iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boots

Started by randy d, October 01, 2020, 08:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy d

Went shopping for some new Red Wing boots I had a pair of 608 Red Wings that have been very good for the last 3 years but the store didn't have them in stock so I got a pair 903 they are close to the same just a different sole hope they last as long as the last pair . what do you wear?  Randy

hopm

farmfromkansas

I used to wear work boots, but as I get older, can't carry all that weight.  Now I just wear tennies. Or Mucks in winter. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

scsmith42

I've tried a lot of boot brands over the years, and for the past 4 years I've been wearing Keens.  They fit my feet well, and the ones that I buy are made in the USA.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Sedgehammer

Different ones Different times of the year. Warm weather work boots are Sportsmans guide brand guide gear 8" moc toe wedge. Very little tread, as i refuse to remove my boots every time I go in the house. I think these are $89. Very comfortable.

FSI Avenger Men's Hammer 8" Insulated Waterproof Leather Carbon Toe Puncture Resistant EH Industrial Safety Work Boot. These be my cold weather go to. Extremely comfortable. $139 on Amazonian

The expensive ones I stopped buying. They don't last any longer. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Old Greenhorn

Well I am heartened to see that I am not the only guy going for 'less expensive' boots. I too am 'seasonal' in my selection. I gave up and red wings years ago when the quality went down and they were killing my feet big time. I wear Georgia Loggers (steel toe and shank, and a heel that might be a tad too high) when in the woods cutting and skidding. Too much shale around here to wear anything less. For working around the mill and in the yard I wear a Moc composite toe, but they have a lug sole and I think the next pair I will go with Sledge's approach because they just carry too much junk. I am due to replace these soon because the stitching is letting go and water pours in when I step in a puddle. I can't find anyone to re-run the stitches and gave up looking. I got the current ones through my previous employer's safety shoe program. In fact I have not bought boots or shoes myself for over a decade with that program because they allow one pair a year and I would alternate street/shop shoes, work boot, duty boot (zip sides) every year and stayed ahead. I still have 3 sets of duty boots to wear out because when I stopped running fire/EMS I slowed down on wearing those. I may switch back to them for a while I am tired of wet feet.
 I really would like to get something higher than 8" for the heavy rough work because my real hazard is my shins. They are covered in scars and bruises between logs, rocks, and tools there are always at least one example of each stage of wound healing going on. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Sedgehammer

@old greenhorn I'd just a set of shin guards. Those really tall boots are extremely hard on the wallets. Plus you can just remove them when done and not have to carry all that weight all the time

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Sedgehammer on October 02, 2020, 08:36:51 AM
@old greenhorn I'd just a set of shin guards. Those really tall boots are extremely hard on the wallets. Plus you can just remove them when done and not have to carry all that weight all the time
:D :D :D :D ;DI have considered it @Sledgehammer .... briefly (2 seconds is brief, right?) :D
 If I did that I would have to wear them all the time anyway except when eating dinner or taking a shower. I seem to whack my legs in even the most mundane situations and as I am beginning to get that 'old man thin skin' it doesn't take much to open it up.
 Besides, those guards always move around to find the most uncomfortable positions, it's as if they 'just know' where not to be. 
 I do suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea when I am splitting wood because that is a 'high incidence' activity when a split drops off and catches my leg/shin/foot (usually all 3). I could really use armored pants when splitting wood.
 I have never owned anything with more than an 8" upper height except for my L.L. Bean Maine hunting boots which I got when I was 17 and still wear in the right conditions (I take care of those), they are 14" if I recall and great for deep snow, but not real warm by themselves. I also have a pair of Sorrels for really cold snowy weather, but the uppers are fabric and they don't have the support for real work. They are good for snow camping and snowshoeing only pretty much.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

I have had really good luck with Sketchers and Chippewa boots.  I will get about 4 months out of the Sketchers and 5 or 6 out of the Chippewa.  Now these are on my feet all day, 7 days a week, in and out of mud, cow manure, sawdust, etc so they take a beating.  To top it off I have a bit of a gimp in my walk due to breaking my L4 20 something years ago so my left foot drops and I always wear out the left boot in the same spot pre-maturely. The right boot will still have plenty of life in it.  My wife finds them on sale at $50 - $60 so can't complain about the price.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Schmidt 9" Loggers from TSC. Heavy but good protection for shins and steel toes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

Good info here. I don't need the high end boots for daily wear. I think I'll try both of Sedgehammers suggestions. I like the smoother soles for daily wear also. I have a good pair of insulated Irish Setter hunting boots with the waffle stomper soles that are great in the bad terrain, but they pick up and hold a lot of dirt and mud. 
HM126

Old saw fixer

For years now I have been wearing Red Wing #2240 composite toe work boots.  Yes, they are made offshore.  I keep two pair, alternating them daily.  Until September 2019 I was on concrete  8-9 hours a day and they held up well.  I paid for them myself because the shoes the state would pay for were crapola. I got one pair of Red Wings the last year working for the state, someone made a good decision for once!  When I think back on my work life, I have been standing or working on a concrete floor except for the time I spent driving a police cruiser.  I think that my feet have held up because I always wore higher end shoes.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Sedgehammer

@Old saw fixer I agree to a point. point being just because they are expensive doesn't mean they a better. I use to wear that exact boot, but in a 8". Loved the fit, just not the price and they'd only last a year. I can tell pretty much as soon as i put a shoe on if it'll hurt or help. Walmart shoes, everyone, crapola. My works shoes are my most comfortable pairs of shoes I have. I use to have some of the sketcher 'shape ups' tennis and dress. They were the ultimate, but i wore them out (5 pair).

Texas Ranger

My boots are made for walking.  With that in mind, I gave up on Red Wings, a pair would last a year.  I still have a pair of insulated red wings that I don't wear very often, Texas ya know.  Other than that, Sorrel packs and Magnum boots.  Magnum most comfortable I have worn, just fit my feet, I guess.  But, none are designed (that I have) for industrial use.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Used to be a fan of Red Wings until the last pair I bought. They were saved for later and stored away and hardly worn. I took them out of the closet a year ago and walked in them 4 miles on pavement. By the time I got to the house the sole material had turned into a crumbly mess. I said this must be some kind of joke. I went to the local shoe shop to see if the soles can be replaced. The answer was no, they are not repairable. My dad said years ago when he noticed Red Wings had slid into the hole when he seen how the soles and such were put together. You want a boot with a Goodyear welt and nothing with a sole that looks like see through rubber. I have to get my shoes online now. They want to sell $50 Chinese junk for $300 around here.

My latest pair for hiking boots are made in Winnipeg, Manitoba by Canada West boots (W. M. Moorby) , I bought them through Herberts Boots in Ontario (online). 100% premium leather, Goodyear welt, and Vibrum soles and insulated. $290 delivered, cheaper than on Amazon to.

Here are some other styles they make for work boots. They do not sell direct.

Canada West Lace Work | Canada West Boots
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gere Flewelling

Old Greenhorn- I would suggest a pair of soccer shin guards to provide a lightweight guard with sufficient padding.  They will likely stay in place better if worn under the pant leg. Most soccer players wear shorts but are on the run all the time.  It might give the old wounds a chance to heal up a little quicker smiley_idea.  I haven't actually tried them, but your comment got me thinking about it.  I spend a lot of time with easily bruised shins like you.  Cutting firewood seems to get me the most.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Sedgehammer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 03, 2020, 03:07:49 AM
Used to be a fan of Red Wings until the last pair I bought. They were saved for later and stored away and hardly worn. I took them out of the closet a year ago and walked in them 4 miles on pavement. By the time I got to the house the sole material had turned into a crumbly mess. I said this must be some kind of joke. I went to the local shoe shop to see if the soles can be replaced. The answer was no, they are not repairable. My dad said years ago when he noticed Red Wings had slid into the hole when he seen how the soles and such were put together. You want a boot with a Goodyear welt and nothing with a sole that looks like see through rubber. I have to get my shoes online now. They want to sell $50 Chinese junk for $300 around here.

My latest pair for hiking boots are made in Winnipeg, Manitoba by Canada West boots (W. M. Moorby) , I bought them through Herberts Boots in Ontario (online). 100% premium leather, Goodyear welt, and Vibrum soles and insulated. $290 delivered, cheaper than on Amazon to.

Here are some other styles they make for work boots. They do not sell direct.

Canada West Lace Work | Canada West Boots
They look likw very nice boots. Trouble is nearly all of them have extremely aggressive soles. I could though wear a few of them. The 50181 I like the look. I could wear that it.                                                   

dgdrls

Boot are an area I don't mind spending good money for great boots.
If they're glued, I'm not interested with the exception
of my day hikers which are not work boots,

I'm in Carolina Lineman's boots 1905 series,  EH, steel toe they are a nice
lower heel 10" tall boot.  They get cleaned and oiled regularly.

D

Old saw fixer

As I wear out these RW's I will look at some different boots. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Sedgehammer

Quote from: dgdrls on October 03, 2020, 10:23:55 AM
Boot are an area I don't mind spending good money for great boots.
If they're glued, I'm not interested with the exception
of my day hikers which are not work boots,

I'm in Carolina Lineman's boots 1905 series,  EH, steel toe they are a nice
lower heel 10" tall boot.  They get cleaned and oiled regularly.

D
I won't buy a steel toe boot. Seen to many peoples feet get pinched when the toe got hit. Plus they are cold. If I buy with it's the composite toe. 

gspren

The EH (electrical hazard) is nice if you work around much electricity but be prepared for more static shocks, they weren't allowed in some of the buildings where I worked.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

dgdrls

SedgeHammer,  gspren

agreed gentlemen,  When I purchased the Carolinas' I took advantage of a company benefit
however, I had to meet their spec but still wanted a boot I felt comfortable in milling or chainsawing.
I like the the lower heel and extra leather on the toe.

Next pair will likely be from a PNW boot builder, composite toe, and no longer need EH rating.

D

Skip

Amen , SedgeHammer ,sometimes more than a pinch . :o

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Skip on October 04, 2020, 07:35:14 AM
Amen , SedgeHammer ,sometimes more than a pinch . :o
Yeah unfortunately. It protects them to a point, but once it's crushed, it doesn't let go. 

Thank You Sponsors!