!  Be sure to keep checking in and especially once the mill arrives because there is a lot of experience here with assembly and set up.

You will learn that the sooner you can saw your logs the easier they will saw. Have fun with your new mill (and be sure to be safe!)  and again, welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ohsoloco

Congrats on the new mill  :)  I'm sure you'll love milling with it (I've had one for about 5 years).  My only piece of advice right now would be to practice on some junk logs, because there's always a lot to learn when you first start milling. 

solodan

I'm guessing you're in Nevada City Ca.? Welcome to the forum, it's nice to have another one from out west here. :) I think I will probabably add a Norwood to my operation here as well one day, as it would complement my Lucas. That is great that you're getting the trailer package? I would think this is a huge benefit for a contractor, just pull it to a new job and mill everthing on site. I usually cut all of my logs to 16'6" if I can. Sticker and air dry works fine out this way. If first thing you do is cut your trees, your lumber will probably be dry and ready to use when you get to your finish part of your jobs. My suggestion to you would be to go into this with a different mentality than you use as a contractor. I have seen alot of builders get frustrated with the whole process. Cause everybody here knows it's harder work then they thought it would be. At the same time, it is very rewarding to build using materials from the property you are developing. That right there really separates you fro the rest of the pack. ;)

Terry

Having purchased my first mill, (Norwood 2000). I've been sawing with it for 3 weeks. If you can afford the larger engine, 23hp Vanguard, get it. The Mill I got came in complete break down form. It will go together perfect. Just follow the instructions, step by step. They are easy to understand and follow. They dont leave anything out. As was told to me, this is a great method. Putting your saw together will be of great benefit later on. :P
   Log Rite makes a good Kant Hook, you will need one. Try to keep the logs free of dirt. Get extra blades. Mine came with the Norwood blades. They are good, but after using Simonds Red Streak blades, I would suggest getting them. Find you a supplier who also sharpens and sets blades. Cedar will dull a blade pretty quick. Keep a good flow of water and dishwashing liquid solution flowing on the blade while sawing.These are some of the things i've found to be useful to me starting out.
  The guys here are very helpful and can answer any questions you have. I'm still learning. Warning, once you saw your first log, you might be hooked forever.( LOL)   I can't wait for the next time I get to saw. Love it!!!!!!
Life is short---Live It !!!

Postman

I agree with what Terry said, I also have the 23hp B&S, am very happy with it. . . . Postman

dail_h

SUH,
   I also own a Norwood mill,and edger. I run mime just about every day in my custom sawing buisness. Get all the horses you can afford. I have the 23 Briggs,and sometimes that's not enuff.
   Norwood is one of the best companys to deal with I've ever experienced. If you can afford it ,get a sharpener, and setter. Also,be sure you get enough extensions . 16 ft is usually enough,I can cut 20,but ocasionaly get asked to cut longer

GOOD LUCK
                               Dail
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Shawn

Welcome SUH,

I built my mill. I did a lot of research on mill design, cost and options. I almost bought a LM2000. I thought it was perfect for me. My wife didn't agree, so I built one for less. I will one day purchase it.

Congrats to you!
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

thecfarm

I bought my Thomas Bandsaw with a 20 foot track,just in case I ever needed to cut a 20 footer,never have yet.But the thing is I can put a 16 foot log on without being fussy on where it is.Most mills you only have  6 inches on each end of the track to saw a log.I have more than 2 feet on each end.Get the 20 foot track and it will make life alot easier.With a manual mill it's a bother to move a log from side to side.Let us know when you are sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aniakhenry

The Norwood is a good choice.
I just bought a 2000 this summer  8), I really recommend the 23 hp.  The power is needed at times.  If you are tight on a budget like I was, look at saving on other options that you may be able to build yourself, but get that 23hp!  You can build a bed extension for a lot less than what Norwood wants for theirs.  Two peices of angle iron and a couple sqared up cants will work just fine.  Have you checked out the Norwood forum?  There are a lot of posts on that site about homemade options that will save you some $  There are photos and design discussions on the trailer package also.  I installed a tiny tach on my mill and am happy with it.  It will keep track of hours of use and rpm speed which will prolong the life of the clutch if monitored correctly.  It also helps you keep track of oil changes.  There are a lot  more people out there that know more than I, but do a few searches and do your homework before you place that order.

Good Luck and happy milling. 

treenail

Good luck with purchasing a new Norwood sawmill. I've had mine for about five and a half years now, and it has sawed anthing that I've been able to roll onto it. For the money, it is a really reliable mill. You'll be happy that you're getting the trailer package with that, as it truely makes it  easily portable. I have a bed extension on mine and it has made it much easier to position logs with that extra room for the carriage to set on, keeping it out of the way.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

Terry

Life is short---Live It !!!

TexasTimbers

Hey surfer if you did not get your mill yet here's my 2 cents.
If you are taking out a loan anyway, try to buy a mill that has hydraulics if at all possible. They will pay for themselves many times over and you will regeret not having done so IMHO.
If you cannot do this, take everyone's advice here who said to get the 23HP Vanguard. That thing is awesome! Norwood is great company to do business with.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!