iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fresh hickory

Started by Ole Hickory, April 23, 2024, 09:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Hickory

Hello all, new here so be gentle lol I'm located in central North Carolina .
I just cut some pretty big hickory trees on my land and would like to use them as the upper beams on a rustic post beam carport 20 x 24 . Im thinking i could have them cut 4 x 10 and that would be plenty for my rafters to set on . Main question is using them without drying from locals I've gotten mixed reviews on using green hickory can anyone here advise ?  I'm ok with some warping and twisting as long as it's not extreme as I do want it rustic but also want it sound . I will be using metal plates and bolting joints together. I could even go bigger on my beam size if need be if that helps with twisting and warping but I don't want it to dwarf a small cabin it will be beside . Thanks

Southside

So two things come to mind.  First as you said, it's going to move, twist, etc - it's Hickory. My bigger concern however would be the fact that Powder Post Beetles absolutely LOVE Hickory, so you could have a considerable amount of compromise happen as a result.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ole Hickory

thanks for your reply ,  i have had great success with boracare on pine , hoping it will work as well on hickory stopping any boring insect .

Southside

Well, it helps that Powder Post Beetles don't like pine. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!