iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worth the effort

Started by caveman, June 08, 2019, 09:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I had a guy call and he wants to saw up a large laurel oak that he had growing in his yard.  It is 52" at the base and has had significant limbs cut off at 4' and a little higher on the other side.

I do not want to do a job that will be expensive for him but will not get him a reasonable amount of good, useable wood.  Is this something we should recommend that he saw or is it firewood?

We do not have a slabber and will have to break it down with a chainsaw.
Caveman

caveman

This is the log mentioned in the previous post.  Thanks to Ian and Btollah for helping me get the pics posted.
Caveman

Southside

I have done what you are describing and between tramp metal and defects there was not a lot of value in the recovered lumber. Some wide stuff, but not a lot of length. It can yield random length flooring if that is of value to the customer.

Nice hinge and back cut there   :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

scsmith42

That log would make some awesome live edge slabs.  Lots of crotch figure in them.  I'd mill at 3-1/2" green expecting to finish out at 1.75 - 2" (s2s).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

caveman

The owner or someone else dropped the tree.  Southside, I was thinking along the same lines as you.  Those were all reasons that I gave the homeowner.  

SCSmith42, I have seen a lot pictures of the products you produce that you have posted and have pictured on your website and your advise carries a lot of weight with me too.  We may have to develop a game plan on how to break this one down.  It is too wide for us to slab at one whack but we could split it using a chainsaw and then saw it leaving one live edge.  This could be a benefit to whoever gets the job of building a table top with the slabs.

Caveman

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

scsmith42

Quote from: caveman on June 09, 2019, 06:49:24 AM
The owner or someone else dropped the tree.  Southside, I was thinking along the same lines as you.  Those were all reasons that I gave the homeowner.  

SCSmith42, I have seen a lot pictures of the products you produce that you have posted and have pictured on your website and your advise carries a lot of weight with me too.  We may have to develop a game plan on how to break this one down.  It is too wide for us to slab at one whack but we could split it using a chainsaw and then saw it leaving one live edge.  This could be a benefit to whoever gets the job of building a table top with the slabs.
Thanks for the kind words.

Here is a table that was build by a customer of mine from a 72" wide x 14' long black oak log that we milled.  This is the sister slab to the one in my avatar.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

barbender

That table is sweet, and so is the flooring👍
Too many irons in the fire

Brad_bb

I'd say find someone that can slab the whole thing.  Maybe help him trim it up in preparation for slabbing.  Gotta find a way to move it, but if it's not rotten or filled with carpenter ant nest, It's probably worth it to slab it.  Ideally a large band mill.  I'd rather hit metal with that than the chain of a large CSM.  Or find someone with a large csm or pertersen or lucas big slabber and do it on site.  If you get some clean slabs it's worth it, provided the owner wants that.  If he's just asking for lumber, you could always split the log with your chainsaw to be able to load pieces on the mill or onto a trailer, but I'd have a real talk with him and discuss the possible value as slabs.  He could air dry them on site if he has the room.  Maybe he could trade part of the slabs to someone in exchange for kiln drying, flattening, and building a table?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

caveman

Brad, 
The things you mentioned are right in line with what I suggested to him. 

I really do appreciate all of you taking the time to share your knowledge, experience and advise.  

Scott, that table is impressive.  Was it from the same tree the slab is from that is by your FF picture?
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!