iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw modifacations

Started by sawcrazy, January 20, 2002, 11:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawcrazy

i have a 066 that i ues to mill lumber . I'm wondering what I can do myself to get more power from it. I don't care much about loss of chaisaw life, just more power without geting new bigger saw yet.I have been milling mostly big maple and would like to go abit faster. Thanks for any input

Kevin

Welcome to the buyers club, what bar and chain combination are you using?

sawcrazy

I run a 36" bar and ripping chain to break down the big stuff then I switch to my 20" setup.It works pretty good, I just would like to go a little faster.  

Kevin

sawcrazy

stihl chain cut to granberg specs.

Kevin

Who modified the chain and how?
Does it now have both scoring and clearing cutters?

sawcrazy

My wing-nut dealer sold me some chain and cut it too Granberg specs and said this is the best chain for ripping.  I haven't tried anything else, but am open to suggestion.

Thanks

sawcrazy

Why do most Stihl dealers try to sell you only this brand?  I know their are usually better aftermarket products available.
I'm not ranking on stihl there my bran of choice and always will be.

Kevin

RSF is good full skip ripping chain other than the fact the top plate is ground to 30o.
If your dealer reground it chances are extremely good that he has taken the hardness out of the cutters.
This chain cuts well as is but the finish on the wood is a little on the coarse side.

Kevin

sawcrazy

the chain they made does not  cut any better than my other stihl chain.I sharpen my own chain and do a pretty good job at it .

sawcrazy

sawcrazy

What do you think about the 088? Humm been lookin at that saw abit.Wore out the catalog.

Kevin

It helps to have one end a little higher off the ground with the Alaskan.
Start on the high end and work your way down the log , gravity alone will speed things up.
Crank your oil supply on the saw wide open, I use one tank of gas to one tank of oil.
Only mill a square cant, if you continually mill a log with bark on it your chain will suffer.
I use the Alaskan and take the top off the log, switch to the mini mill and take both sides then back to the Alaskan and I`m milling a nice clean cant.
Check your raker height and let me know what they`re set at.

Kevin

I think the 066 beats the 088 hands down for milling.
It seems anyone that has an 088 needs to modify it for milling.

J Beyer

What pitch chain are you using?  .325 chain works the BEST for the 066 milling setup, even the 088 prefers .325 chain.  Write me and I'll get you in contact with a guy that is extremely knowledgeable on milling chain.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

rthomy

Have you thought of getting a tuned exhaust made up for the saw.  I've had it done with my 046 Magnum, its a bit noisier but definetely more powerful

Timber_Tramp

Hi there, the 066 can be easily modifide by opening up the restricted exaust port in the muffler and cutting out the bottom half of the perferated box inside the muffler, if you have one of the newer 066's. You can also order from Stihl the muffler face plate that has an additional port in it. These simple mods with give you an instant 25-30% gain in power, plus your saw will last longer and run cooler. Running 32:1 will give you extra lube and wont cause carbon if you run the saw at factory rpm. I have been using Maxima 927 lately as a mix.
   For a full rundown on modifided saws, talk to the Guru in Oroville Calif. Ken Dunn: kdhotsaw@hotmail.com
  John Lambert

Gordon

What about an upgraded air filter? How much power to they add to a Stihl?

Gordon

KiwiCharlie

G'day Gordon,

Such as a K&N filter??  Ive heard that they do allow the saw to breath easier, but they also allow crud into the engine.  Not good for a saw!! :D
The muffler mods arent too hard to do and from all accounts, work well.  Hope to do my 038 soon.  Now, where did I leave my muffs! :o :o  DanG!! ;)
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

KiwiCharlie

OK,

Just found the perfect smiley......  !!!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!