iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stop BMS250 mist

Started by MattM, January 29, 2023, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattM

Thought I'd make a new topic to show what I've done to stop 100% of the oil mist from my bms250 sharpener while retaining all of the oil and keeping it inside the machine. Its not pretty (it could be with some effort) but it works.

The first thing I did was flip the exhaust pipe on the top of the machine over so that it's going into the machine. 
I then hose clamped some red scotchbrite to the bottom of the exhaust pipe. I then filled the pipe with steel wool.

The scotchbrite acts as a prefilter and the steel wool catches whatever the scotchbrite misses. After enough oil build up it will drip back down into the machine.

I then made a adapter out of some scrap wood to attach a 4inch 100cfm duct fan to the top of the exhaust to suck the mist into the steel wool.

This stopped alot of the mist but not all.
The next thing I did was something I saw here on the forum. I bolted 4 3inch paint brushes to block the openings the blade runs through. This not only stops mist escaping but also scrapes extra oil off the band as it leaves the machine.

The last this I did was make two side covers to close up the big holes on either side of the machine. I used some scrape I had lying around, which is why it's green, and I drilled and tapped holes to mount it. Both covers are identical. On the control box side I added some washers to space the control box further out to make room.

Now I get no oil mist at all from the machine. The fan is able to pull enough air that mist cannot escape the holes under the machine and the oil drawer area.

When it warms up in a few months I might try to pretty it up a little by mounting the fan nicer and painting the side covers..... Or not....  :)
LT35HDG25

Crossroads

Looks good, thanks for sharing 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Nealm66

Really appreciate this, thank you!

Thank You Sponsors!