iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup 2018

Started by Chuck White, January 29, 2018, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Absolutely!  8)

Give me a little headsup and we'll be ready!

We're only about a 20 minute from Jim's sugarhouse and about the same from his gas station!

I'll PM you my contact info!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

thanks     ya last summer i was only about 1/4 mile from your house i turned around to soon i think i turned around by the fire house 

Chuck White

I live 2 miles up the Blanchard Hill Rd, on the Russell end of the road it starts right at the bridge over the Grasse River, on County Rt 24!

But, that's not where the sugarhouse is, that's on Fordham Hill Rd!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

i guess i was way off  :D :D

Peter Drouin

Picking here, I'm selling ½ cord slabs for boiling, 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I don't have any contacts with the Big Boys. But the Small Boys are tapping and it's running. Yes,it will stop,way too early for this area,and hope it will start again.
I would like to do it,but I need a building to do the boiling in. I know I said the same thing last year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

This morning we have 58°, with no wind, not much chance with a good haul of sap today!  :-\

Supposed to cool down in the next couple of days!

EDIT 3:30PM:  We gathered around 300 gallons +/- this morning and boiled, we ended up with 9.4 gallons today, makes the total 15.6 gallons so far!  

celliott

Here's our new RO chewing through sap at over 100 gallons per minute (Don't know how much it really is going at, the gauge is pegged) We had planned on it doing 6000 gallons per hour, it's exceeding that which is good. Taking the sap to 34% sugar. Lots of water going out, not alot of concentrate, but what there is will only boil about 2.5 gallons to get a gallon of syrup.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

celliott

We haven't boiled yet, planning on one sugarhouse boiling tomorrow and the new one going Friday. We have a refrigerated 6000 gallon bulk tank to keep the concentrate in. We've been checking for leaks and ironing out problem spots. It's still way early for us, alot of snow in the woods, trees really aren't thawed out yet. One load of sap tested 1.1%, the new woods is running 2%, but nothing is running very hard yet. A good primer but we gotta think, we always make a ton of syrup in April, there's a week left of February.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Plankton

Quote from: Mapleman on February 20, 2018, 07:31:38 AM
I put out around 1800 taps here in Southern Vermont.  I haven't tapped yet, but plan to get started this Thursday after the warm weather passes.  I don't think I've missed much, other sugarmakers nearby who are tapped haven't gotten much sap yet.  I did get everything cleaned and set up in the sugar house so that's out of the way.  Things look better for the coming week (if you can believe the weatherman!).
Whereabouts in southern vt if you don't mind me asking? I only ask because I work tapping and vacuum walking for a few different producers in so. Vt

Celliot that looks like one heck of an ro 100 gals a min to 34%! That's ripping. Who built that one?

celliott

Quote from: Plankton on February 21, 2018, 07:14:29 PM
I put out around 1800 taps here in Southern Vermont.  I haven't tapped yet, but plan to get started this Thursday after the warm weather passes.  I don't think I've missed much, other sugarmakers nearby who are tapped haven't gotten much sap yet.  I did get everything cleaned and set up in the sugar house so that's out of the way.  Things look better for the coming week (if you can believe the weatherman!).
Whereabouts in southern vt if you don't mind me asking? I only ask because I work tapping and vacuum walking for a few different producers in so. Vt

Celliot that looks like one heck of an ro 100 gals a min to 34%! That's ripping. Who built that one?
It's an H20 innovations machine, custom made. 24 posts, 18 regular, 6 high brix. Glenn thinks it's the fastest\biggest single machine in the country. We'll be adding another 3 RO's and evaporators in the coming years. Would be a total capacity of 24,000 gallons of sap per hour and 600 gallons of syrup per hour.
H20 developed the first high brix system, RO and evaporator. The evaporator is a 7'x20', and it only has 3' of flue pan, the rest is all flat to slow down the evaporation rate coupled with the high sugar concentration. The maple flavor is developed in the flat pans where it slows down and carmelizes and cooks. If you tried 34% on a standard rig it'd be a disaster.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Chuck White

No gathering or boiling today, so we bottled up 15 gallons of syrup!

Mapleman

Quote from: Plankton on February 21, 2018, 07:14:29 PM

I'm in Marlboro, a small town between Brattleboro and Wilmington.  
I'll be finished tapping tomorrow, I probably should have started taping earlier, but oh well.  The weather looks great this coming week....
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Ed_K

We started on Tuesday this is the first tap.

I did the last one, Rita tapped did all the rest.
Ed K

celliott

Yesterday was the first boil at the Cabot sugarhouse, made 400 gallons, today was the first boil at the new facility in Eden, looking like around 500 gallons there. 
We are working on installing more wire pipe and tubing, looks like we'll get another 2500 or so in between vacuum checking when it's cold. Maybe more depending how long it stays cold.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Here's some pictures of the two evaporators. The one in Cabot is a 6x16 lapierre turbo with a piggyback and steam away, the one in Eden is a 7x20 high brix rig, with only 3' of flue pan, the rest is all flat pan, this rig can only be coupled with a high brix RO machine that takes sap to 30-35%.

That's a 24" filter press you can just see in the last picture. We have one in Cabot as well. The only way to filter the volume of syrup that comes off of these evaporators. Each evaporator will produce around 150 gallons of syrup per hour, they just get there different ways. The lapierre rig takes 15% concentrate and has alot of enhancements to boil sap fast, the H20 rig takes concentrate in at 35% (that's 2.5 gallons of sap to 1 gallon syrup) and boils it slowly in the flat pans to help develop good flavor.
It's alot of stainless steel that's for sure!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Chuck White

Nothing happened yesterday, so we did a little clean-up around the sugarhouse!

We went home early afternoon, everything still frozen up, so we figured nothing would happen and today would be another "putter around" day, but we were all surprised :o :o :o when we saw the first barrel was a little over half full, so the plans changed!

We had several barrels that were full, and a couple that were actually running over!

We gathered a little over 1,300 gallons of sap and once the gathering started, we fired up the RO and the evaporator!

We did gather some more after lunch!

We made 17½ gallons of syrup today, and were shutting down at about 3:30!

Mapleman

Like Chuck, we had a pretty good run here too.  Must have started sometime in the night because it was going strong by morning.  With the vacuum on we walked the lines we tapped the last few days to get all the leaks fixed.  With the system tight and the vacuum up around 26" the sap ran even better.  Too late and too tired to boil this evening, so we'll light off tomorrow.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Chuck White

Another surprise!

Sap ran like crazy on a day that most wouldn't have even checked!

We gathered and ended up making around 20 gallons of syrup! 

Shut the evaporator down at 11:00 PM, all sap is in the evaporator, and there will be more sap to gather tomorrow!

Chuck White

Almost 600 gallons of sap today, we are over 60 gallons of syrup now!

coxy

Ed_K

We closed the tank valve's on Sun. morning and the sap hasn't run since :(.Hope to have enough energy to walk the lines and count taps. It's a beautiful day out today, saw geese going north this morning when I went to check the tanks.
Ed K

Chuck White

Gathered about 530 gallons of sap today and boiled, got a little over 18 gallons of syrup!

Pushing toward 80 gallons of syrup so far!

Chuck White

Another 450 gallons of sap today and then, 10 gallons of syrup!

Ed_K

Sweetened the pans yesterday with 160 gals not running good at all :(. I found out after 7 hrs that I can't work that hard with this cancer :( . At this point I'm not sure what I'll do if we get some real good runs.The real bummer is I love sugaring more than logging. Been addicted to sugaring since I was 7 :) .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!