iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moisture meter

Started by sawwood, October 02, 2020, 05:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

I have seen some wood drying video's and not one tested the wood the same with there meter. Some show testing on the face of the lumber
and some on the side. What is the right way to use the meter ? If on the face do you test near the end or middle of the board. I know that
Gene said the real way to see how dry the lumber is with samples in the microwave till the weight does not change. I also if you use samples
what part of the board do you use for them ?

Sawwood 
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

K-Guy

With pinless meters you test on top of the board and pin type can be used either way. 

For how to do sample boards Nyle has a video on our youtube channel.  There is a link in our blog below.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

K-Guy is right about pin meters especially if you have insulated needles.

The pin meter under 30% MC can be used to run a kiln rather than weighing samples, but there can be some errors.  I. The kiln, use probes intended for that purpose.  The cost of a reliable meter with auxiliary equipment is around $600.  Get one made in USA so that it is calibrated for USA species and can be repaired.

There is a comparison of three meters that I did and is in the Appendix of DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER.

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!