iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving into the M18 family with some new yard tools

Started by btulloh, September 20, 2020, 10:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

I decided to start changing over all my battery tools to the Milwaukee M18 family, after much research and agonizing.  My old Dewalt 18V NiCad collection has been been good to me, but most are 20 years old and of course NiCad is not where you really want to be these days.  I had bought a few Makita LithIon tools (drill, couple of impact drivers) which are fine, but it really seems like Milwaukee is where I should be living.  Replacing everything and adding to the collection is sort of a daunting and expensive exercise, but it's time to get started.

So I picked up the M18 blower and the M18 line trimmer to start.  Both with 9aH batteries and quick chargers.  I don't expect these to take the place of the big gas stuff I have, but for quick jobs and just trimming grass around the house they're great.  Kind of a luxury to duplicate the gas tools, but also falls into YH's "take steps to save steps" philosophy.  Makes it easier to do some quick trimming and blowing around the house without going out and getting the gas tools, which live 150' away.  Kinda nice to be able to keep these two close at hand.  Save steps.

I'm impressed with both tools.  The blower is real handy, since it's close at hand and it's plenty powerful enough for most jobs except leaf blowing.  Stick with gas for that.  Same with the trimmer.  Just fine for grass and edging.  Use the big stuff for tougher jobs.

I may get the M18 pole saw and hedge trimmer at some point.  My big Husky pole saw is getting too heavy for me even with the harness.  

Then I'll need the 1/2" impact and the circ saw and then move into the drills and smaller impacts.  Gonna cost some bucks, but I'll just space it out over time so it won't hurt quite as bad.  Eventually I'll have all M18 stuff and a good variety of battery sizes and chargers.  In the mean time I'll just have to work with a hodge podge of NiCad and Makita stuff.

Anyway - this new blower and trimmer are nice additions and work well.  The blower is really convenient and useful.  I could even see having a second one to live at the sawmill.

HM126

Corley5

Love my M18 stuff.  Wife uses the blower for our leaves.  She and the 9AH battery run out of juice about the same time.  Same with the string trimmer.  Wouldn't be without the chainsaw.  Ultra handy.  I rarely use a gas powered one anymore.  The impacts rock.  I haven't used an air one in a long time.  I haven't used a tool that needs a cord or hose in a long time.  The table saw and miter saw are on my short list.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Southside

You will be happy with the line. I have the same blower for the mill, chainsaw, the 1/2" impact will knock the duals off of my 8640 without breaking a sweat or changing batteries. The drill and driver and grease gun can't be beat. Looking for an angle grinder to go on sale. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

You wont regret it.  Im not normally for technology but id hate to go back to 14.4 ryobi!  Id wear milwaukee underoos if they made them.  

Offered to trade a new shield 9 for a 3/4 fuel impact kit this morning but it was sold. I bought my dad the half inch years ago and it smokes my snap-on 4850HO which was the cats meow in 08 when i got it.

I use the angle grinder with a diamond wheel for stone cuts when doing walls.  No need for a generator.
Praise The Lord

btulloh

It's hard to argue with the Milwaukee reputation, although the other top o the line brands are good too.  

Now I've got a long shopping list of red tools. I can sneak up on it though. Don't have to do it all at once. 

I did just add some mad money to my stash when I sold my F150 and blowed up zero turn plus a couple other things I wasn't using. Trouble is, that money seems to get spent three times if I'm not careful.  :D

Milwaukee trimmer head has some nice features. If it holds up over time, I might replace the head on the FS90 with the Milwaukee head. Have to see how it holds up. 
HM126

trapper

Make sure you buy the milwaukee fuel.  I have the regular m18 impact screwdriver and not impressed. I have all the m18 tools i want.  sure is nice to have good tools to do the job.  I sawed for a fellow that has a friend that works there.  Got the 1/2 impact and hedge trimmer thru him for the sawing. the sawzall is so good I gave my milwaukee corded one to my daughter.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

gspren

Are the batteries between the m18 and the fuel 18 interchangeable?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

btulloh

Quote from: trapper on September 20, 2020, 10:41:11 PMMake sure you buy the milwaukee fuel.

Roger that.  Trying to stay in the top tier, but it's not always clear what's what.  I guess "Fuel" is the key that.?   Like all the manufacturers, there are different tiers, and it makes a big difference.  There are so may combos and kits available, it's hard to separate the sheep from the goats, or even compare prices.  Right now I need to start building up the battery stock as I go and I want a mixture of 3,5 aH mostly.  I got two 9aH so far with the first two tools.  Good choice for the blower and trimmer, but too heavy for drills and impacts I think.  I could see where those 9aH bats would be nice to have if I'm sinking a bunch of 10" Timberloks though, or using the circ saw a lot.  

gspren asks a good question that I'm not quite sure I've got sorted out yet.  It seems like M18 batteries are all the same other than aH rating, but the tools are what carry the "Fuel" designation.  Got to get that straight I guess.  Maybe @trapper can clear that up for us.

Anyway, so far so good with my Milwaukee endeavor.  I've got a long way to go, but plenty of time to get there.
HM126

Magicman

I read:

The M18 and M18 Fuel:  The batteries are the same, but the tools themselves are different. The standard M18 tools used brushed motors, and the M18 Fuel uses brushless and are generally more powerful, more compact, and more expensive.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Then a mixture of Fuel and regular M18 tools would be OK if some tools won't be used often. I am also needing to upgrade one of these days, my Makita 14.4 V tools have done well but they are obsolete.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

It's interesting to note that (Japanese) Techtronic Industries (TTi) owns Ryobi, Milwaukee, Oreck, Hoover, Dirt Devil, and many other brands. Each separate company's headquarters are in the USA but Ryobi and Milwaukee are manufactured in the same factory in Hong Kong.  Ridgid is manufactured in Ohio, USA.

The Connecticut-based Stanley Black & Decker owns many brands beyond its name, including Lenox, Craftsman, Irwin Tools, Porter Cable, Bostitch, and DeWalt.  They are manufactured worldwide, but have 48 manufacturing facilities in the USA, some of which are; New Britain, Connecticut; Hampstead, Maryland; Shelbyville, Kentucky; Greenfield, Indiana; Cheraw, South Carolina; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Jackson, Tennessee. .

There are only 4 major tool manufacturers in the world and sorting them out will make your head spin.   smiley_dizzy headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jeepcj779

I just picked up the Fuel chainsaw and blower as a combo from Home Depot for $159 off. Both for use on the mill (after I go pick it up in about 10 days). Link:

Fuel Chainsaw/Blower Combo

Southside

Hilti makes some nice stuff too, but $$$   :o  $500 for a cordless angle grinder and battery....
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Crusarius

If you want good prices on drill driver combo northern has great prices. I have built my M18 collection slowly going to farm shows. I got to know the guys at the booths and usually walk in and ask whats a good deal this time. Most of the time I end up walking out with something new shiny and red :)

The milwaukee heated jackets are really nice!!!!! as close to underoos as your gonne get :)

BTW did any of you notice milwaukee has a batter powered air compressor?

btulloh

Quote from: Crusarius on September 24, 2020, 06:29:18 AMThe milwaukee heated jackets are really nice!!!!! as close to underoos as your gonne get BTW did any of you notice milwaukee has a batter powered air compressor

I saw the compressor - interesting.  Didn't know about the jacket.  Seems they make so many different tools in that line now it's hard to know what's available.  There's a whole line of plumbing related battery tools.  Fortunately, I don't need or want any of those. :D
HM126

Crusarius

one of the other great things about M18 which may or may not matter to alot of ppl, The extrication tools (jaws of life) on our fire trucks are M18 powered. Sure beats dragging the hydraulic hoses around a very hazardous situation and risking damage. Plus now we do not have to hope we can get the hydraulic pump started. Also use M18 batteries on the gurneys for up and down. 

So that means there is a good chance that the batteries will be supported for quite a long time.

btulloh

Jaws of life, gurneys. Interesting. 

Just added to my collection with the m18 Fuel angle grinder and 5ah battery. A good deal showed up, so I jumped on it. Tool and battery for 179. Seemed too good to pass up. 

HM126

Crusarius

btulloh you will have to let us know how that works. I have been thinking about one alot.

btulloh

Will do.  

I plan to take it on a test drive today.  No specific job under way right now, but I'll cut off some heavy angle iron with a cutoff wheel and then try grinding a little.  Probably not enough to really get a feel for the battery time, but then this is not for long grinding tasks anyway.  Kinda like all the other battery stuff - doesn't replace cords or gas, but useful and handy for small, quick jobs.

I have four or five corded angle grinders ranging from POS to really good that I'll compare this to.  It looks like this Milwaukee is supposed to be equivalent to a 10 or 11 amp grinder.  We'll see.

Right now I need to get the battery out of the blister pack.  I think they've achieved a new level of design on this particular blister pack.  Virtually impossible to open using any known tool or technique that currently exists on earth.  I've used a lot of navy words already, and none of those have helped either.  Maybe I need to invent some new special words.   :)
HM126

Crusarius

I usually use a sharp knife or box cutter and cut along the seam

Corley5

I've got grinder like that except mine has a locking switch on the top rather than the paddle.  Haven't fought with a corded grinder in long time.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Southside

There is an M18 tool for cutting those blister packs..... :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

😂😂 You beat me to it, Southside!😂😂 Man I hate blister packs, I'm surprised they haven't been outlawed. People have to be cutting themselves badly trying to open them? You'd think in today's litigious environment that someone would've gotten a huge settlement already.
Too many irons in the fire

btulloh

Yeah - roger all that. 

Finally got it.  This one sets a record for difficulty.  Sounds like Crusarius has no difficulty with these things.  Maybe he can show the rest of us.  :)  There's no "usually" with this particular blister pack design.

I've tried just about everything on blister packs including the bandsaw.  Maybe an oscillating tool with a fine tooth saw blade would work - but I don't have one.

No cuts or contusions on this go round, but it test my patience.  (And I don't have much patience.)
HM126

Wudman

Quote from: btulloh on October 06, 2020, 05:00:00 PM
Jaws of life, gurneys. Interesting.

Just added to my collection with the m18 Fuel angle grinder and 5ah battery. A good deal showed up, so I jumped on it. Tool and battery for 179. Seemed too good to pass up.

That's the universal forester key.  I have one that rides with me.  They make quick work of a padlock when I get locked out of one of my own tracts.  Those heavy duty Master locks will defeat a set of bolt cutters, but that angle grinder takes care of the deal.  Great tool.
Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!