iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which moisture meter ?

Started by Seaman, August 08, 2014, 10:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

Hope for some help making a good selection. I need a meter to read moisture in my slabs, generally 3 in thick. My current model is a General MMD7NP. It is a cheap $40 or so that I picked up at a show. It is a "window" type, and I really think a pin model would be best for what I do.
The budget is $200 or so, what think you?

Thanks in advance.
Frank

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

scsmith42

Frank, for a 3" thick slab your two options are a slide hammer type attachment for a pin meter with 1-1/4" long insulated pins, or a deep reading RF type meter.

I have a Merlin HM8-WS25 series that will measure to 40mm of depth (almost 2" deep) and I like it a lot.  It is made for kiln operators to allow them to measure to the core of thick lumber w/o using pins.  The HM8-WS13 will measure around 1" deep into lumber.

I also have a Delmhorst 2000 series with the slide hammer and insulated pins.  Both work great, but the Merlin is faster and does not leave the pin holes in the lumber.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There are two types of moisture meters---pin and pinless.  Within each category, there are several manufacturers.  Due to the risk of having the meter get damaged in a sawmill or dry kiln setting, it is best to have a meter that can be quickly serviced in the USA.

I compared the two types of meters some years ago and the summary is in the appendix in DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER (widely available on the Internet).  Both work well in some situations, but each has its advantages or disadvantages, so check out the features in the article to help you decide the best one.

If you need accurate readings, then spend no less than $200.  As the price goes over $200, you get more "bells and whistles" including memories, Bluetooth, etc.

If the MC values will be checked by a customer, make sure that you either use the same meter that the customer has or specify in the paperwork how moisture will be checked (and obviously, specify your specific meter).

Regarding brands of meters, the big three now area Delmhorst (in NJ) and Wagner and Lignomat (in the West Coast).  All have widespread availability.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Seaman

Thanks fellas, anyone else want to weigh in?
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

YellowHammer

Quote from: scsmith42 on August 08, 2014, 11:31:42 AM
I also have a Delmhorst 2000 series with the slide hammer and insulated pins.
smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup. I've got one of these, excellent unit.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I also have the Delmhorst J2000X made for use in kilns.  Also have the slide hammer with insulated pins that can penetrate 1" into the wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

darinputman

I use the wagner pinless moisture meter but that only measures 3/4 inch in. even if you checked both sides leave you wondering about that last 1 1/2 inches inside.
Osage orange  aka hedgeapple, bodark, bois d'arc is my wood of choice.

Thank You Sponsors!