iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugar Maple

Started by Gnight, November 09, 2000, 09:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnight

I was wondering if anyone could tell me, how much on average, a sugar maple that is 30 feet tall and 14.1 inches in diameter and has a board feet of 132, would be worth.  This is just a school project for forest stewardship.  Thank You very much.

Ron Scott

Someone may answer better with your prices there in Pennsylvania, but prices from the Michigan DNR's latest Average Stumpage Price Report for the local NW Michigan area for Sugar Maple:       Average price:$376.83/MBF ($.38/bd.ft.)
High price:  $919.54/MBF ($.92/bd.ft.)
Low price: $117.00/MBF ($.12/bd.ft.)  
The price ranges on tree quality,logging costs, etc. At theses prices your individual tree value on the stump would be $15.84 to $121.44 or $50.16 average price.          

~Ron

Ron Wenrich

Pennsylvania averages range from $375/Mbf to $450/Mbf depending on your area.

At $375 your 132 bf would = $49.50
At $450 your 132 bf would = $59.40

Due to the size of the tree, I would use the lower estimate.  Smaller trees are worth less per foot than larger trees.  Larger trees will yield a higher proportion of high grade lumber than smaller trees.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Forester Frank

Real average price from private is $300/MBF with decent grade and average diameter 16".

Many small(under 16") logs being taken, as landowners are cashing in early with the good sugar maple market.

I tell them that they are imposing their own "penalty for early withdrawal", as many trees on private land are being cut too soon.

I find that the larger companies are actually practicing sustainable forestry. Companies such as Georgia-Pacific, Weyerhaeuser, and Sappi.

Good luck with your project.
Forester Frank

Thank You Sponsors!