iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portland OR -- Black Locust

Started by OlJarhead, May 30, 2018, 08:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Anyone in the Portland Oregon area (or willing to drive there) interested in black locust?  80+ year old trees possibly 4 feet at chest height.

My sisters pianist has had to bring two trees down and is trying to sell them or at least parts of them and is considering burning them.  It's an awfully long way for me to haul the mill (about 300 miles) though I am considering it.  The question is:  does anyone buy big locust logs?

If not, I might have to consider hauling the mill there just to help him get something out of them
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Crossroads

Kinda in the same boat, it's almost 300 miles round trip for me too. I'd happily make the drive for hire, but probably not to buy logs. I hope you find a buyer.....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

samandothers

That is some large black locust!  Would like to have for exterior use on a project just a bit fer piece to drive to fetch them!

ST Ranch

Erik - you might try contacting Katie Wilcox from Roy WA

Katie and her dad JT were featured in a WM Way issue last summer and she is into making high end rustic furniture.

She goes under Hart's Lake Pioneer Lumber Co.

Just a thought - Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

OlJarhead

Have her on FB -- she's up north in WA and probably the same distance as me but I can ask if she's interested.  That's some BIG stuff for her LT35 though! :o

I was thinking the biggest log would need to be slabbed down a bit with a BIG chainsaw first.

OlJarhead

Msg'd Kate and RedBeard (he was looking for mill squishers a while back).

If no takers I might have to haul the mill over to Portland and mill them up on shares for him ;)  He's the pianist for my sister (like jazz check out Heather Keizur)

mad murdock

I have milled about 1 mbf or so of black locust. Big problem is it desirable to mill as soon as possible after dropping tree as it likes to crack bad as soon as or shortly after it is bucked. Though the cracks usually go only a few inches from the bucked point depending of course on tension in log, which usually is extensive. Makes nice stuff though. It is my pick if I were to build a woodworking bench tabletop. It is dense tough wood!  I am close to PDX but unless they wanted to mill on some sort of shares basis, I would not be interested in buying the logs, unless they wanted to pay for milling. There too, milling is slow going even with my circle mill. I Can average maybe 75 bd ft an hour. Maybe a bit more with a helper. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

OlJarhead

mad murdock

Certainly. There is no size limit on the logs I Can mill. Length to about 21 ft and dia is unlimited. I am on a redwood log now that is about 79" wide on the big end and about 74" on the small end. I posted a thread with a pic or 2 titled "does this log make my mill look big?"
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

OlJarhead

Cool.  I shold have some pics to post soon and plan to get some good measurements.

I may mill this up for him but black locust would be tough to slab me thinks.

He will do milling for shares for those interested also.  Truth is, he didn't know what to do and though of using some for firewood (I would hate to see any good wood burned up!) but my sister suggested he contact me since I have a mill ;)

Howdy

I would be happy to take a look at the logs if you need an uninformed guy who doesn't know a thing about trees or milling to give his six bucks worth (inflation you know) opinion.  I live just outside Portland so I could hop into the city and sniff the sap anytime.  
Howdy

Magicman

There you go!!  Howdy would also take it on a Bus, Train, RV, or Snowshoe ride.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Quote from: Howdy on May 31, 2018, 12:20:49 PM
I would be happy to take a look at the logs if you need an uninformed guy who doesn't know a thing about trees or milling to give his six bucks worth (inflation you know) opinion.  I live just outside Portland so I could hop into the city and sniff the sap anytime.  
Howdy
Well thanks Howdy :) and well met by the way ;) since you were there when I picked up the new mill three years ago (has it really been that long?)

OlJarhead

The first pic is of tree no2 which comes down in a week or so.  The rest are from the 1st.

Comments by Steve:
Quote#039 that massive butt end is 3'10" x 11' length
040 & 041 show the longest & relatively straight pieces   max d 24" x 15'  and 15" x 14'
042  22" x 9'
043   16" x 10.5'
044  tree #2 on left has been dead-limbed, will come down to the ground in a week or two. We will cut an opening in the hedge...directly behind it are the pieces of tree #1
045  tree #2  I estimate to be around 80' tall
Frankly, setting aside that butt which I have no idea yet what to do with (is it worth cutting down into quarters?) the rest of the logs are all doable easily enough.  Will have stress of course but then what doesn't LOL :D ;D :o

Peter Drouin

I cut some to this week.

And one red pine, It all cut easy enuff. I never get them this big
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brucer

As I recall, Black Locust is extremely decay resistant -- up there with Osage-Orange.

There's a bit of it growing in a nearby subdivision that was planted about 65 years ago. I've put the word out among local arborists that I'd be happy to dispose of any they're asked to cut down. I'd be making fence posts out of it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!