iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And another sawmill build thread...

Started by Ljohnsaw, July 11, 2015, 12:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Replaced my 2 gallon lawn tractor gas tank and the 5 gallon plastic lube jug with two 5 gallon stainless kegs.
Fuel:

Lube:

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

Don't mistake those for a frosty treat during milling :)

Ljohnsaw

6/14/2022

I had a few items on my agenda to finish on my Ford 545D yesterday and, amazingly, they all went smoothly.  I brought up my mag drill to use if I had time to make a change on my mill.

The original build was for 3 sections of track.  Two at 16'+/- and one middle one of 8' or so.  On the short section I put a jack at each corner.  The longer ones I set the jacks in about 40" or so.  With the sections all bolted together, it was pretty stout.  But I needed a longer track.

So I split the tracks apart and inserted 5' sections of 2x3x¼" angle track (with no supports or cross members).  This track is only to support the saw head.  A problem now arises if I move my adjustable bunks towards the middle (the inside ends of the long tracks).  Setting a log on those causes the track to "pop a wheelie".

So, I removed the jacks, one at a time, and drilled new mount holes with my new mag drill at the corners.  Man, I love that drill.  Took longer to layout the holes than to drill them.  Now I can move my bunks toward the center to accommodate the length of logs better.  If you look at the near rail where the shadow line crosses, you see the four holes where the jack was attached.  I've already moved the log bunk to a better location.  It was was at the left edge of frame previously.

Same here.  The old location is in the full sun to the left and the bunk has been moved already, too.

Here is the full track shot where you can see the "extensions" in place.

I had to dig down a bit through the sawdust to get to solid ground again.  I use 3/4" foundation stakes outside each pad to keep the mill from shifting about when loading logs.  Like this guy.  17'5" 30/34" diameter.

Toolbox says it weighs in around 4,800 pounds.  I think it's more than that because my SkyTrak got a little light in the rear end - it is rated at 9,000 pounds.  Also, my Ford 545D is rated at 5,000 pounds and all I could do was lift the rear up with my very heavy Gannon box on it along with lots of wheel weights.

Plan to saw that log up tomorrow into a number of posts.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Cornerstone

Nice work John.

I'll admit it, I have log envy. :D That thing is giant.
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Ljohnsaw

Well, that's the small one.  The other two are 33'+ 36-48" diameter.  That's next week or two's task.
John Sawicky

fluidpowerpro

Corner, after you get a few logs under your belt you will realize that bigger is not necessarily better. Every mill has a "sweet spot" as far as log size. I get excited when the log is in the sweet spot. Too big and its a bitch to mill.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Ljohnsaw

Update 6/16-17/2022:

FP is right.  Lots of work.  Make an opening cut and wrestle with a 3-400 pound slab.  Put a sling/strap around it and lift with the SkyTrak to rotate 1/8 turn.  Go 180° and take another slab off.  Repeat for the other two sides.  Slice off a 8x25 flitch and use wedges to lift it so I can get a pry bar to move it to the side and onto forks.  And so on.  Took most of today to process it.  Ponderosa pine is HEAVY!  If I didn't have the SkyTrak, I wouldn't be doing this.

Yesterday, I set up my camping trailer in the morning and in the afternoon, I took the above log and made it into this 21x25 cant.

That produced two loads of this.  My neighbor took it for firewood for next winter.

Today, I changed my mind midway so I didn't get everything I wanted needed.  Ended up with the 8x12 for the middle south post and five 5x9 loft floor joists.  I need one more and with better planning, and sticking to it, I would have gotten it.

The joists will go here (the needed 6th you can see the place for it in the next bay).

I've got this scrap 3.25 x 25 semi-live edge 17' slab, a 5x6 laying on it and a few 1.25-1.5" boards.  I figure my neighbor can make a narrow 6-8' picnic table with half the slab, split the other half to make benches and use the 5x6 for trestle legs.  They have a small deck so narrow might be good.  There is enough other extra to make the bench legs.

It was cold last night so I had a little fire.  Ah, camping!

John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!