iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WHAT DO YOU CHARGE FOR SAWING?

Started by rs1626, April 24, 2004, 02:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Hi everyone, when you take a job sawing is it a handshake to seal the deal or do you have reciept book at the beginning or end of the job? also what about the slabs ? can the sawyer always keep the slabs unless the owner of the logs says different or should that all be in writing before the job begins? thanks ! I think that if I ask about the slabs then the owner of the logs will want them for sure , I burn wood !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

So far all my jobs are on handshakes.  I appear, saw the wood that has been prepared (he provides labor) then I count up the good lumber I produced, get paid and leave.  I do leave him  with a receipt.  It is more professional.  You can get receipt books at office equipment stores for very little.  Keeping the carbon copies helps you to keep up with the jobs and the customers names and stuff too.  In time you will be glad that you created the history.  Don't use those little rough paper ones like the resturants use, get a pretty, big one.  That gives you room to write all kinds of neat stuff on your copy when you leave.  Sometimes it's nice to have a record of family names, or specifics about the job that might make him feel more special when you talk to him 2 years from now.

I think you might be missing a bet on the slabs.  Don't let on like you want them. If you price your job at 15 cents a board foot, for example, then say 16 cents a board foot and I remove the slabs.  That price would be almost impossible to turn down.  If you sawed a thousand BF that day, you just got $10 more for gas. :)

arj

I get 35 cents a bd.ft. of cut lumber. If the logs are small, short, crooked, or over 32 inches I charge by the hour. $32.50. I get to keep the slabs, I`d rather not, I also burn wood , but get over run.

ARKANSAWYER

I get $0.20 bdft or $40 an hour to saw.  $10 to show up local plus more for long trips and $10 to move once there.  $20 for blades ruined on junk in logs and $0.03 more if I sticker the lumber.  My contract states I get paid for all lumber sawn.  Crapy logs make crapy lumber but it all cost the same.  If I saw a log that is 8 ft long but hollow for most of the butt I charge as if every board is 8 ft long.  Knowing this most will buck off the crap and I do not have to mess with it.  If a log is bad and I saw it up after warning them I get paid the same as if it was all FAS.  If the bulk of the logs are under 10 inches then I just saw by the hour.
  I know that I can saw 200 to 250 bdft an hour so if their logs keep me from doing it, that is where the hour rate comes from.
  I saw full time and do about 300,000 bdft a year and have to keep track of these things.  I have tickets printed up so as I look professinable as possible.

Like Tom I keep a record of folks and sawing done.  I have a note book in the truck that I keep stuff in.  It makes folks feel good that you remember their dogs name or some other tid bit of info.
  As for sawing larger stuff there is the handling of it and  often more waste since you are after a target board then what the log can best produce.  I have made 4 cuts to get a 4x10 from a log that would have squared up to 12 x 12 and have some heavy slabs.  But that is all they wanted. ???
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Fla._Deadheader

Not being familiar with the Scribner scale, we use the International ¼" kerf scale. It gives a tad more footage than the Doyle.

Yesterday we sawed 4 Cypress logs. Ed scaled them, for fun, and came up with 420 feet. After sawing, we ended up with 523 feet. Probably had 60 feet of bad stuff, (holes with mud and roots, pieces of Pecky breaking off the sides of boards, short pieces), so we still got 20% over-run.

100 bd/ft at .20 still equals $20.00 ??? That's $200.00 /Mbdft.

Still can't see Kevins way as making the full amount of coin for the days sawing, unless the Scribner allows for thin kerf ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

FeltzE

We cut for .175 /bd ft or $40/hr. I get $20 per blade damaged for tramp metal and have a $100 minimum for on site sawing these days. Some of our neighboring saws are sawing for .15/ft so it's hard to get the price up like in other areas.

We lost our ability to advertise in the local state run ag paper so we have had a down turn in sawing this past year. But it's ok as my full time job has kept me busy.

We tally at the end of the job 4/4 and under qualifies as 1 inch for the tally everything else tallys actual thickness, 5/4 for example counts as 1.25 /sq ft. All lumber cut is tallied except flitch and stickers I will run stickers for free out of their flitch and take time to explain how to and not to stack lumber for proper drying.

Eric

Tom

Good man, Eric.  That's good prices, good approaches and bless you for thinking of your customers.  That kind of attention to customers is worth a lot more than your ag paper.  ;D

Kevin_H.

harold, the International and Scribner run pretty close together...Depending on the log size like a 20" log 8' long will scale 135 on the international and 140 on the scribner.

That same 20" log but 16' long will scale 290 on international but only 280 on scribner. Seems like the two scales will cross each other depending on the size and length on the log.

We saw on average about 1000 bf  a day when we do a custom job, so if we have a 20% over run we are giving away 20 bucks on the job. But if you through a couple of crooked logs on the saw and they produce under scale because of the bend they have, we still make scale.

Another bonus is not have to argue with the customer about weither or not the board is "usable" They know that if the boards fall apart as they come off the saw, we still charge scale.

If we dont get blown away tonite we have a small saw job tomorrow, we will run the #'s bolth ways and see what we come up with.

I'm all for making more money ;D

On another note, how do the rest of you charge for damaged blades? Do you charge the $ for the damaged blades if you hit any metal or do you only charge if you think the band is too far damaged to be resharpened and set again?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Tom

I don't charge for 'wear and tear", Kevin.  I charge for the blade if something in the log damages it.  I tell the customer $20 per damaged blade.  I'll try to continue using the blade if I can and If he agrees so as to not charge another $20 against the same blade.

I may forgive all or part of the blade damage debt at the end of the job.  Sometimes I'll ruin one blade and end up sawing 20 or 30 thousand feet for the man.  That kinda makes it nit-picking I think.  I'll still put it on the bill and show the discount down to $5 or zero.  That way it at least gets some advertising mileage.

Minnesota_boy

Yesterday I sawed a white spruce log, 16 feet long and 21 inches at the top end.  International 1/4" scaled it at 290 bd-ft and Scribner scaled it at 300.  I counted the boards it produced (all 2 inch) and they scaled at 400 bd-ft.  I could have gotten a couple more 8' long inch boards, but they would have been of low quality so I just slabbed a little heavy.

These spruce were cut just over a year ago and have been in a stack since then.  They are so tough that I have trouble sawing more than one log per blade and sometimes I have to change blades in the middle of the log.  I wish I could have just said NO! but it's for a close neighbor.  Even with a freshly sharpened blade, the opening cut will usually have some waves as the blade hits the tough knots.  :(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Oregon_Sawyer

I cut mostly softwoods.  We scale Schribner for logs around this area.

I charge $100 move-in.  $20 for tramp metal.  2 in or bigger material is quote at .24 bd ft.  I give a .02 discount for 5,000 and another .02 if the job is over 10,000.

Small logs, special cuts, Oversize logs and small quantitys of hardwood at $70.00 hr.

The job I am doing next weekend my son will go with me but I won't charge extra for him.  ( Usually I would)

If they bring the logs to me I am charging .20 bd ft.

If someone wants to do it cheaper they usually know what their work is worth.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Nose_Full_of_Dust

Here in West "By God" Virginia, we are charging .18 per BF with a min of 1000 bf. Typically, our jobs are 3,000 to 12,000 BF and the 1,000 is of little concern.  We also charge for any blade that is ruined due to imbedded metal (hence, a nice ole nail.)  If we cannot resharpen the blade, the Customer buys it for $23.00, unless it just received its last sharpening. We then "through in" the free blade and thank the customer for the work.
  We also scale our logs and DO NOT waste our time counting boards, etc...  Way to much time invloved and since we scale, the Customer usually ends up with more lumber than we charge.  If we have a customer that thinks we are tricking him into paying more than he should, we go to the lumber pile and count the whole stack, recalculate the charge per BF and then ask which he would prefer to pay????  Obviously, our scaled charge then becomes a real value.
  Lastly, we do not vary our pricing for 4/4, 6/4, 8/4, or even 16/4 or 32/4.  The price is the same since the set up is still the same, the work gets heavier, etc...  It's just the way we do it and very rarely have an issue with the customer.  We just finished a 13,000 bf job that was nearly all 16/4 to 32/4 in 12 to 18 foot lengths for a new post and beam house. The customer was ultra happy since we went the extra mile to assure squareness and extra beauty in the lumber produced.  The check cleared the bank without any problems and the customer wants us to come back and see the finished house. .18 for a bf at any width works for us.
Slider Mills helping everyone in WV build their dreams.

Norwiscutter

I am just starting up here and figure that .30 B/F is a fair rate for me and my customers.  Already am loaded with logs without enough time to cut em.  

What about when you sell lumber for retail. Do you all generally just figure in your milling rate with what you pay the logger, or do you grade, seperate, KD and charge accordingly?  

Eric, wish everyday that I was still living down by you.  Miss the weather.  ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Tobacco Plug

I give potential customers a flyer with the following on it for their information and to prevent any misunderstandings.  Sometimes I wonder if it frightens off customers, though.

LEWIS C. LAWRENCE
ON-SITE CUSTOM SAWMILL
PO BOX
SANFORD, NC 27330
(919) xxx-xxxx

GENERAL INFORMATION, TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1.      Fee for sawing most lumber is $180 per thousand board feet, based on lumber actually sawn, not what the log scales.  A board foot equals 1 inch X 1 inch X 1 foot.  If boards less than 1 inch thick are requested, they still count as 1 inch.  Lumber yield is typically 1¼ times typical estimated log rule or log scale.
2.      An hourly rate of $38.00 is charged for sawing short logs (less than 10 feet), very small logs (less than 8 inch diameter at small end), re-sawing boards or cants, quartersawing lumber, or other difficult sawing situations.
3.      A travel fee may be charged if logs are more than 30 miles from Sanford, NC.
4.      The wood owner must provide at least one worker (two if logs are very large) to remove slabs, off-bear lumber from sawmill, and help move logs.  If wood owner does not provide worker, fee for sawing is $48.00 per hour.
5.      Minimum charge is $100.00.
6.      Logs must be free from nails or other hardware.  A charge of $ 25.00 per occurrence will be assessed for striking foreign objects.
7.      The sawmill will cut logs from 3 to 21 feet in length.
8.      Drug or alcohol use by persons involved with the operation will not be permitted.
9.      The wood owner is responsible for all persons in the immediate area of the sawing operation.  The wood owner is also responsible for supplying safety equipment for himself and his workers.  Hearing protection is recommended.
10.      Please stack your logs in one pile.  A charge of $25.00 will be assessed each time the sawmill is moved after the initial setup.
11.      The sawing location should be relatively flat and in an accessible area with enough cleared space to allow for easy movement of the sawmill and logs.  Logs must be piled in such a manner to allow easy rolling of logs right onto sawmill; otherwise, hourly rate applies.
12.      Lumber shall be stacked close by the sawmill to speed off bearing; otherwise, hourly rate applies.

Now, having given the customer this flyer, I let him know that a a couple of small logs will not disqualify him from the 18 cent rate. I list that requirement to stop people who have a pile of pine bolts eight feet long and six or eight inches on the small end (but no larger!) who say that they want me to cut a 2X4 out of it for a stud.  I can't make a profit on those logs  if I charge by the board foot.  I usually don't charge the travel fee, but with the recent jump in the price of gasoline, I may have to.  My charge for hitting tramp metal is based on the fact that even if it doesn't completely ruin a blade, I still must stop sawing and change it, often with great difficulty when the blade is stuck in the log.  However, if I saw a whack of lumber for a man and have hit only one nail, I will not make the charge for this.  If the customer has at least 500 board feet of logs in another location than the main pile, I will not charge the mill relocation fee.  Again, this is just to keep my good nature from being taken advantage of.  Some people will have a couple of logs here and a couple of logs there and want you to set up for each little pile.  Usually customers get enough stickers from the edgings, but I don't mind cutting some at no charge if I think the request is reasonable (say 20-30 minutes maximum of lost time).  As for slabs, I have always operated with the idea that all of the wood products belong to the customer.  Often I will ask what the customer's plans are for the slabs and he will give them to me, though.  I try to see the logs and sawing site before I commit to a job.  At this time I mention to the customer about how to properly stack and air dry lumber.  If they don't know how they will appreciate the information and if they do, they will tell you so.

Above all,  I let the customer know that I want to be fair to him but also to me and that I want him happy so he will tell his friends and/or call me back for more work.  
 ;)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Tobacco Plug

Hey Arkansawyer, I like your form's layout, but couldn't read the column titles.  Any chance you could post a larger view?
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Preston

Well we charge  them by the bd. ft. and what ever we get out of the log is what we charge we scale it in the lumber not in the log! We also tell them it will be extra and may they might have to buy a band if we hit any hardware! We charge .30 a bd.ft.
Preston

Thank You Sponsors!