iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Greenhorn's initial sawing season 2019-20

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 06, 2019, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I might be able to help you on the catchment part. All hardware stores need an Old Guy so the Old Guys can explain what they want and the Old Guy can find it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: thecfarm on May 14, 2020, 06:29:56 AM
I might be able to help you on the catchment part. All hardware stores need an Old Guy so the Old Guys can explain what they want and the Old Guy can find it.
Oh this is very true! It seems you can never find (another) old guy when you need one! ;D
 I just went out and checked on the internet and they are still made and available. My son is going to check his local building supply because I would rather buy local. If he can't pick one up there I will order it on fleabay.
 The small pleasures.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: thecfarm on May 14, 2020, 06:29:56 AM
After I posted above I was catching up on reading the rest of the new posts and came back across this one. It reminded me of a few years back (15?) when I was working on something and the right material for whatever I was doing was oakum. For the life of me, I can't remember the job, but I do remember that oakum was what would be the best and proper solution. So I was in the big box store for other stuff and figured I would just take a stab and see if they still sold it. So I am looking up and down the shelves in the plumbing section and this young fella (about 25 y/o) in a spiffy store vest that walks up and cheerfully says " Can I help you find something today sir?" I looked up, smiled and said "I doubt it, but what the heck, do you folks have any oakum?". Of course I got back the puzzled look and he started to ask what I needed it for, what does it do, etc. I just said, it's something old craftsman use and I really don't have time to give you a lesson on it right now.' Well there was an old guy in a worn vest just down the aisle, he comes limping over and steps between the young guy and me, effectively removing him from the conversation in a semi-polite way. He says "He doesn't know what that is, but I will explain it to him later. No we don't sell that stuff, nowadays they sell all the chemical plastic crap that is supposed to be better but is not near as good. You need the right stuff." He smiles, leans in, and directs me to an old plumber with a shop on the other side of town. "You have to call him first to make sure he is there and not out on a job, but he will sell you what you need." Then he winks.
 The young fella had no idea what we were talking about. I thanked them and walked away and as I was leaving I heard the old guy starting a teaching session. :D
 Did you ever try to go in an auto parts store and tell them "I need a straight muffler, about 18" long with a 2" inlet and a 2-1/2" outlet" ? All they know is 'make, model, and year'.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 14, 2020, 07:50:18 AMAll they know is 'make, model, and year'
I go looking for parts for my Davis Little Monster (1965) and I get that question all the time.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

After yesterday fighting with those pillow block alignments for the band wheels I kind of had to have a talk with myself to get back on it this morning. It was cool and the mill head is in the morning shade, so even cooler. I waited until 9am then waded into it, getting the tools and bolts I thought I would need. It took about an hour to get the set bolts into the welded nuts and ready for adjustment. Too short, had to do it over again with longer bolts. Looked to me like they had never been in there at all, I wound up pretty much taking it all apart and running a tap through the nuts to clean out all the gunk, but I finally got it right even though adjustments are difficult because of the surrounding weldment parts.
I tried the string alignment method and got the wheels pretty close then got everything a bit more than finger tight so it would still slide. I put a new blade on, man those 4° are a lot thicker than I am used to. Anyway, got it on and made the band just tight, not loaded. rolled it over by hand and the tracking was not good at all. Dead center on one wheel and half off the other. SO I start skewing the idler wheel the way I thought it should go and it got a whole lot worse, so I went in a direction counter to my intuition and it centered back up. I tweaked some more (wow, it is a sensitive alignment) finally just moving the screw about an 8th of a turn or less each time until the blade ran even on both wheels. I tightened up the pillow blocks, tensioned the blade and hand rolled it for a half dozen turns to be sure. If I had not put those bank/adjusting screws in there to give me a reliable adjustment I would still be out there with terrible results, like chasing a ghost. The bolts make it a LOT easier to control. Why they were missing or removed, I will never know.
I put all the guards on, fired it up and let the blade and new belt run in at about half throttle for about ten minutes. It was about 2pm by this point and I didn't have time, energy, or a plan to throw up a log. So I grabbed a thick ash slab and put that up and cut about 2" off the top x 8' long. The cut went smooth with no grabbing, no bucking and is FLAT with a much better finish! I also edged up some red oak for a table idea I am starting on.
Then I had this table/bench thing I made on a whim when I tried freehanded CSM a week or so ago. I put the other 2 legs on it, then used a hand truck to wrangle it over to the mill and with much effort, I got the thing and and positioned and clamped then I saw that one leg was not screwed home properly and had to remove it and fix it. Then I saw that there was no way the legs would fit between my guides. I was pretty full up with road blocks today and losing patience. This thing is a beast.

So I pulled it back off and got the hand truck under it again. No way to push this through the sawdust so I had to pull it and about halfway to where I was going I stepped on a rock that rolled under my foot and down I went pulling the hand truck and the 200# monster table up over my feet. I landed on a piece of the chunk I had cut out for the leg notches in this table/bench/thing and it stuck right in my cocyx carrying my body's impact. Lets just say I laid there for a minute figuring out what happened and how bad I messed up. Finally I moved and bit and except for feeling like somebody tried to get me on a bull with a broom handle for a saddle, I didn't feel all that bad, nothing was broken or leaking that I could see. So I got this thing off of me and crawled up to my feet. Yeah, my tailbone hurt pretty good, but everything else worked, so I righted the hand truck and pulled it over where I was going. Got the truck out of the way and when I pulled the table/bench/thing over to stand it up one of the legs caught me in the shim. Now if it was a normal table/bench/thin it would be a big deal, but this thing has mass and it again got me pretty good. So now I am limping and have a big pain in the a__. But I could not re-cut the top on this thing flat in the mill and the legs are sticking up above the top surface. SO I figured I would just CSM the top flat. What could go wrong? ;D SO I got out the long bar saw and leveled the top as best I could. It came out fair, for free hand and given that I was taking off a thin shim rather than a board. (note to self; don't do that again, take at least 1") When I got down I decided I had had it for the day. I went in and got a beer and spent a half hour putting away tools.

So the mill is in better shape now, that bench is finished and out of the way and I have no idea what to do with it, but I feel like I didn't get much done today either and now I am hurting pretty good. Almost glad we have rain coming in tomorrow and I have an off day where we will run up to harbor freight for some 'stuff' and stop at the big box stores near home looking for a better doorknob. Hopefully I'll feel better in the morning.
In other news, one of our cats has discovered the screen door and is getting used to it, slowly and with caution. The other cat is still clueless.

My son found one of those catchments in a good old fashioned local hardware store, so that too is on my list for tomorrow.

Nebraska

Ouch, be careful out there, better weather coming your way.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah they say we could get some pretty severe stuff this evening so I am keeping an eye on it. Pretty sore and slow moving this morning. I have to be very careful how I get into and out of a chair. Guess I whacked myself pretty good.
 Well off to Harbor freight.

doc henderson

well at least with you walking slower, no one will question your senior discount.  enjoy the rest of you vacation...  until you retire.  best regards.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ManjiSann

OG, I enjoy your posts! They are like positive peer pressure to get things done and not just sit around wishing things were getting done :D 

Congrats and good luck on the retirement!

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

SawyerTed

Brother you gotta be careful!  Please take care of yourself so you can enjoy retirement.  My younger self still thinks I can do things like I did 25 years ago.  My older self has to step in and stop the testosterone charged younger self from hurting the old guy.  

As you know the number one safety thing is housekeeping around the mill. It is those little chucks of bark, sticks and cut offs that hide on the ground that kill my ankles and back.

Tuesday and Wednesday I was on a portable job, there were several inexperienced helpers there.  I asked them several times to help me pick up the junk on the ground. It wasn't until one of them tweaked an ankle that it got important.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, of course you are right Ted. It probably was not a rock that rolled my ankle, but one of the 4 slugs I cut out of the log and yes, I should have cleaned them up. I done it to myself, most likely. Man, I been hurtin' all day and sitting down is the worst, very hard to find a comfortable position, etc. I didn't get a lot done today, just changed the door knob, added the catchment on the screen door, and messed with the stuff we bought at harbor freight. I am calling today an off day. I even sat in a chair in the yard and enjoyed the sun for a little while. It got over 70 today for the first time ALL year! But this too shall pass and yeah I have to be more careful. I am pretty much a neatness nut most of the time in that I like tools cleaned up and put away and not having any junk laying in the way. Sometimes I really get on my son and his guys for not moving things out of the way in the shop when they are done for the day. I hate trip hazards.
 By the way, I really like your new avatar, and have been trying to find a way to mention it since you made the change, but I always seem to fumble things like that. Just wanted to say that is a mighty good lookin' gal you are hanging out with. I hope that doesn't rub somebody the wrong way.

SawyerTed

Yep she is a gem in many ways!  My best friend and partner in crime!  I believe seeing a pretty woman is like watching a gorgeous sunrise, sunset, looking at the ocean or mountains.  God made them all to be admired.  It's just when when someone's mind goes beyond that it all goes wrong.  

So one gentleman to another, you were quite appropriate in your complement.  Thank you!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

Reny's. ?? There slogan is, Reny's, a Maine adventure. But they probably have the name brand ones too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SawyerTed on May 15, 2020, 06:38:08 PMSo one gentleman to another, you were quite appropriate in your complement.  Thank you!
As intended. I looked at that photo and thought now THERE'S a happy man with a happy woman. And I thought you were were a lucky guy.
 I once 'tried to compliment' a young woman who I admire very much along with her husband for their musical skills as well as the job they do as parents. She was going on stage at the moment and asked if she looked OK, I just replied with a big smile "You are one handsome looking woman!" She shot me a look and asked "what the h**l is that supposed to mean? I look like a man?"and I just mumbled that she looked great is all and felt like a jerk... for a long time. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt her feelings, and ever since then I have been a bit shy about any compliments that go beyond 'nice job'.
 Thecfarm, I assume your comment was about my inquiry on the other thread? I checked your lead out, but it appears they don't sell hats. They did have a good deal on men's briefs though. ;D

thecfarm

The one about Reny's?  I wondered what happened to that reply. Wrong thread,but you got it.   ;D  

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: thecfarm on May 16, 2020, 06:51:23 AM
The one about Reny's?  I wondered what happened to that reply. Wrong thread,but you got it.   ;D  
Yeah, I figured it out. I guess I know how you think. :D
 There is a place in Vermont that has them with free shipping if you buy 3 or more, but I am not sure I am ready for that kind of commitment. ;D

Old Greenhorn

Well, I am keeping my promise and closing this thread out. I have started a new one in the General board called Staying Busy and Out of trouble... So those who would care to can read about the dumb things I do to keep my mind busy, hurt myself in new ways, or whatever. See you over there.
 It's been an interesting year, and with the changes in my life, I am looking forward to seeing what the next one brings.

Thank You Sponsors!