iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the forum

Started by BBTom, April 04, 2002, 03:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBTom

Hello all,
  Just wanted to say hi to everyone and let them have a good laugh at my expense.  You see, I have been many things in my short 50 yrs on this earth. From restaurant manager to warehouse manage for Gv't surplus to computer whiz to farmer and a few ods and ends in between.  Well, I got out of farming last year and figured there must be something new and interesting to do with my life.
  My father, a full 85 yrs young ( who can outwork most 50 yr olds) thought that we should look into a small sawmill to help clean up the woods on the farm.  I looked and started asking around, and what I saw was that almost everyone who was ever sawing with a portable bandmill is either passed on or still in the business full time in one niche or another.  So I called Woodmizer (after looking at several) and they had one in stock with all the bells and whistles on it.  I drove dawn to Indianapolis ( about a 4 hr drive for me) and picked it up the next day.( December 31, 2001)  That day was the first time that I have ever sawed a log into lumber.  I have worn out more than one chainsaw in my time cutting firewood, but never ever sawed a board.   I love it, am just now starting to get my feet wet doing a few jobs in the area, and find that with a helper, I can saw 1500 bd ft of hardwood a day.  with 2 good helpers, that could easily be 2000.  
So it all boils down to the fact that I have many experiences to share, but very few of them to do with sawing.  But I am listening and learning!!!! :P

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Jeff

Welcome BBTom  (sorry I'm lisdexick)  :)

If you ventured into any of the threads, you will find that we all share information on almost anything, but are always prepared to answer the sawmill and forestry topics. Glad to have ya. So as I dont get Tom Tom on the brain with all our other Toms I'll be refering to ya as BB if ya don't mind ;) unless you have something else you prefer?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

well Tom(?) BB....  ( thought I was talking to myself there for a moment.)   If you are cutting 1500 feet a day you are doing real good. I average 1300 on my Lt40HD.  That's a pretty good day, especially if you are portable custom sawing.  You will find that your production is based more on what your customers are able to do if you are depending on them for labor.  Usually they are desk types and, if you wanted to,  you could hurt them.

Welcome !

Bibbyman

Fine choice in mills – orange is my favorite color ;D.  

Lots of times the new-guy are the best because all the problems are fresh in their mind.  Besides,  all the great ideas come from the guys that don't already know it all and have to come up with something new.

I'm looking forward to your posts.  

P.S. get a digital camera or a scanner.  We like pictures.  ;)

[/size]
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodman

Welcome TomBB and i hope you like your new name.
Jim Cripanuk

Bud Man

I like the ring of BBTom too, so if it suits ya, that it'll be.  If It don't speak your peace.  Welcome to The Forestry Forum, Ain't Another One Like It !!  Your ahead of me BBTOM,  cause my Wood-Mizer won't be delivered till May 3.   I've been around for a couple of months, thought I allready knew it all,  but the more I log on the more I realize how little I really knew,  but I'm getting educated and having fun too.   Forum is a fun place so jump in,  participate,  and learn things with the rest of us.   It's got a lot of topics about Forestry and some miscellaneous stuff that's fun too.         "Welcome Aboard "
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

BBTom

Jeff
  As you can see, I accept my new name. Thanks for the welcome.
Tom
  Maybe it is these Ohio trees what gives me a high output :D I will have to remember not to work all of these guys like they are farmers,  Maybe that is why they have been red faced and panting by 4 oclock in the afternoon ;D ;D
Bibbyman
  I do enjoy my orange machine, just wish it had an autoleveling gismo like those fancy RV's.  just hit a button and it levels and sets itself up.  That is about the only extra it didn't have on it. ;)
Woodman
  Thanks for the welcome, I will wear BBTom for a while and see how it fits :)
Bud Man
  If it were not for learning, life would be a drag, guess that is why I keep doing different things!
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Frank_Pender

Welcome, BBTom.  It is noce to have snother well rounded teacher/learner on the forum.  You are sure correct in the learning statement.   Everyday is a classroom for all of us.  :P Some forget their books, :-[ others are tardy, :-/ some skip class from time to time, :'( while others are in attendance and learning al the while.  
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

BBTom,  only had a problem leveling our LT40 one time. ;D

LT40HDE25-RA with 25hp 3ph with Command Control, Accuset, etc. but no wheels! :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

BBTom

:D :D I guess you do have that problem licked Bibbyman, Looks like it would be easy to clean up around.  
 Have you gotten used to that Accuset yet?  I have never milled with anything else, would not know how to run my mill manually!   Love that laser too, whenever I am inside I don't have to guess where the cut will be. Maybe someday I will develop calibrated eyeballs, but not yet for certain.

WV_hillbilly

Welcome BB Tom,

I 'm new to this place too .The info and stories are great. I hope you learn alot and have a few laughs also.I' ve only been around a week and am suprised how many threads I have read.

Where are you located at in Ohio? I would like to find someone with a mill not to far from me that I could help sometimes to learn about these mills . I live Near Wheeling ,WV.

Keep the saw dust flying,     WV hillbilly
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!