iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Not Sawing 2019

Started by YellowHammer, June 19, 2019, 10:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

We all talk about what we are sawing, but sometimes it's time to take a break and talk about what we do when we aren't sawing.  Like many people on the Forum, we work our tails off, but we sometimes it's just time to turn the mill off and do something else.

So this weekend, we are closed, and are going to the lake.  We own a partial share in a lakefront cabin at Lewis Smith Lake in Alabama, home of big stripers and spotted bass.  Both take big big shiners and bream, and I thought it was humorous getting the kinks out of the minnow bucket lines on our bass boat and setting our gate sign in the boat so we wouldn't forget to put it up as we head out.   

Some people probably don't know this, but I'm an avid (rabid?) fisherman, and own several boats, so I can fish both freshwater and offshore.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Very nice!!!  Now that boat is a spin on the old "all hat and no cattle" saying - looks to be "all engine and no hull"!!  That have a hydrofoil under it?  :o  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

They will be lined up at the gate :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I unloaded my work truck yesterday.

And stacked it all in the corner of the garage.  Getting ready for traveling.  move_it

No more sawing until....well I get ready to saw again. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Magicman, that's what I'm talking about.   8)  

@Southside 

Thats funny you should mention that, and you're not far from the truth.  Actually here's what the whole boat looks like, just shy of 19 feet.  Its a Ranger Z518 Commanche 50th Anniversary Edition (go big or go home) and besides being rigged with every option Ranger offers, including two Lowrance Carbon sidescan units networked together which gives almost photographic detail of what's around me, including out to 100 feet to the side, its also rigged with a 200 hp Merc XPS, when the standard Ranger 518 comes max rigged with a 150 hp outboard.  So when I step on the gas, better hold on to your teeth.  Maxed out, it runs in the mid 70's but my eyes begin to water at about 50 mph, so that's where I run most of the time.

The technology on these boats and motors is incredible, for example, the outboard is wireless Bluetooth enabled and besides sending all operating parameters to my phone, it uses that connectivity to transmit all engine error codes and service information, directly to my local dealer.  So my service shop always knows the health of my engine.

For example, the service manager had a pop on his computer screen because a customer's engine was running hot, and for some reason he didn't noticing the overtemp alarm.  So the service manager, from his desk, called up the customer, who was on the lake fishing, and had the guy trim up the lower unit, where they found part of a plastic bag hung on the water intake, which the customer removed, and went back to fishing.

Wouldn't it be nice if some of that technology was in our sawmills and kilns?  No more explaining the problems to the manufacturer, they would know real time when things aren't working properly.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 20, 2019, 08:10:51 AMWouldn't it be nice if some of that technology was in our sawmills and kilns?  No more explaining the problems to the manufacturer

Lets just start with no more explaining how the platform is supposed to work.... 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

But your only open one day a week, smiley_headscratch
Have fun.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

I think I saw that boat on the lot at War Eagle boats in Opelika. :D Let me know if you need help getting it broken in.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hacknchop

Enjoy your free time boys,Rhonda and I own and operate a small Bait and Tackle shop so if you were a little closer I could fill that minnow bucket, but other than lake Huron I don't think there is a puddle big enough to run that boat at anything above an idle, the bigger boats here have 90 hp and thats to big .
Often wrong never indoubt

Southside

This is what I heard,  @YellowHammer  "It's got a cop motor, cop suspension, cop shocks..."  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 20, 2019, 12:39:28 PM
But your only open one day a week, smiley_headscratch
Have fun.
We are only open for public sales one day a week, and have such a strong customer base that it takes all week to replace what we sell on Saturday.  We also take appointments during the week, and had several sales today.

We work 7 days a week at our home business, I run the mill most every day but Saturday, when we are open to public sales, and my wife also works a 40 hour job in addition to this.  We produce enough kiln dried S2S wood during the week to supply about 100 to 150 customers per week, and from log to lumber handle each board about 6 times.  I do all the trucking, log buying, hauling logs, most of the milling, delivering lumber, run three kilns, straight-line and hand trim all our final lumber. etc.  The only other 2 employees we have only work on Saturday, and all he does is stick and unstick the lumber we produce during the week, which takes about 8 hours, and she helps run the cash register.  I can't find good part time help, so during the week, I work alone.  When my wife gets home from her job, we go at it until dark, whenever that is.  Most operations like ours have full time employees, but I can't find one worth keeping.  We're pooped.  When I read this, it sounds stupid. :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

btulloh

Sounds like you could use a couple days off.     smiley_thumbsup

fishin-smiley
HM126

Peter Drouin

No wonder you have money coming out of your ears, You have to sub out stuff like trucking first.  And no delivering, Cuts into the time sawing. and all the other stuff your doing. 
When you can't find help sub out some work.
It is hard to find good subs. Took me a while to find them. Hardwood softwood is all the same in that we want the best logs out there. To have the best lumber.
I have truckers go to a lot of landing and see what there. When they see logs I would love to have I get them. I pay a little more for them, But I get want I want.
For me. I give up a little $$ to have the best logs and [MY TIME]
Like now I'm looking for a sawer. I'm going to put him or her on the mill while I take care of customers. My lumber is not just 8' Goes out to 40' I'm moving tonnage over here. And with Ann gone my work is 2x of what it was.
You have a standup business. But at the speed you going you won't last.
I have a lot of respect for you. You're a smart guy and hard working. 

We all run our business the way we want, I do wish you two the best of luck and health.

P.S  Spend all the time you can with your wife, [Not working] just having fun. 
When she's gone all that you have won't mean a hill of beans to you.  
I know.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: hacknchop on June 20, 2019, 04:50:08 PMEnjoy your free time boys,Rhonda and I own and operate a small Bait and Tackle shop so if you were a little closer I could fill that minnow bucket, but other than lake Huron I don't think there is a puddle big enough to run that boat at anything above an idle, the bigger boats here have 90 hp and thats to big .
Is that the one named "Hacknchop's Bait Shop and Sushi Bar"? :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

Quote from: hacknchop on June 20, 2019, 04:50:08 PM
Enjoy your free time boys,Rhonda and I own and operate a small Bait and Tackle shop so if you were a little closer I could fill that minnow bucket, but other than lake Huron I don't think there is a puddle big enough to run that boat at anything above an idle, the bigger boats here have 90 hp and thats to big .
I appreciate it, we have some great fishing and decent sized lakes in this area, the lake I'm going to today, Smith Lake is about 35 miles long and has about 500 miles of shoreline and is known for spotted bass and stripers.  Guntersville Lake is famous for its excellent largemouth population (the BASS Elite Series guys are fishing it this week, so I stayed away from the crowds), and Wheeler Lake, known for excellent smallmouth, are about the same size and best described as "sprawling" impoundments.
YellowHammerisms:

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Crusarius

I wasn't planning on doing any sawing but I am pretty sure I sawed a few teeth off the front ring and pinion. At least it was fun :)

Thank You Sponsors!