iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodpeckers & sap?

Started by Ironmower, March 09, 2009, 06:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironmower

Noticed yesterday mornin' this little woodpecker (not sure what kind :P) on my maple. IT was workin' hard on 4 or 5 small holes. I thought it was going after some bugs, but as I watched it would peck alittle then drink alittle. Quite amazed how it would watch the sap beed up, then drink. I'm no expert, but I do like watchin' these little critters. Any of you fine people every see this or know why? ???   I was thinkin' maybe there is some minerials or its just "sweet" ::)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Onthesauk

Actually think that a lot of the "woodpeckers" that people see are really "sapsuckers."  We've got both in our area.

A couple of years ago I was up cutting brush and ran into a sapsucker working on a willow.  He would tap away for a minute or two and then suck the sap up.  After a few minutes of this he would fly off a couple of feet and watch as a hummingbird would fly in and drink his fill.  I think I watched them switch back and forth for half an hour.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Mike_Barcaskey

sapsuckers are woodpesckers. what you saw was probably a yellow-bellied sapsucker.  They will peck holes, usually 4 or 5 in a horizontal line, and lap up the sap.
perfer maple, but will hit lots of species
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

ErikC

They really go after fruit trees around here. All of them are totally riddled with little holes by the time they get big. I would think it was hard on the trees, but they seem to survive it fine somehow. They are pretty active little guys, fun to watch around the yard.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Sunfield Hardwood

I do alot of bowhunting from treestands and have seen many times where sapsuckers or woodpeckers have made small "wells" on the top of tree limbs by chiseling out little areas to collect sap and bugs I suppose. I've seen several in a row, some old and some fresh. Mostly maples I think.
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

Mike_Barcaskey

if it is on top of the limb, it is probably squirrels
I've seen sugar maples where the bark on the top of the limb was chewed completely off over the years by squirrels
sapsuckers work on the verticle
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

tyb525

I think sapsuckers are where "birdpeck" figure come from. I don't know if that is really the cause though.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

Them darn sapsuckers are as thick as robins around here. Four, I say 4 all at once per tree pecking away. I need a shot gun to protect my yard trees. Darn buzzards.  :D :D :D Anyone that thinks them things don't kill or ruin trees aren't infested with them.  :-X sling_shot

Quote from: Ironmower on March 09, 2009, 06:32:01 AM
Quite amazed how it would watch the sap beed up, then drink. I'm no expert, but I do like watchin' these little critters. Any of you fine people every see this or know why? ???   I was thinkin' maybe there is some minerials or its just "sweet" ::)

Not only that, but bugs come to take advantage of the sap and provide a bonus meal to the sapsucker. ;) Anyone for roasted sapsucker? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

It's now 10:30 am and that little bugger is still picking.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ely

alot of those sapsuckers and woodpeckers around my yard seem to explode in a puff of feathers, not cetain what causes that as of yet but it does seem to coincide with a sharp crack of noise.

SwampDonkey

It's now 3:30 pm and he's still at that pine.  >:(

SwampDonkey

I think he got a taste of hot chilli powder in veggie oil this morning.  I don't know where that came from. I seen some awful head shaking going on. :D :D :D

WDH

At least he did not explode in a burst of feathers.  Maybe he is not a Mexican bird and will move on  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I think I jammed his radar, because he went head on into the picture window. :D :D

tyb525

They might be the cause of this...

Yellow Poplar

I have quite a few good sized yellow poplars with holes all over them, it's pretty tempting to cut them to see if they have the same figure inside.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Sprucegum

8) I didn't see him but I suspect a larger woodpecker was tapping here

Thank You Sponsors!