iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Homemade Spare Tire Saw Mill

Started by Doeslyr, February 24, 2020, 06:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doeslyr

She is 21' long 5' wide loud as a EA 6 B Prowler and fast as Carl Lewis. The Power Plant is a Honda GX 610 Twin cyl rolls out 18 hp at start up.. Has no Safety features of course, but it does have a clutch. 

A-z farmer

Welcome to the forestry forum Doeslyr.
Pictures of your mill would be very nice .
It took me a while to learn how to post pictures but Jeff has a tutorial on how to do it .
Zeke 

Doeslyr

Sorry guy's i thought i did send pics. 

Doeslyr

I'm trying to do away with the hard blocks and roll in some Roller Skate wheels. I have 2 on now behind the blade. Just not much room to get much in there.

Weekend_Sawyer

Welcome to the Forum!
Is that a new to you mill?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

thecfarm

You will like sawing. What's the plan for the lumber? Welcome, this is a great place to learn and teach. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

I like it, except for no blade guard- get one of those made, you've got the skills👍
Too many irons in the fire

Doeslyr

I have a two axle trailer fender i plan on cutting dwn to fit. I cut a few boards today with the roller skate wheels for back bearings and none on top or bottom. I had to put on a 14" pulley to pull band had a 10" on and it was scarry fast. 

Doeslyr

Doeslyr

trimguy

Welcome ! I made blade covers out of the sheet metal off the side of an old cook stove and a dryer. 

Doeslyr

I've been trying to come up with a simple dog system i can tighten manually and will stay tight. It has them orange slide clamps, but they won't stay tight. If someone has a simple set up please share. Ha

Doeslyr

Wudman

Here's a shot of the guards that I built for mine.  Started with the fenders cut in half but amended as I didn't care much for that blade staring me in the face.

Ended up re-gearing the saw and wanted something a little safer.  Here is what I came up with:

It was assembled with biscuits and glue.  The entire front hinges up for blade access.  It's enclosed on the back whereas the fenders were open.  Without guards....if you knock a band off (or it walks off) you will have a pretty nasty weapon running down the hill at 55 miles per hour. ;D

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Wudman

Quote from: Doeslyr on February 26, 2020, 07:12:53 AM
I've been trying to come up with a simple dog system i can tighten manually and will stay tight. It has them orange slide clamps, but they won't stay tight. If someone has a simple set up please share. Ha
I'll get a picture of mine.  They will clamp with plenty of power and not slip.
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels

donbj

Quote from: Doeslyr on February 26, 2020, 07:26:19 AMNew blade back rollers. $0 .

I like the price but I don't think you will get much life out of the nylon wheels as rear guides. You will need side guides as well for any irregularities in your blade wheels will be transmitted to your blade and it will rise and fall accordingly. Blade guides stabilize the blade as they are set approx. 1/4" below wheel bottom.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Doeslyr

Quote from: donbj on February 26, 2020, 12:56:00 PM
Quote from: Doeslyr on February 26, 2020, 07:26:19 AMNew blade back rollers. $0 .

I like the price but I don't think you will get much life out of the nylon wheels as rear guides. You will need side guides as well for any irregularities in your blade wheels will be transmitted to your blade and it will rise and fall accordingly. Blade guides stabilize the blade as they are set approx. 1/4" below wheel bottom.
It is vibrating pretty good i can see it from the back. I guess i should get tires balanced.

Wudman

Here is a picture of my clamping system.  The backstops and clamps are on the same axle which pivots in pillow blocks.  There are no adjustments in the backstops.  They are 2x2 heavy box welded solid.  The clamp is a piece if 2 1/2 box that slides on the 2 inch box with 5 thread per inch Acme rod to tighten.  When you put pressure against the clamp it binds and won't move.  It works pretty well
Charlie Daniels

Doeslyr

Quote from: Wudman on February 26, 2020, 10:47:05 AM
Here's a shot of the guards that I built for mine.  Started with the fenders cut in half but amended as I didn't care much for that blade staring me in the face.

Ended up re-gearing the saw and wanted something a little safer.  Here is what I came up with:

It was assembled with biscuits and glue.  The entire front hinges up for blade access.  It's enclosed on the back whereas the fenders were open.  Without guards....if you knock a band off (or it walks off) you will have a pretty nasty weapon running down the hill at 55 miles per hour. ;D

Wudman
That's kewl, looks kinda heavy but kewl. I had a wider band come off front of tires and went about 45-50 yds, hit fence went over it hung metal post and stopped. 

Doeslyr

Quote from: Doeslyr on February 26, 2020, 07:55:24 PM
Quote from: donbj on February 26, 2020, 12:56:00 PM

It is vibrating pretty good i can see it from the back. I guess i should get tires balanced.
The band hardly touches em while cutting actually.

Wudman

Couple of more pictures.......here are my blade guides....a couple of smaller bearings applying the down pressure backed by a larger bearing for rear support.  This is the fixed side on the driven wheel.

This is the movable guide (although I seldom move it).  I use diesel / bar oil mix for my lube.  It just drips onto the blade (top & bottom sides).  I simply inflate and deflate tires to remove band.  As you can see.....I haven't run in a while.  Need to break out the oil can and lube everything up.  Have some logs that need to be sawed so I'll be back at it in the near future.

The old contraption works pretty good.  It serves my purpose.

Wudman

Charlie Daniels

JoshNZ

This is how I made my dogs - if we're calling them the same thing. Copied from someone else here. I ended up shortening the spike and it worked better.

Backstops are just telescopic box held by a threaded handle

Super quick to use and holds really well.

JoshNZ

Forgot to show the bottom they're welded to a tube/sleeve that fits over a length of tube bolted between the bed. Nice thing is you could move the clamp by moving the whole bed tube. They slide easy and when you clamp they bind. Have never had them slip

RAYAR

Quote from: Wudman on February 27, 2020, 09:19:41 AM
.......here are my blade guides....a couple of smaller bearings applying the down pressure backed by a larger bearing for rear support.

Wudman
My mill has a similar set-up, stacked bearings. This seems to be a great set-up, works good.

mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!