iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Troubleshooting

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, April 24, 2020, 12:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

Hi All
I have an issue with my mill and in trying to figure out the whys so I can come up with a solution i would like to get some information. When you are running your mill and you run the blade too long so its dull, does it come off the wheels and if so how. What I am asking I guess is when you throw a blade does it come off the front of the wheel or does it come off the back of the wheel and does it come off the drive side or the idle side. If it comes off the back does it get behind the wheel/ wheels. 
Mine comes off and gets behind the drive side wheel and breaks a tooth or two off,  ruining the blade. I am on purpose not mentioning mill brand as I am not looking to bash my mill just tweak it a little
Thanks
george
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

doc henderson

if they are dull and start to wander, they can come off all sorts of ways.  most behind, and if you do not stop the forward movement of the carriage, it will bend, break your band.  It is far better to stop before dull, even though you might get a few more cuts out of it.  then it can be re-sharpened, and reused.  if over stressed, it may break next time.  You may spend and hour getting the whole mess untangled.  getting the band out of a 10 foot cut ect.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

I don't see how one of mine could ever come off the back because of the lip on the roller guides and the fact the guides are connected from the back. I always assumed they came off the front. That is one factor in favor of a walk beside mill as I can feel when my blade is starting to struggle. I put on a new one a couple weeks ago and immediately changed it after one cut because it seemed in a strain. The next one cut like a hot knife through butter so either I put a dull blade back in the box with the new ones or one missed re-sharpening. I suspect the former is a more likely explanation. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

I guess it depends on the mill.  I've maybe thrown bands 3 times silence I started sawing.  When a band gets exceptionally dull for me, it will wave, and then starts cutting so bad it has to come off.  Even if I hit metal and knock lots of teeth off, the band will wander, and even sometimes pour our black smoke as I try to limp through the rest of the cut, but it will still not throw the band.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

yes I think the stress pulls it off the band wheels first then it is able to go behind the wheels/guide wheels.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

If you get one hot enough it can dive so far it will ride over the blade guides. I've had tis happen more from pitch build up than dull blades though. I don't think mentioning the brand of mill would mean you are bashing it, it may give us more insight to help you troubleshoot it and get things adjusted, etc.
Too many irons in the fire

Nebraska

The only times I knock blades off are when I forget to shut off the lube and I suck too much diesel under the band on the drive side. Seems like it usually slips forward when it does it. By grace I haven't done it for a while. I've only knocked knocked blades off while sawing if I forget to tension the blade fully before I start or fail to lift the carriage before backing up... ::) You should see other things in your cuts before you have a blade so dull it pushed off. Do you have a manual mill?? because then you should be able to feel and hear it starting to dull.

Patrick NC

x2 on too much lube. I've had that happen a couple times. Always comes off the front on mine. Another time I got a bad batch of blades and every one gave me problems with popping off. Seems they all had a slight crown ( or inverted crown). Friend of mine ran them through his roller to flatten them out and no problem after that.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Chuck White

Quote from: SW_IOWA_SAWYER on April 24, 2020, 12:49:37 PM
Hi All
I have an issue with my mill and in trying to figure out the whys so I can come up with a solution i would like to get some information. When you are running your mill and you run the blade too long so its dull, does it come off the wheels and if so how. What I am asking I guess is when you throw a blade does it come off the front of the wheel or does it come off the back of the wheel and does it come off the drive side or the idle side. If it comes off the back does it get behind the wheel/ wheels.
Mine comes off and gets behind the drive side wheel and breaks a tooth or two off,  ruining the blade. I am on purpose not mentioning mill brand as I am not looking to bash my mill just tweak it a little
Thanks
george
Taking a tooth or two off shouldn't RUIN the blade!
When you get the blade back to the shop, take a pair of vice-grips and clamp it on the broken teeth and bend them so they're straight up, like a raker!
Then set and sharpen the blade and it should cut just like normal.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DPatton

I can't say that I've ever had a blade come off because it was dull. Typically only happens if I back the head up without raising it high enough or I hit metal substantial enough that the blade doesn't cut thru it. Even when I get a pitch buildup and the blade dives erratically I can usually baby it out of a dive and finish the cut. I'm guessing that there is more of an underlying issue than just a dull blade. I would start by looking for things like maybe your blade wheel alignment isn't quite right? Do you have blade belts, and are they heavily worn? Do you have a band wheel bearing going out? Is something wrong with your blade guide alignment? Is there enough tension on the blade? is there something wrong with the blades themselves? Etc.....
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!