iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Glad to hear nothing is broken. That hurts in the cold!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SawyerTed

Ooooohhhhh $#*!@/!!  That makes me draw up!  Glad you aren't hurt worse Jim!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

olcowhand

Jim,
I hope that pic was of a "Dramatic Re-enactment", because if you had the presence of mind to pull out your phone and snap a pic while that was going on- your the man!
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

WV Sawmiller

Sounds like a great time to have the remote controls on your mill. Just don't push the button the wrong way and accidentally tighten instead of loosening the clamp. :o

Sorry for the boo boo. Glad it looks like you're gonna live. headscratch
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rjwoelk

I say "ouch" even thinking about it, especially during cold weather.

I'm glad my customer cancelled today's sawin  Also seven snowflakes landed on my coat sleeve when I went to the mailbox.  :o  Brutal.  :-\

Today I have almost completed yesterday's task of doing nothing.  ;D

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

Thankfully our forecast for snow has passed but it is a bone chilling 33° here this morning.  :o  This kind of weather is good for nothing but keeping the fire warm.   fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

"Bone chilling"?  C'mon up here to IL in Jan/Feb with me and you can go out to the yard to fetch logs and see what  Bone chilling really is.  Sub zero and high winds.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

btulloh

I'm with you Lynn.  Cold and rainy here.  Got the stove goin' in the shop.  All those tough-guy, cold weather climate people are welcome to their sub-freezing world.  Most of 'em don't even appreciate grits.  I think the cold winters must take a toll on their mental process.   :D
HM126

Brad_bb

You are right, i've never acquired a taste for grits.  But my Gramma was from Tennessee, and she taught my dad to make biscuits and gravy, and I make it the same way.  And I love biscuits and gravy!! Most people up north here don't know B&G - or only pre-processed, which is not real.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

I don't know if it's the humidity or what but there is something different about the cold in the south.  Where I grew up -40F was annual, -20F was routine, (your eyelashes freeze together when you blink at that temperature) 0F was comfortable and made for the best sledding.  Now down here at 20F and I have no desire to work outside.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

When I lived on Oregon's wet side west of the Cascades, 40° was freakin cold, way to cold to go out and work. Over here on the high desert, 0° isn't too bad and I don't mind working outside, at subzero temps though, I start developing a desire to stay inside. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

"Bone chilling" depends upon whose bones are getting chilled.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Yup, and also where those bones are geographically. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: olcowhand on November 14, 2018, 06:49:06 PM
Jim,
I hope that pic was of a "Dramatic Re-enactment", because if you had the presence of mind to pull out your phone and snap a pic while that was going on- your the man!
Steve
Yes, that glove was empty at the time of the photo. And no flitches were hurt in the process of taking that picture.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Resonator

"Bone Chilling" last winter in Wisconsin. Stayed inside and played the blues until the temp got above zero. Though people do tend to buy more firewood on days like that. $$
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

OffGrid973

Snow here but it's a great day when your bday present shows up a few weeks late :)  ok WM I still love you.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

olcowhand

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on November 15, 2018, 09:48:40 AM
Quote from: olcowhand on November 14, 2018, 06:49:06 PM
Jim,
Steve
Yes, that glove was empty at the time of the photo. And no flitches were hurt in the process of taking that picture.
Jim Rogers
Well, Jim...... Your still the MAN! Thanks for sharing.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

OffGrid973

Maybe someone has an extra glove, lol...or were those all the wrong hand 
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Lawg Dawg

Managed to get one saw/carve job done this week...been raining here, torrential

Not only do I make the cookies...but I carve the cake stands too! 
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Jim_Rogers

Very late yesterday, I finished off my order of planks:

I've got to make him four 4x4x8' timbers and the order is done.
Jim Rogers

Resonator

Love that cake stand idea! That will be a keepsake long after the wedding.   mustache-smiley smiley_gorgeous
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Southside

And the glove makes another appearance!!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Southside logger on November 16, 2018, 11:23:23 AM
And the glove makes another appearance!!  :D
Other hand this time.

terrifictimbersllc

Yesterday finished a 2 day road trip sawing this Norway spruce for one customer, 2445 bf of 2x4 and 1x.  He had the logs nicely arranged.  I used 7 turbos mostly, set at 30-35 thousandths. Also some 4 degree with normal set (0.026).  Both worked OK but I think the overset turbos did a little better.  Always trying to keep the lumber flat, going slow, recutting the wide cuts once they were narrower. Took a good third longer than pine would have.   Used 4 bands and 3 others that ended their worldly existence by hitting barbed wire in the first big butt log.

Before returning home yesterday,  I went to a different customer,  a business I often saw for, to cut  two 24'  8 x 16 foot fir beams into 24'  1-1/8" x 16"  boards.  

Yep, sliding the 24' cants back and forth to get 'r done.   That took 3.5 hours to pull off but the owner was very happy, he is going to manufacture two big box beams out of the lumber after planing it to 7/8". He needed six boards for this and we managed to get 8 good ones so they were all set.  I used two 4 degree blades for that sawing.  

Made it home late yesterday afternoon, an hour before our first big snow storm of the season, 5 inches last night!!!   Everyone seemed to be in an uproar getting ready for it.  Schools got cancelled.  It's mostly gone as I write this today.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Lko67

Nothing today got a foot of blah

Thank You Sponsors!