iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree herbicide injector

Started by postville, August 14, 2012, 09:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postville

Has anyone used an injector to kill Hickory?
I have a lot sprouting from stumps, very thick in some areas. I don't want to spray and then have to walk through wet leaves.
Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

WDH

Use a basal spray with Garlon 4 and diesel fuel.  25% Garlon and 75% Diesel.  Add some squirts of dishwashing soap like Dawn as a surfactant.  You spray a swath about 12" long on the basal part of the stem.  Works on stems up to about 6" in basal diameter.  The Garlon label will describe the process of how to spray the stems.  On small stuff a couple of inches in diameter or less, one swath will do it.  One the bigger stems, you have to spray both sides.  Much better than the injector, and you can mix the herbicide in a backpack sprayer.  With the wand, you can spray the base of the stems and never have to get closer than about 3 feet to the stems. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mad murdock

Good technique WDH. Another way to treat stumps that sprout and tough to kill species(used a lot out here) is the hack and squirt method with an almost straight Imazapyr solution. Big leaf maple is one that is hard to kill any other way.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WDH

Hack-n-squirt is great, and I have done a ton of it.  It works better on bigger stems and where the woods are not so thick and tangled (for example, places other than Georgia  :D). 

The advantage of the basal spray on small stems is that you do not have to get so up close and personal with the stems (and the poison ivy, and the greenbriar, and the greenbriar, and the greenbriar  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Claybraker

I considered getting one, but the tool is $500, and has moving parts. The capsules are $250 per 1200. Figure 3000 stems per acre, it could get real expensive real fast. Just didn't seem worth it.

OTOH, if you go with the basal spray, invest a few dollars on the Gunjet 30. With a little practice, you can hit a 1/2" stem at 6-8'.

postville

Thanks all, I'll get set  up to spray. Bob

SwampDonkey

We experimented with a javelin type injector with loaded .22 shells containing Vision. We used it on aspen, one shell per inch diameter. Was ineffective.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 16, 2012, 03:19:06 AM
We experimented with a javelin type injector with loaded .22 shells containing Vision. We used it on aspen, one shell per inch diameter. Was ineffective.

But I bet it was fun!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

Those javelin-type injectors are medieval  :).

SwampDonkey

We're just barely ahead of the stone age up here. Still cooking and heating with wood. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Still chipping flint  :D.  Those skin clothes you were wearing at the Pig Roast did look pretty nice, though  :).

postville

This is the week to get the spraying done, it has finally cooled off.
Question- some info says to cover the entire base 12" up all the way around. Others have said just spray two stripes on opposite  sides.
Stems average 4-8 inches, some are stumps that have re-sprouted , others are still tree lengths.
I will be using Garlon 4 and diesel.
Bob

WDH

The bigger the basal diameter, the more chemical that you need to apply.  On small diameters, say 2" or less, one long swath about 12" on one side has worked for me.  From 2" to 4", a long swath on both sides.  Greater than 4", spray completely around the stem.

Thank You Sponsors!