iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fruits of "Urban Logging", pictures of yard tree furniture.

Started by Daren, April 13, 2006, 04:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

This wood would have gone to the burn pile, if my ears didn't perk up when I hear a chainsaw. Figured maple and walnut, both within earshot and free for the taking.

I still have some work to do, that is just one coat of finish.

Too bad the pictures don't do the grain justice, but you get the idea.

As a sidenote I talked to the city council and rural road board, I have always worked informally with them to get thier logs. I brought up the whole thing Jessica Simons had mentioned about them working with me to utilize the trees they remove instead of letting them go to waste (then go buy lumber for projects). Now the city is going to bring me logs and pay me to saw lumber for stuff like sidewalk pouring formboards, lumber to build stuff at the park and they need more park benches and are hiring me to build them... All kinds of little things came out of those conversations.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Jeff

I'd sure like to see that is person Darren. A guy can only imagine how it really looks. As good as it looks in the photo, I know, its impossible to capture everything that is there.  Great Job!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

WOW........What a beautiful table. Nice work Daren 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isawlogs

Yep thats one nice table ... but ya know what .. i think that the deal you struck with the council is awsome ..   8) 8) 8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pigman

That table is beautiful. 8) It is not something that can be bought at a regular furniture store.  I am jealous though. :( You get to work with maple and walnut and for the last three days I have been pulling nails and cleaning the dirt and grit off of old pine flooring boards to make two more tables. At the end of the day I look like I have been working in a coal mine. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

getoverit

Beautiful craftsmanship Darren ! Keep up the good work
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

MemphisLogger

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

sandmar

Gorgeous Daren.It nevers ceases to amaze me at the innovative thinkers we have here on this forum.With your proposal everyone wins,and the logs stay out of the landfill.Nice job!!

Sandmar

sawguy21

Wow That is a beautiful table and with the deal you struck, everybody wins. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Daren, great looking work. Appreciate the photos. Curly sure is mesmorizing to look at polished up.  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fstedy

Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Daren

Glad you guys liked the table, in person it is very sharp. (where is the pat yourself on the back emoticon ?)
The deal with the city/township is not a BIG deal, I live in a village of 1300. There is not a ton of wood/work to be gained, but I was suprised how much interest they took in my conversation with them. If nothing else I will get a little sawing work and some free logs, that is worth a few minutes of talking the talk any day. "The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step"
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Jeff

QuoteGlad you guys liked the table, in person it is very sharp. (where is the pat yourself on the back emoticon ?)

I like this one Darren.  smiley_smug01 The smug smiley. Feel free to use it. You earned it. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

iain

Thank You Sponsors!