Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Hot

Started by Ron Wenrich, June 19, 2006, 05:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I want to hear about this trek across Death Valley.   

Isn't that the place that stopped the folks from making it to Calyforn-i-oh?

And here was Furby, scampering across one morning in his blue suede tennis shoes, basketball shorts, oversized muscle shirt and backwards baseball cap. :D

Furby

That's about the size of it Tom! :D
Did I mention I didn't take anything to drink with me. :o
Everyone make a note, that is a really bad thing to forget!

Tom

Did you live? :P  :D

Furby

Some days I'm not sure! ;)

tomboysawyer

When is it too hot for what? Working in the forest? Going sailing?

Never too hot to work in my woods. Hope it stays cool enough for Jon on Thursday when he's over working. Sunday was a hot one here. I wasn't sittin' on a porch. I was bombing around on my bulldozer pushing stumps out of my future front yard and skidding maples an white pine. Hubby had a fan on him in the backhoe as he pulled stumps. I don't get no fan in the dozer. Hmmm.

And, yes, except when I had to get out to help cut branches off trees, I was in my usuall "its nearly 100 degrees out and 90% humidity" attire. And, no, I don't have pictures and never will have pictures - so don't ask.

Hubby wanted to borrow my handkerchief hanging out my back pocket to plug the exhaust on the wheeler (technical difficulties) and I wouldn't let him have it.

"Can I have that rag?"
"What rag?"
"That one in your pocket."
"That's not a rag, that's my hankie. What do you want it for?"
"To plug the exhaust. What do you want it for?"
"To wipe the sweat off me all day."

We decided to use something other than my handkerchief. I realize soot on my face is not uncommon, but I try not to do it on purpose.

Never too hot to go sailing either.

But it was definitely too hot to cook inside on my stove. It is too hot to cook food indoors at about 80 degrees.

limbrat

When i was a kid i worked a couple of summers on my neighbors truck farm tending melons and sweet potatoes. He was a old black man named John Neil he spent most of his life behind a mule. He had the most beautiful and clear field hollar i have ever heard, he could talk to you from 400 yds away and sound like he was standing right next to you. (I cant do) Any way that first day i went over there in jeans, tee shirt,boots and a cap. We started planting slips at day lite and by noon i thought i would die. He let me off early and after supper he came over and we all went to tg&y to get me some work clothes. cotton kaki pants, a straw cowboy hat that was over sized so you could put a cloth in front to keep the sweat out of your eyes and these thin thin cotton long sleeve shirts. The shirts made all the differance keep the sleeves rolled down and buttoned because when you get hot the blood goes to your extremeties to cool, the shirt would get wet from sweat and when it evaporated it would cool the shirt and keep you cool well cooler than without it. But they were so thin that they dont hold the heat to you. It had to look funny to see a old black man and a white kid hoeing a melon patch in hundred degree weather in long sleeves but it was the best way to do it. I would sweat so much that in the evenings when i got home and dried i would have a film of salt on me. Being the only kid left at home i still had to tend to the garden and animals before i could clean up and eat. Might sound like im fussing but i kinda miss it and i know i miss John.
95 is to hot for the first hour and then i get sorta use to it
55 is my favorite temp.
humity is a soggy mess
ben

Corley5

An old family friend and my Grandpa's best friend always wore cotton flannel even making hay in the summer.  He'd buy new shirts in the fall and were them all winter.  When summer came the shirts had been worn and washed so that they were a bit thread bare.  This allowed for evaporation and ventilation but also held some moisture for cooling.  He swore by it and he grew up living and working in Northern Michigan lumber camps and learned this from the crews he worked with.  His mother was a cook and he came up through the ranks and was teamster.  After the lumber boom was over he worked as a manager on a couple large farms around here and always kept a team of horses.  He loved his team so much that he couldn't stand the thought of someone else possibly mistreating them and as part of his will the horses were to be sent for slaughter as soon as possible after his death.  They were
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stephen1

It was brutal on the week-end trying to put up the 1st row of logs.The winds were sucking up the polution from S. Ontario & the Ohio Valley, the humidity & the polution MADE US DIZZY on Sat. afternoon. Hit a high of 40c on the floor of the cabin. We had to go down to the lake for 4 swims in the afternoon. The lake water temperture went from 22C in the morn to 25 in the afternoon. Sure hope it cools off for this week-ends work. I have a back-hoe coming to put up the walls of the cabin.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ron Wenrich

My grandad always wore long johns.  He had a summer set that had short sleeves.  But, he used to always wear long sleeve shirts.  They were normally cotton, like a dress shirt.  He also always wore a felt hat.  And, he was a carpenter, so he was outside in most types of weather.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sawguy21

It is already 21C, about 73F, here at 10:30 in the morning which is real nice. However, The Weather Network says 38 for this afternoon. That is about 108F. HOLY KEERAP, how hot is that :o Supposed to stay in the 30's all week, I'm not used to this.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Max sawdust

Wow guess I am statistically weird ::) :D
I figure anything over 75F is too hot, for working or playing.  When I want it hotter I just fire up the Sauna and sit in 175F and cook for a bit ;D
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

dave7191

Much over 80 and it is to hot for me  I've got to stop at the thrift store for some more long sleved white shirts  I get sun burned real bad anymore if i go with my arms bare I think i still have a picture of my great grand father and his sons at the blacksmith shop with their work suite pants shirt and vest on and their leather aprons the coat and tie would have been hanging on a peg to put on before they left in the evening this would have in michigan about 80 miles south of Jeff the picture would have been taken about 1925

solodan

Out my way we can pick the temp we want. if  I  go down the hill it's 20 degrees hotter and up the hill it's 20 degrees cooler.  I put off going down the hill if it is already near 90 at my house,  and I'll go up the hill and take care of business.  I like 70 degrees in the late afternoon and mid 40's in the early morning. I have been in the desert in the mid 120's, and even though it is dry it is unbareably hot, but still better than any big city at 100 degrees.