iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling For Future. Not Sure of Needed Size

Started by catvet, June 15, 2008, 05:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catvet

It's been a while since I've visited the forum.  Glad to see it's still going strong.  I've had a Timberking 1220 for 2+ years now.  Using it for personal stuff.  We've milled all the lumber for two barns and some maple for various projects.  I've owned a nice parcel here in Vermont with a lot of mature pine, maple, and hemlock.  It's now gotten to the point that we need to sell the parcel due to various financial considerations. 

I hope to take down some trees before the sale.  Nothing like clear cutting just a tree here and there probably a total of 20-30 trees.  Some pine, hemlock, cherry and maple.  I don't have an immediate use for the trees but figure I won't have the chance again to get nice logs for just my labor. 

What would be the best way to keep this wood?  I don't know what dimension I want it and also it will be awhile (possibly years) before I use the product. 

My thought was to mill them into 12 x 12 or whatever I can move and then resaw them in the future.  That way I figure I get the bark off,  get the tree to a more uniform size and allow it to start drying a bit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Should I treat different species differently?

Anyone want to buy 57 acres in Vermont?
Catvet

Northern Vermont

gizmodust

Possibly 4X and 6X.  Easier to handle and better drying possibly  ;).  I sure would like to, but my other half's giving me that look.  And you know what that means............ :-\
Always liked wood with alot of character

catvet

Gizmodust,

Thanks for the reply.  Good point about drying.  I'll probably end up with several different sizes and I agree 4x and 6x are good choices.  Depending how much I manage to mill might go larger with the idea of some timberframing in the future.

I know what you mean about wife looks.  I guess in retrospect I should have heeded that look for the property.
Catvet

Northern Vermont

bandmiller2

Catvet,its one of the basic laws of milling whatever you cut you will need something different.I would cut most of the pine to boards,spruce and hemlock to framing ,maple to whatever you plan on doing.Dried outside then stored under cover.The pine if cut during warm weather will likely blue stain.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Captain

YES (on the 57 acres)  I'm going to be back there someday...

Captain

DanG

What a rare and wonderful opportunity to cut up some logs into exactly what they want to be! 8)  Just read every log closely and be ready to take the best it has to offer.  Working this way, you should come out with a nice mix of different sizes, and many pieces will suggest an appropriate project as they come off the saw.  Good luck.  Have fun!! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Toolman

A buddy of mine sold his 12 acre farmette a few years back. He had beautiful poplar on property, probably 200 plus trees.
He downed fifteen of em. I sawed them into 16x16 cants 12' long. Hauled them to his new place. They are still stacked in his barn to this day. They are ready for resaw for future projects.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

catvet

Thanks for the replies.  I'm still torn as to what will come out of the logs.  I suspect will follow DanG's suggestion and see what seems best per log.  I'll probably try going with largest lumber which seems possible and that I can handle.  Can always make it smaller.

Property officially hit the market yesterday.  Very sad day to lose some dreams.
Catvet

Northern Vermont

WDH

One issue with large beams is that they are difficult to dry and will tend to warp, twist, and check due to drying stress.  Why not saw them up into a mix of 1" and 2" boards with a little  4" thrown in along the lines that DanG suggested?  You might end up with a better yield and a better product.  Just a thought.

I know you are sorry to have to sell.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!