iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woman needing guidance on clearing land

Started by CLo5280, June 24, 2020, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLo5280

Hi All!

I am new to the forum. Nice to meet you!

I have 6ac of sloped mountain land. A small bunkhouse is smack in the middle of it. 

I have been a city dweller my entire life, and am trying to find my groove as I learn how to care for my land. 

I have a mix of aspen and pine, and typically take a weekend to clear 10ft sections at a time. This includes moving dead trees further down the property, cutting down large branches, etc. I don't know what I am doing, other than having a good time :)

Does anyone have advice on how best to care for sloped mountain land? I don't desire to harvest wood, just want to keep healthy trees alive and clear the land of dead trees to help with fire mitigation.

Thanks so much, have a beautiful day!
CLo

Old Greenhorn

Folks would be able to give you better suggestions if they had an idea of what continent, country, state, or perhaps county you are in. Different things grow differently all over the globe. Without context it is very hard to give you some good ideas. Do you have any equipment to work with? DO you have help? If on the side hill, which way does your property face? This has to do with how things grow and what might grow best. What is the ground like? Everything is relative and everything can make a difference. For instance the term 'sloped' means something very different for a person in Kansas verses upstate NY or Maine. There are a lot of smart and experienced folks here that could advise you, but you need to give them a little more to work with. Help us help you.
Welcome to the forum.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Philbert

Welcome to the site.

To me, 'sloped' raises questions about erosion; the roots of trees, brush, even grass can be what is holding the soil in place.  So 'clearing' might be different than just pruning trees and removing dead stuff.

Most counties have some type of extension service or agent that might be a good place to start.  They might be able to advise you, or recommend someone who can come out and survey / assess your property and offer specific advice, including fire mitigation.

Other than that, the usual caution is about working alone when using chainsaws, etc.  Always good to have someone there to help drag and pile brush, as well as to make a call in an emergency.

Good luck!

Philbert

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum. Whatever I leave in the woods for branches I try to not leave it longer than 2 feet. One reason it will lay on the ground and rot quicker. Other reason I can drive my tractor through it and nothing is really sticking up in the air to damage the under side of my tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

@CLo5280,

Welcome. Need more info to advise. On the dead trees why would they be a fire mitigation issue? Once the dead needles or leaves are gone they aren't much threat for fire. Also many provide great habitat for wildlife. Many green/live trees and brush are a bigger fire threat.

If brush is a problem if you can get a tight fence up and other factors permit, goats are about the world's best lawnmowers. They will pretty much clear everything below the height they can stand on their hind legs. They are not real selective though so don't expect them to leave your fruit trees and such alone. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!