iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anchor seal or paint

Started by DWM II, May 21, 2007, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWM II

Whats the advantage of anchor seal over other treatments? I just sawed some black walnut and treated the ends of the boards with some latex paint. I'm thinking something is better than nothing, the boards are stored at the time being under roof with no sun contact with a trip to the kiln planned soon. But does Anchor Seal have an advatage? The boards are sawed out random thickness from 4/4 to 8/4 does the anchor seal work for a longer period of time?
Stewardship Counts!

Dan_Shade

anchor seal is good stuff.  way better than paint. 

while we're talking anchor seal, does anybody have the hand held sprayer?

HAND PUMP
#SS6003 Slide Sprayer · $77.00

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Donnie,

I tried latex paint.  Then aluminum roofing paint.  Then anchorseal.  Both the aluminum roofing paint (called Cool Seal at Lowes) , and the anchorseal did a superior job.  The aluminum roofing paint works most excellent, but it is so messy.  The anchorseal costs about twice as much as the aluminum paint, but it so much easier to apply and to clean up afterward.  I like the anchorseal, but the aluminum roofing paint will work if you are on a very tight budget.  Just don't get it on anything (like your clothes because it won't ever wash out, and the brushes you use have to all be trashed).  The anchorseal, while more expensive, was a pleasure to deal with and the results were very good.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

I am extremely resourceful,,..........CHEAP. Some things are worth the money, Anchorseal is one of them.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

Thanks for the reminder.  I need to order another bucket.  I was hoping to see them at the Sawlex show and buy it there, but no luck. :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Brucer

Latex paint doesn't stop moisture from evaporating from the end of the log. Anchor Seal does.

Dan; I bought a cheap garden sprayer instead and it works great. I did make sure it had a brass nozzle. It's useful to carry a short piece of fine stiff wire to poke out any blockages.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

logwalker

I just got done with 120 D.Fir logs in the yard. Used Baileys end seal with my airless paint sprayer and a 4' extension wand. Only took about 1/2 hour to do and used 4 gallons out of the pail. Worked great. I think it is the onlyt way I'lldo it in the future. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Dan_Shade

i couldn't get it to spray through my plastic cheapo sprayer
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Daren

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 22, 2007, 06:19:41 AM
i couldn't get it to spray through my plastic cheapo sprayer

That is what I use. I just hogged out the hole with my pocket knife. I still have to smear it around evenly with a big brush, but it is faster than dipping in the bucket. I was losing more from the bucket to the log with a brush than I was getting on. Any way you put it on Anchor Seal is the way to go though.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

DWM II

Reckon I'll order a bucket from Bailey's then, sound like experince talkin.

Thanks, Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

Ironwood

U.C. Coatings
www.uccoatings.com 716-833-9366, Probably cost the same as Bailey's and suporting FF sponsors is good but worth a check anyway.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!