iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

carriage troubleshooting

Started by Mikefults, December 28, 2014, 08:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikefults

New owner of LT70 Woodmizer.  I just purchased a used 2012 mill. When we got the mill home the carriage will only move one way. It will not move forward to cut a log. We have checked all we know to check. The brushings in the motor we put in new today. Still no luck on getting the carriage to move. All the hydraulics are working. Any help would be great.
2012 LT70 Woodmizer Yanmar Diesel Engine with remote.

flatrock58

When I bought my LT40 this summer I called the local Woodmizer and they talked me through some problems with the UP/Down circuit.   They were happy yo help me and there was no charge.  Great people at the Newnan store in Georgia. 

You are saying that the carriage will move backwards fine but not forward at all?  The forward movement goes through the paddle switch and then the variac for speed control on the LT40.  Have you taken anything apart to see if there are any loose or burnt connections?  I would think the motor would be OK if it goes one direction.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Mikefults

Can't help with the 70 other than to suggest a call to WM
hang tight and help will arrive here soon I'm sure.

Best
DGDrls

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! I have the LT40, but I think the LT70 uses similar switches in the big box. The forward/neutral/reverse switch sometimes can fail or be in need of a cleaning. The variable speed switch can also fail. Also, if that speed control is set to zero, it won't move either. If you can't find a solution by looking in the troubleshooting section of your manual, call WM and they can walk you through a few things to diagnose the problem.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

flatrock58

Welcome to the forum Mikefults.  Where are you located?  There is a lot of experience here and I am sure between the forum and WM you should get an answer quick.  I was looking back at an old post explaining the way the drum switch works with in the forward mode. 
Take a look at this post. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,78535.msg1192013.html#msg1192013

6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

bandmiller2

Mike you have probably tried it but, if I remember right, check the speed control knob that its not turned down all the way. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mikefults.  Adding your location to your profile might help with future questions.  You just might have a FF member for a neighbor.   :)

No help with your LT70 other than to advise you to give WM a call, and have a 12V test light handy.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

i too have just purchased a used wm mill.  here's the best advice that was given to me:  call wm and register your mill.  they will give you a customer no and it will greatly assist parts purchasing and tracking.  then call tech support with your 12v light handy and they will talk you through your issues.  i've called them several times already and they are very helpful.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

thecfarm

Mikefults,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mikefults

Thanks for all the reply's. Just went out and checked the speed control. It was all the way down. Turned it up.............ITS FIXED!! Thank you all so much. Any advice on the best blades to buy? Going to be sawing 70% hardwood.(Hickory, Hard Maple, ect; also soft wood.) Not separating species. For best production.
2012 LT70 Woodmizer Yanmar Diesel Engine with remote.

Magicman

Do you plan on resharpening yourself?  If not, most WM Resharp centers will only resharpen WM blades.
I use WM Doublehard 10°.  I am sure that you would also be fine with 7°.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YoungStump

The speed control knob and the emergency stop got me a few times too, for a little.  :)
I would try Woodmizers Turbo 7 in .055 thickness either 1.5" or 1.25" width I've had good luck with these on my LT70.
Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your sawing.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Mikefults on December 28, 2014, 09:49:38 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. Just went out and checked the speed control. It was all the way down. Turned it up.............ITS FIXED!! Thank you all so much. Any advice on the best blades to buy? Going to be sawing 70% hardwood.(Hickory, Hard Maple, ect; also soft wood.) Not separating species. For best production.

I'm glad that was all that it was. I run WM 10° for most woods, but when they are frozen, or really hard, like black locust or hickory, I use a 4°. I have never tried the 7° bands, but I'd like to some time. It would be nice to have one band that would do everything.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

flatrock58

Good news.  Glad that was the only problem.  I use 9 ° only because I got the blades and sharpener with the mill and the CBN is 9° .
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mikefults.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slider

You are probably good with the band width that came on your mill but if you change to a wider band don't forget to get the wider roller guides.al
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!