iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is the best spacing for log dogs?

Started by Modat22, September 07, 2006, 05:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I did a bit of searching and didn't find an answer for this one. What would be the best spacing and number for log dogs on a 20' mill?

Thanks
Sam
remember man that thy are dust.

Tom

Opinion again :D

I would only use two dogs.  If you use more than two, you have to line up all of them and hope that the log is perfectly straight.   Two will just catch each end of the log.

Most lumber cut is 8' short.   I would put the dogs at about 6' or 6'6" to catch the ends of an 8' log but still give you a decent target to shoot for when loading a large log.

The little 1/2 or 3/4  inch nubbins that are welded on most mill beds, on the dogging side, are all lined up pretty straight because they act as dogs on a squared cant.  Being on all of the bunks they provide dogging for even a 20' long board.

Dan_Shade

i'm kind of with tom.  2 only gives you two to saw into as well.

I'd maybe opt for 3, one at like 6 feet, and one at  like 15 feet from the first one.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

Two dogs...and adjustable spacing if ya can figure out how to do it.  Sure helps with short logs, crotch sections, roots, and big swelled butts.  Yea, I know...I saw weird stuff. :o
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tcsmpsi

I have a sawing capacity of 18'6".  I have four dogs/backstops.  They are independent and rotate 180 degrees, bow to stern.   I can use as many or as few as necessary.  I like the set up because it allows me utilize the best holding pattern for a particular log/cant.  I can reasonably saw a 40" length (using 2 backstops/dogs).

Of course, mine are manual. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Modat22

thanks for the fast responses everyone. I'll see if I can make 2 adjustable location dogs for the mill. I've got a couple hydraulic cylinders from a boat drive unic and the electric pump. I may try to use those if I can find the hose locally and cheap.

Thanks again
remember man that thy are dust.

dad2nine

My WM LT40 (manual) has 4, I usally only use 2 at a time. I wished the 2 inside ones were closer together and spaced in equal distance from the clamp. I recently ran into some sort peices of elm and have been trying to cut them into turning blanks. The short log pieces are a little to short to sit on the rails so I had to make up a jig (piece of 3/4 plywood and a 4x4) to hold them, so I can get them clamped down tight enough to saw. I know I shouldn't be messing with such short pieces, but the turners love the wild grain. I wished I had a whole dumptruck load full, I could make a fortune.

Keep this in mind when your building the dogs for your mill, you may never know what you run across.

Around here squared up firewood sized chucks coated in Ancorseal sells like hot cakes, I'm amazed.

DanG

Nothing wrong with cutting shorts if you can get something out of'em, Dad. :)

My mill has 5 bunks, spaced about 4 feet apart, with a clamp on each.  I made one of them movable so I can adjust for odd lengths.  I can move it within a foot of the first bunk and clamp anything down to about 15 inches or so.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

The mill I am presently building, I spaced the bunks at 33" centered and the log stops are at 66" centered. One screw type clamp just off center of the stops.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!